Moral Compass

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

promethean75

Re: Moral Compass

Post by promethean75 »

"Who is *for* it and who is *against* it and why?"

Pretty much everybody is against a heat death but the big sporting goods brands like Gortex and North Face. There is profit to be made from entropy. During the last thousand years of life on erf, it'll be so cold that everybody will be wearing winter clothes year round.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:06 pm Why is the argument -- the supposition, the belief in -- heat-death so vital to the conversation? If there is a heat-death (etc.) what is the meaning of it? Why is this being debated here? Who is *for* it and who is *against* it and why?
Just because this great, possibly black-hole powered engine (see this post - viewtopic.php?t=40284) is projected to wear-out sometime in the extremely distant future,...

...it doesn't mean that its inventor is not ready, willing, and able to re-combobulate its parts (or create new ones), give it a crank, and get it running again...

_______
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:05 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:53 pm
Harbal wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:49 pm
But neither can you imagine what sort of evidence might ever convince me of God's existence, either.
That's only because there is no sort of evidence you'll accept. It's YOU that it has to convince...I'm already convinced. I can't make it up for you. And you don't even have a bar that can be met.
But I don't have any reason to think about it.
And yet, here you are...thinking about it. :wink:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:46 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:53 pm
That's only because there is no sort of evidence you'll accept. It's YOU that it has to convince...I'm already convinced. I can't make it up for you. And you don't even have a bar that can be met.
If I had any control over the subject of God coming up, believe me I would exert it.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:53 pm

If I had any control over the subject of God coming up, believe me I would exert it.
You bring it up when nobody else does. But it does come up in most discussions oriented to truth...for the very obvious reason that it makes all the difference in the world what one believes about God. So it's bound to be a common topic in philosophy.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:10 pm
You bring it up when nobody else does. But it does come up in most discussions oriented to truth...for the very obvious reason that it makes all the difference in the world what one believes about God. So it's bound to be a common topic in philosophy.
I often get a sense that God isn't really the final destination with you, but, rather, just a means to an end. Once we believe in God, or specifically your God, then you can start on your real mission of telling us how we have to live our lives in order to satisfy God. Except, in truth, it is how we need to live our lives in order to satisfy you. Very similar, in fact, to what Alexis Jacobi is attempting, but, to give him credit, he is doing it with a bit more honesty than you are. Giving credit to Alexis, for whatever reason, doesn't come easily to me, btw. 🙂
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:13 pm

I often get a sense that God isn't really the final destination with you, but, rather, just a means to an end.
Then your senses are deceiving you, I'm afraid.

There are people who "use" God for other purposes they have. I would not have the audacity to try to be one of them. Nor would I wish to end up answering for what they do.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:31 pm
I often get a sense that God isn't really the final destination with you, but, rather, just a means to an end.
Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but you are hardly likely to admit to it if they are not, are you?
There are people who "use" God for other purposes they have. I would not have the audacity to try to be one of them.
You say that, but I have never found you to be lacking in audacity. In this instance, I am defining audacity as the quality of not being daunted by attempting to get away with stuff that no one has a right to get away with.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:44 pm
Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but you are hardly likely to admit to it if they are not, are you?
I can't say. I'm telling the truth, so I can't imagine what else you'd want to hear. I guess you can have a lie, if you prefer it. But you'll have to invent it for yourself. I'm certainly not going to help you with that.
...attempting to get away with stuff that no one has a right to get away with.
And what would that be?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:35 pm
Harbal wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:44 pm
I can't say. I'm telling the truth, so I can't imagine what else you'd want to hear.
The truth is the only thing I want to hear, and if that's what you say you are telling me, I accept it.
IC wrote:
Harbal wrote:...attempting to get away with stuff that no one has a right to get away with.
And what would that be?
I can't think of anything specific right now, so I will withdraw the allegation.