Immortality Is Possible—We Just Have to Overcome One Stubborn Law of Physics

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

socrattus

Post by socrattus »

Our bodies naturally experience more and more cellular chaos over time. What if we could stop it?
BY SUSAN LAHEY PUBLISHED: APR 5, 2024
-----
“So why is the second law of thermodynamics the probable cause of aging? It governs the behavio
r of all molecules; it can explain the ultimate cause of all other theories of aging.”
This thermal motion, Hoffman says, provides a source of energy that these molecular machines
can harness for their work; but it is also responsible for breaking bonds between molecules.
When he and his colleagues replicated this action in a lab, they found “the survival probability
of the bonds plotted against applied force looks just like human survival plotted versus age…
which suggests a possible connection between breaking protein bonds and aging—
and between aging and thermal motion.”
#
“So why is the second law of thermodynamics the probable cause of aging?
It governs the behavior of all molecules; it can explain the ultimate cause
of all other theories of aging; it is testable using current technologies;
it’s falsifiable; it is universal and applies to both animate and inanimate objects.”
#
Entropy is the condition of things moving from a more-ordered state to a less-ordered state;
Rudolf Clausius first postulated the concept in the 1850s. The second law of thermodynamics,
the law of entropy, states that “if the physical process is irreversible, the entropy of the system
and the environment must increase; the final entropy must be greater than the initial entropy.”
https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... d+Last+30D
Gary Childress

Re: Immortality Is Possible—We Just Have to Overcome One Stubborn Law of Physics

Post by Gary Childress »

socrattus wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:15 am Immortality Is Possible—We Just Have to Overcome One Stubborn Law of Physics
Our bodies naturally experience more and more cellular chaos over time. What if we could stop it?
-----
“So why is the second law of thermodynamics the probable cause of aging? It governs the behavio
r of all molecules; it can explain the ultimate cause of all other theories of aging.”
This thermal motion, Hoffman says, provides a source of energy that these molecular machines
can harness for their work; but it is also responsible for breaking bonds between molecules.
When he and his colleagues replicated this action in a lab, they found “the survival probability
of the bonds plotted against applied force looks just like human survival plotted versus age…
#
it’s falsifiable; it is universal and applies to both animate and inanimate objects.”
#
Entropy is the condition of things moving from a more-ordered state to a less-ordered state;
Rudolf Clausius first postulated the concept in the 1850s. The second law of thermodynamics,
the law of entropy, states that “if the physical process is irreversible, the entropy of the system
and the environment must increase; the final entropy must be greater than the initial entropy.”
I don't know. I suppose someday science might at least manage to extend the life of human bodies through regenerating tissue and molecules as though they're in the process of early childhood development. Essentially, perpetual generation and regeneration, however, there'll never be immortality, because a human body couldn't' be regenerated forever in a universe that itself is finite in its own lifespan. So again, the law of thermodynamics would spell the end of possible immortality.

Re: Immortality Is Possible—We Just Have to Overcome One Stubborn Law of Physics

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:44 am
socrattus wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:15 am Immortality Is Possible—We Just Have to Overcome One Stubborn Law of Physics
-----
#
#
I don't know. I suppose someday science might at least manage to extend the life of human bodies through regenerating tissue and molecules as though they're in the process of early childhood development. Essentially, perpetual generation and regeneration, however, there'll never be immortality, because a human body couldn't' be regenerated forever in a universe that itself is finite in its own lifespan. So again, the law of thermodynamics would spell the end of possible immortality.
Why do you believe, absolutely, that the Universe, Itself, is finite, especially considering the fact that there is no actual proof for this belief here?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:01 am
-----
#
#
Why do you believe, absolutely, that the Universe, Itself, is finite, especially considering the fact that there is no actual proof for this belief here?
I suppose because it seems to be conventional scientific wisdom that the Universe is finite. If prevailing scientific wisdom were otherwise, I'd probably believe otherwise.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Don't hog the ride. Give someone else a chance to experience life.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:26 am

I suppose because it seems to be conventional scientific wisdom that the Universe is finite. If prevailing scientific wisdom were otherwise, I'd probably believe otherwise.
So, here 'we' have another example, of another one, who would just believe absolutely any thing is true, if it is the 'current' accepted belief or opinion.

Contrary to 'popular belief', when this is being written, why it took human beings to evolve to being able to 'see' absolutely clearly what the actual irrefutable Truth of things really are, is blatantly obvious.

Even though the story about how it took human beings so long to 'see', understand, and accept that the earth revolves around the sun was because they were believing things that were not true at all, human beings, in the days when this was being written, would still believe things to be true that were completely not true at all.

For some human beings they, literally, lived their whole life times never learning, thus never knowing, how to just 'look' and 'see' clearly.

