Mental illness / this forum presently

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Mental illness / this forum presently

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Real mental illness is very serious and requires a therapeutic environment overseen by people who understand that dealing with and helping the mentally ill is fraught with difficulties. Especially when in an “acting out” stage.

A mentally ill person often takes advantage of those who do not understand its seriousness and those taken advantage of act as they would to a friend in a down moment. Sympathy, tolerance, helpful advice that can only help for one not suffering mental illness — this is sought out by the one who is mentally ill. Those who do this (unwittingly) “enable” the one acting out of sickness to continue in it. It is unhealthily parasitic. That in itself becomes a sick relationship.

One with real mental illness needs to be in a therapeutic environment. I question if a highly conflicted forum environment, where the bizarre conflicts of the world are argued over, where ‘normal’ but somewhat underhanded typical forum interchanges take place is a good environment for such a one.
Last edited by Alexis Jacobi on Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Childress

Re: Mental illness / this form presently

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:57 pm Real mental illness is very serious and requires a therapeutic environment overseen by people who understand that dealing with and helping the mentally ill is fraught with difficulties. Especially when in an “acting out” stage.

A mentally ill person often takes advantage of those who do not understand its seriousness and those taken advantage of act as they would to a friend in a down moment. Sympathy, tolerance, helpful advice that can only help for one not suffering mental illness — this is sought out by the one who is mentally ill. Those who do this (unwittingly) “enable” the one acting out of sickness to continue in it. It is unhealthily parasitic. That in itself becomes a sick relationship.

One with real mental illness needs to be in an therapeutic environment. I question if a highly conflicted forum environment, where the bizarre conflicts of the world are argued over, where ‘normal’ but somewhat underhanded typical forum interchanges take place is a good environment for such a one.
Then it sounds like I need someone to train me. Someone who fears what I would do unrestrained.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:57 pm Real mental illness is very serious and requires a therapeutic environment overseen by people who understand that dealing with and helping the mentally ill is fraught with difficulties. Especially when in an “acting out” stage.

One with real mental illness needs to be in a therapeutic environment. I question if a highly conflicted forum environment, where the bizarre conflicts of the world are argued over, where ‘normal’ but somewhat underhanded typical forum interchanges take place is a good environment for such a one.
The reason I act out is that I'm in a prolonged stage of indecision on what I should do and dragging my feet for more time hoping that a better choice or conditions will come along. When I make my choice I want to do what is best for the universe. Since I know nothing of any great significance about the universe, I am unsure what the right choice is to make. That choice could possibly present itself as being one where I go down with the ship in order to let my crew escape. That's not an easy choice to make. I hope it never comes down to that. I hope I've put the terror stage behind me and something less fearful is ahead of us.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

I guess the first word I need to get rid of is the "my" in "my crew", for a start.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Agreed.

I will add what I've perceived from various posters over the years: In this forum environment -- although one may be truly mentally ill -- it seems that the 'insanity defense' is used to justify laziness, lack of accountability, and excessive self-indulgence.

This forum is not a healing environment... it is a stage... and those who are needy or have trouble with moderation will abuse it foolishly and selfishly.
Zenita01

Post by Zenita01 »

It's true that people commenting on this forum can make you feel even worse, but some users can offer support and compassion. I am also a member of many mental health forums, and you can really get a lot of good advice, and support there. It was on those forums that I learned how simple non-medical things can help you feel better, and that I don't always have to abuse my anxiety pills. I also found out about the Calmer app there. I use it to get better with guided meditation and combine it with other stress relief methods like sleep tools and breathing exercises. It's become a crucial part of my routine, and I use it daily.
Last edited by Zenita01 on Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Mental illness / this forum presently

Post by Age »

Human beings only do Wrong because of a mental issue, mental disability or instability, or any other word/s that just describes mental illness itself.

The fact that every adult human being does Wrong things shows or reveals the true extent of 'mental illness' among the older ones. That adult human beings 'look at' and 'see' 'mental illness' in others or the Wrong that they do, but not the 'mental illness' in "themselves" nor the Wrong one does is another sign of the extent of 'mental illness' that exists, in the days when this is being written, among the adult population.

The 'reason' why all adult human beings do Wrong is because of 'mental illness'. But, 'mental illness' is never ever an 'excuse' for doing Wrong.

Also, doing Wrong is 'justified' in that doing so is and was caused because of 'mental illness'. However, and again, absolutely no one is 'justified' in nor by doing Wrong.

Some in this forum continually 'look for' and 'see' so-called 'insanity' in others here, and while they are 'looking for' and 'seeing' 'mental illnesses' in others and while expressing 'their views' of others they are foolishly and selfishly missing the 'mental illnesses' within "themselves".
FlashDangerpants

Re: Mental illness / this forum presently

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Has something happened? Is Wizzzard claiming divine inspiration again?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:14 pm I guess the first word I need to get rid of is the "my" in "my crew", for a start.
Why would you need to do this?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:00 pm Then it sounds like I need someone to train me. Someone who fears what I would do unrestrained.
What restrains you now? What would you do if you were unrestrained?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

commonsense wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:42 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:00 pm Then it sounds like I need someone to train me. Someone who fears what I would do unrestrained.
What restrains you now? What would you do if you were unrestrained?
Good manners. Unrestrained, I'd mostly chase women.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:14 pm I guess the first word I need to get rid of is the "my" in "my crew", for a start.
?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

commonsense wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:12 pm
?
Just a bunch of nonsense. I was in the middle of a delusional psychosis at the time I wrote the above. I ended up in a psychiatric hospital shortly after writing this and stayed in until March 7.