Who are the real wild animals?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SpheresOfBalance

Re: Who are the real wild animals?

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Arising_uk wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:What? You don't celebrate Thanksgiving? I don't know why, it was yours up until July 4th 1776. ;-)
I doubt it was celebrated in England in 1775, a quaint colonial celebration I'd heard, something to do with thanking the Indians and 'god' or some such.
The question was laced with sarcasm and was me razzing Britain for losing.
It told you, I can't see for crap and I can't type for crap, I spend hours verifying my data before posting in the interest of being accurate. I really get pissy when I get hit with a barrage of questions and false assumptions of my points, some of which I feel are either self evident or have already been covered. It becomes overwhelming. I prefer answering one liner's. OK, maybe two or thee wouldn't be so bad. I absolutely hate rehashing because I don't like spinning my wheels. One likes to feel like they're making some progress.
Don't be ridiculous! Take all the time you need to process this barrage that comes only in reply, if it appears to quick or ill thought out, be reassured I've spent a lot of time thinking about it. Rehashing is an aspect of memory.
You understand that it's not that, my understanding of what you're saying is complicated, by any means. As long as you speak in everyday language, like you'd use at work, I'm fine. The point is I don't want to take all that time. because I feel like I'm getting nowhere.
I'm not talking about controlling your resolve. I'm talking about controlling your perception via my speech. I'm not trying to impress anyone with my vocab. With me it's about effective, emphatic articulation.
Then you ought to lose the idea that it has to be 'empathy', as this is a subjective term so far. When you say "controlling" my perception by your speech, what do you mean? As I might agree.
I didn't use a form of the word 'empathy, ' look again I'm sure you'll see a TOTALLY different word, 'emphatic.'
Pat yourself on the back, why don't you?
Not what I intended, I meant, writing comprehensively itself is one of the most mentally taxing and efficient mental exercises man has discovered. Doing it in a philosophy forum is a gym.
Yes, I thought this may be what you'd say. As I typed, I realized the dual possibilities, but decided to maintain my original interpretation, because it was more fun. ;-)

Of course in this case I tend to agree.

I'm glad you included 'may,' because from my perspective, 'intentions' is like 'way' not the right word. I would say, 'emotional manifestations.'
Manifestations of what?
Well, I already mentioned one 'frustration' to a much lesser degree 'anger.' The underlying casuals of those emotions flaring are from my childhood, of course. Yes even at this age, I'm self psychoanalyzing. Everyone has some emotional baggage associated with their childhood, whether they realize it or not.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:The question was laced with sarcasm and was me razzing Britain for losing.
Doh!

You do know that explaining sarcasm means it isn't?
You understand that it's not that, my understanding of what you're saying is complicated, by any means. As long as you speak in everyday language, like you'd use at work, I'm fine. The point is I don't want to take all that time. because I feel like I'm getting nowhere.
Where is it you're are going?
I didn't use a form of the word 'empathy, ' look again I'm sure you'll see a TOTALLY different word, 'emphatic.'
Whoops! :oops: What makes you think that such an approach is possible in this medium?
Yes, I thought this may be what you'd say. As I typed, I realized the dual possibilities, but decided to maintain my original interpretation, because it was more fun. ;-)
Which is why I replied as I did.
Of course in this case I tend to agree.
Nice to agree again.
Well, I already mentioned one 'frustration' to a much lesser degree 'anger.' The underlying casuals of those emotions flaring are from my childhood, of course. Yes even at this age, I'm self psychoanalyzing. Everyone has some emotional baggage associated with their childhood, whether they realize it or not.
I'm not a Freudian so the "from my childhood, of course" rings little bells. I think 'self-psychoanalyzing' generally needs another present. I think your last sentence pretty much sums-up what I think about Fraudians.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

.......................................................Image

......................................................Image

.........................................................Image

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Washoe

Washoe...

Self-awareness and emotion

One of Washoe's caretakers was pregnant and missed work for many weeks after she miscarried. Roger Fouts recounts the following situation:

"People who should be there for her and aren't are often given the cold shoulder--her way of informing them that she's miffed at them. Washoe greeted Kat [the caretaker] in just this way when she finally returned to work with the chimps. Kat made her apologies to Washoe, then decided to tell her the truth, signing "MY BABY DIED." Washoe stared at her, then looked down. She finally peered into Kat's eyes again and carefully signed "CRY", touching her cheek and drawing her finger down the path a tear would make on a human. (Chimpanzees don't shed tears.) Kat later remarked that that one sign told her more about Washoe and her mental capabilities than all her longer, grammatically perfect sentences."

(Note: Washoe herself lost two children; one baby died shortly after birth of a heart defect, the other baby, Sequoyah, died of a staph infection at two months of age.)

When Washoe was shown an image of herself in the mirror, and asked what she was seeing, she replied: "Me, Washoe." Primate expert Jane Goodall, who has studied and lived with chimpanzees for decades, believes that this might indicate some level of self awareness. Washoe experienced an identity crisis when she was first introduced to other chimpanzees. She was shocked to learn that she was not human, but gradually came to accept that she was a chimpanzee, and to enjoy associating with other chimps.

Washoe also enjoyed playing pretend with her dolls, which she would bathe and talk to and would act out imaginary scenarios.

When new students came to work with Washoe, she would slow down her rate of signing for novice speakers of sign language, which had a humbling effect on many of them.