They were, literally, stopped and prevented from doing so because of their 'currently' held onto beliefs and assumptions.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:42 am

So, here 'we' have another example, of another one, who would just believe absolutely any thing is true, if it is the 'current' accepted belief or opinion.

Contrary to 'popular belief', when this is being written, why it took human beings to evolve to being able to 'see' absolutely clearly what the actual irrefutable Truth of things really are, is blatantly obvious.

Even though the story about how it took human beings so long to 'see', understand, and accept that the earth revolves around the sun was because they were believing things that were not true at all, human beings, in the days when this was being written, would still believe things to be true that were completely not true at all.

For some human beings they, literally, lived their whole life times never learning, thus never knowing, how to just 'look' and 'see' clearly.

They were, literally, stopped and prevented from doing so because of their 'currently' held onto beliefs and assumptions.
Your schtick is getting a little old, Age. It's the same regurgitated statements over and over. We seem to see things differently, and that is whatever it is. But I'm not going to learn any more from you than you are going to learn from me. I'm set in my ways and it's going to take more than words typed on a screen from some anonymous Internet hack to change my mind about a lot of things. I"m sorry if that disappoints you or doesn't meet with your approval, however, I find it insulting to constantly be told how apparently dimwitted I am. If I'm dimwitted then I must have learned all the wrong things when I went to college. And if that is so, then how do you know you are not equally a victim of ignorance through education today?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

phyllo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:39 am
Don't hog the ride. Give someone else a chance to experience life.
That sounds similar to my take on things as well. 8 billion is a lot of people on this planet. If no one ever dies and babies keep popping in at the rate they are, then it's going to get more and more cramped and miserable eventually. I prefer to go before that happens. I'll let the next generations have at it for a while just as I did.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

That sounds similar to my take on things as well. 8 billion is a lot of people on this planet. If no one ever dies and babies keep popping in at the rate they are, then it's going to get more and more cramped and miserable eventually. I prefer to go before that happens. I'll let the next generations have at it for a while just as I did.
Of course, immortality wouldn't be for the plebs.

It would be for Elon Musk, Bill Gates, and all the other billionaires.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

when did death become a law of physics?

-Imp

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:01 am
Age wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:42 am

Your schtick is getting a little old, Age. It's the same regurgitated statements over and over. We seem to see things differently, and that is whatever it is.
Yes, as you say, you believe things are true just because it is an accepted belief by others. In fact you do not need anything else to believe something is true As you say you do not need any proof at all.

The Universe is eternal and infinite, literally because of the irrefutable proof.
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:01 am But I'm not going to learn any more from you than you are going to learn from me. I'm set in my ways and it's going to take more than words typed on a screen from some anonymous Internet hack to change my mind about a lot of things. I"m sorry if that disappoints you or doesn't meet with your approval, however, I find it insulting to constantly be told how apparently dimwitted I am.
When have I ever told you this "gary childress"?
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:01 am If I'm dimwitted then I must have learned all the wrong things when I went to college. And if that is so, then how do you know you are not equally a victim of ignorance through education today?
Because I have the actual proof.

I do not believe things just because someone tells me something.
socrattus

Post by socrattus »

Immortality does not exist.
How is the aging process related to physics (entropy)?
-----
1- The second law of thermodynamics (entropy) states:
the changes in entropy is equal to the heat of system.
2- In 1877 Ludwig Boltzmann provided the current definition of entropy: S=klnΩ
where Ω is the number of microstates whose energy equals the system's energy (S)
(S) is system's energy.
(klnΩ) is thermodynamics energy (temperature) as result of interactions
and collisions of Boltzmann's k-molar particles.
3- How does entropy apply to biological systems?
Exchanges of energy and temperature that occur in living beings
must obey the laws of physics (entropy).
Maintaining a balance between the energy and thermal systems
of biological organisms is perhaps the key to health and longevity.
----
Attachments
Boltzmann.jpg
Boltzmann.jpg (12.81 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:11 pm I do not believe things just because someone tells me something.
You're a jerk, whether you wish to believe it or not. And if you listened to others once in a while, you'd be able to change that. But you don't and you won't so you'll probably remain a jerk.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:23 am
Age wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:11 pm I do not believe things just because someone tells me something.
You're a jerk, whether you wish to believe it or not. And if you listened to others once in a while, you'd be able to change that. But you don't and you won't so you'll probably remain a jerk.
Okay. So, to you, 'I' am a jerk, but what has this got to do with you believing things are true just because someone has told you something or just because it is the 'current' accepted belief or opinion?

The Universe being finite has already being been Falsified. Although, you obviously want to believe the opposite is true.

However, until you become more open you will not learn how 'I', and the Universe, do not 'die', nor end.