KANT BIRTHDAY PARTY!

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RickLewis

KANT BIRTHDAY PARTY!

Post by RickLewis »

Today, 22nd April 2024, is Immanuel Kant's 300th birthday. We cover this extensively in the new issue of Philosophy Now, and in a few hours (19:30 UK, 14:30 EST etc) we'll be holding a #Kant birthday party on Zoom. You are invited! Details & link are available here:

https://www.meetup.com/london-philosoph ... 300494419/
promethean75

Re: KANT BIRTHDAY PARTY!

Post by promethean75 »

PN members should consider paying homage to Kant by taking a philosophers walk today. Legend has it the time and place of Kant's daily walks were so consistent that neighbors would set their clocks by his passing.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

promethean75 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:22 pm PN members should consider paying homage to Kant by taking a philosophers walk today. Legend has it the time and place of Kant's daily walks were so consistent that neighbors would set their clocks by his passing.
a touch morbid don't you think?

-Imp
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"by his passing'; his physical death, not his walking by.

Hahaha

this fuckin guy
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

So is this guy 'Kant' famous for having the most accurate clock in the village?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

No u dumbassez. He would walk at the same time during the day by your house so u could be like 'oh it must be noon becuz there goes Immanuel on his daily walk.'
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Imp's comment was decently played tho.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

promethean75 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:08 am No u dumbassez. He would walk at the same time during the day by your house so u could be like 'oh it must be noon becuz there goes Immanuel on his daily walk.'
Yeah, I get that but how did Kant know it was time for a walk?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:23 am Yeah, I get that but how did Kant know it was time for a walk?
Some kind of imperative built into him I’d reckon.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:38 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:23 am Yeah, I get that but how did Kant know it was time for a walk?
Some kind of imperative built into him I’d reckon.
Yes, my original statement was only intended to be humourous in some way.

There was a fantastic Ozzy TV series "Sea Change" set in a small seaside town. Similarly to Kant, there was a fella that had a set routine each day of the week and the entire village got mucked about the day his routine was interupted,
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

I am a great fan of Kant though I do not agree with Kant totally.
Kant is one of the Greatest Western Philosopher of ALL Times; thus for one to be familiar with Kant thoroughly one will have a lot to gain [not necessary agree] philosophically from Kant's philosophy.

One significant plus from Kant is his Completeness and systematicity approach to philosophical problems in their principles and substance but on knowledge limited to his time.
Kant wrote:In this enquiry I have made Completeness my chief aim, and I venture to assert that there is not a single metaphysical problem which has not been solved, or for the solution of which the key at least has not been supplied.

Pure Reason is, indeed, so perfect a Unity
that if its Principle were insufficient for the solution of even a single one of all the questions to which it itself gives birth
we should have no alternative but to reject the Principle,
since we should then no longer be able to place implicit reliance upon it in dealing with any one of the other questions. [Axiii]

I have to deal with nothing save Reason itself and its Pure Thinking; and to obtain complete Knowledge of these, there is no need to go far afield, since I come upon them in my own self.
Common Logic itself supplies an example, how all the simple acts of Reason can be enumerated Completely and Systematically. [Axiv]
Kant did indeed delivered as promised.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Here is a write-up on Kant from DW-media.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUY20tXsOfg&t=284s
Note the point re Kant's racism is a misrepresentation of Kant's overall message.
Use your brain!
With that message, Immanuel Kant called on people to think for themselves. Born 300 years ago in Königsberg, Prussia, he developed his philosophy in a world of absolutist rulers. He confidently called on people to stop allowing themselves to be treated like "dumb animals" by politicians and the church.

And he was almost shockingly modern: Kant wanted world peace ensured by treaties between nations. His motto was “Make laws, not war.” That made Kant a pioneer of modern international law. If it were up to him, there wouldn’t even be standing armies to threaten other countries.

In addition, Kant set ethical norms for us all, including in everyday life: he demanded that no one should be used as a means to an end, that no one should be instrumentalized. This idea has become famous as the “Categorical Imperative.”

But it’s also true that some of Kant’s views would today be considered racist, antisemitic and sexist – and completely contradictory to his own philosophy. As progressive as he was in some areas, in others he was simply a product of his era and environment.

Yet, as an old man, Kant was fervently committed to global justice, and it’s astonishing how many of his ideas sound almost utopian, even in the 21st century. In 1795, he called for “world citizenship,” a kind of right of visitation for all people on Earth: freedom of movement without passports or visas. And he wanted refugees to be taken in.

Immanuel Kant: an amazing thinker who still has a lot to say to us 300 years after his birth!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUY20tXsOfg&t=284s