Mathematicism

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Mathematicism

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Godelian is one good example and practitioner of Mathematicism in a very fundamentalist and dogmatic sense.
Mathematicism is 'the effort to employ the formal structure and rigorous method of mathematics as a model for the conduct of philosophy'.[1] or else it is the epistemological view that reality is fundamentally mathematical.[2] The term has been applied to a number of philosophers, including Pythagoras[3] and René Descartes[4] although the term is not used by themselves.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematicism
Those adopting Mathematicism indulge in the following;
Mathematical universe hypothesis
In physics and cosmology, the mathematical universe hypothesis (MUH), also known as the ultimate ensemble theory, is a speculative "theory of everything" (TOE) proposed by cosmologist Max Tegmark.[1][2] According to the hypothesis, the universe is a mathematical object in and of itself. Furthermore, Tegmark suggests that not only is the universe mathematical, but it is also computable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathemati ... hypothesis

A proper discussion and debates of the Philosophy of Mathematics should contrast,
Mathematical Realism vs Mathematical antirealism.

Mathematical Realism is grounded on philosophical realism and/or metaphysical realism which basis is illusory.

Mathematical anti-realism [Kantian] is realistic as grounded on a human-based Framework and System [FSERC].

Discuss??
View??
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Mathematicism

Notes: KIV
Veritas Aequitas

Notes:

The uses and abuses of mathematics in early modern philosophy: introduction
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 017-1670-y
godelian

Post by godelian »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:58 am Godelian is one good example and practitioner of Mathematicism in a very fundamentalist and dogmatic sense.
I do not believe in mathematicism.
Mathematicism is 'the effort to employ the formal structure and rigorous method of mathematics as a model for the conduct of philosophy'
If a problem lends itself to the axiomatic or to the scientific or to the historical method -- most problems do not -- it is preferable to use one of these methods.
.[1] or else it is the epistemological view that reality is fundamentally mathematical.[2]
I do not believe that the physical universe is a mathematical object. I do believe, however, that it could be structurally similar to one.
Mathematical universe hypothesis
In physics and cosmology, the mathematical universe hypothesis (MUH), also known as the ultimate ensemble theory, is a speculative "theory of everything" (TOE) proposed by cosmologist Max Tegmark.[1][2] According to the hypothesis, the universe is a mathematical object in and of itself. Furthermore, Tegmark suggests that not only is the universe mathematical, but it is also computable.
I do not believe that the universe is a mathematical object. It could, however, be structurally similar to one. I also do not believe that the universe would be computable.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:58 am Mathematical anti-realism [Kantian] is realistic as grounded on a human-based Framework and System [FSERC].
There is nothing wrong with mathematical anti-realism. Mathematics can equally well be viewed as mere symbol manipulation. That is not wrong. In fact, that view is always correct.

Kant, however, was wrong to teach that natural numbers are not axiomatic. Less than a century later, the natural numbers were successfully axiomatized by Peano and Dedekind.