Duplicity of God

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Duplicity of God

Post by Sculptor »

Saw this on FB today
A rabbi was asked by one of his students “Why did God create atheists?” After a long pause, the rabbi finally responded with a soft but sincere voice. “God created atheists” he said, “to teach us the most important lesson of them all – the lesson of true compassion. You see, when an atheist performs an act of charity, visits someone who is sick, helps someone in need, and cares for the world, he is not doing so because of some religious teaching. He does not believe that God commanded him to perform this act. In fact, he does not believe in God at all, so his actions are based on his sense of morality. Look at the kindness he bestows on others simply because he feels it to be right. When someone reaches out to you for help. You should never say ‘I’ll pray that God will help you.’ Instead, for that moment, you should become an atheist – imagine there is no God who could help, and say ‘I will help you’.”
— Martin Buber, “Tales of the Hasidim”

My question is, that since belief in god seems to be a requisite for salvation. And since God created Atheists. Does that also mean that God has condemned atheists ,who have to sacrifice their salvation just to demonstrate to the faithful that their charity is mercenary?

Ya gotta love the duplicity
mickthinks

Re: Duplicity of God

Post by mickthinks »

Ur an idiot
Impenitent

Re: Duplicity of God

Post by Impenitent »

if god created everything, then god created the devil and evil as well...

how's that for omnibenevolence?

-Imp