"Realism" is an Evolutionary Default.

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Iwannaplato

Re: "Realism" is an Evolutionary Default.

Post by Iwannaplato »

Atla wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:37 am You're totally ignorant. Philosophical realism is a name for a group of different realisms, some take the absolute stance, some don't.

Philosophical realism is NOT one philosophy.
It isn't really an 'it', even. It's not a label for a kind of philosophy or even a group of philosophies. If you go to a philosophy resource they just call realism, realism. Wikipedia, being a non-philosophical resource is...well, I said it before....
He's also confusing Wikipedia's use of the header 'Philosophical Realism' as if it is a classification in Philosophy: like some counterpart to Metaphysical Idealism or Property Dualism. When actually it's just Wikipedia disambiguating realism in philosophy from realism in Art or Films or....whatever.
IOW the title of that page is just letting us know it's not talking about realism in some field other than philosophy.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:20 am
Atla wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:37 am You're totally ignorant. Philosophical realism is a name for a group of different realisms, some take the absolute stance, some don't.

Philosophical realism is NOT one philosophy.
It isn't really an 'it', even. It's not a label for a kind of philosophy or even a group of philosophies. If you go to a philosophy resource they just call realism, realism. Wikipedia, being a non-philosophical resource is...well, I said it before....
He's also confusing Wikipedia's use of the header 'Philosophical Realism' as if it is a classification in Philosophy: like some counterpart to Metaphysical Idealism or Property Dualism. When actually it's just Wikipedia disambiguating realism in philosophy from realism in Art or Films or....whatever.
IOW the title of that page is just letting us know it's not talking about realism in some field other than philosophy.
Exactly. I wonder if one day we'll find out, what position VA has been arguing for and what position VA has been arguing against for years. Both are misteries.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Atla wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:26 am Exactly. I wonder if one day we'll find out, what position VA has been arguing for and what position VA has been arguing against for years. Both are misteries.
I think that last is a typo. You must have meant

*ministries*
or perhaps
*miniseries*
Atla

Post by Atla »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:46 am
Atla wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:26 am Exactly. I wonder if one day we'll find out, what position VA has been arguing for and what position VA has been arguing against for years. Both are misteries.
I think that last is a typo. You must have meant

*ministries*
or perhaps
*miniseries*
or miseries

I like English btw, you can pack a lot of meaning into just a few words. It's pretty optimal for philosophy.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Atla wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:52 am or miseries

I like English btw, you can pack a lot of meaning into just a few words. It's pretty optimal for philosophy.
'Miseries' is best, yes. Missed that. Are you not a native E speaker?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:21 pm

No of course not. I thought it shows.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Atla wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:25 pm

I haven't noticed. I don't care about spelling unless it's making it hard for me to read something. Otherwise you flew under the radar. There is some distracting competition, and while I'm not going back to check your posts, I'm happy with my guess that you're pretty solid.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:08 pm
Atla wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:25 pm
I haven't noticed. I don't care about spelling unless it's making it hard for me to read something. Otherwise you flew under the radar. There is some distracting competition, and while I'm not going back to check your posts, I'm happy with my guess that you're pretty solid.
Ha! That's good :)
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Peter Holmes wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:24 am
Whatever is fact [reality, truth, knowledge] is contingent upon a human-based FSERC of which the scientific FSERC is the most credible and objective.
Patently and demonstrably false. And self-contradictory. And stupidly anthropocentric. 'Reality is contingent upon that alien species on a planet on the other side of the universe.'

Reality is not 'contingent upon' (?) humans whatsoever. Human knowledge and descriptions of reality are, however, human phenomena. That's trivially true.
First it is impossible to deduce an absolutely independent reality.
The idea of an independent reality is driven by a necessary evolutionary default to facilitate survival, since it was adapted, it is useful but has its limit.
However, desperate realists ideologized this necessary independent reality as absolute in terms of 'realism' i.e. metaphysical or philosophical realism.
Since the emergence of philosophy, 'realism' has been infected with all sorts of malignant philosophical consequences.
Are you aware of them? e.g. dualism, skepticism, theological nonsense, antinomies, reality-gap, metaphysical delusions, etc.

It is due to the above philosophical malignancy that some philosophy who oppose to 'realism' introduce their specific antirealism [mine = more to Kantianism].

Antirealism cures philosophy of malignant philosophical ideologies.
In the case of Kantianism, reality is confine to what humans are capable of realizing the reality that spontaneously emerged.
This is limited to what is experiential and observable [directly and indirectly] with reinforcement of critical thinking, rationality and wisdom.