Bard and ChatGPT?

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Iwannaplato

Re: Bard and ChatGPT?

Post by Iwannaplato »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:26 am 1. I noted 'the Demise of Ordinary Language Philosophy' [OLP] with reference to Grice;
Noted implies that it is the case. I noted that you were late. That assumes you were late. YOu asserted and someone else argued the demise of OLP. Others argue that it is not dead. One person's opinion/argument is not enough.

That said: again, it's strange that you are calling something dead that includes Wittgenstein's later philosophers, in specific language games and forms of life. This is part of another thread. IOW your own use of a part of analytic philosophy is a counterexample against its deadness.

And while W's philosophy sometimes goes against OLP, as far as language games, for example, he's in that tradition.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:58 am That said: again, it's strange that you are calling something dead that includes Wittgenstein's later philosophers, in specific language games and forms of life.
I thought it was weirder still that the "death of analytic philosophy" thing he pasted without thinking much makes a big deal of analytic philosophy placing too muchfaith in science to answer all types of question, but he's obsesses with science as the most credible and his entire morality-proper thing is predicated so heavily on mimicking science for its methodology that he has been known to argue that if you don't believe it you must also not believe in science.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:50 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:58 am That said: again, it's strange that you are calling something dead that includes Wittgenstein's later philosophers, in specific language games and forms of life.
I thought it was weirder still that the "death of analytic philosophy" thing he pasted without thinking much makes a big deal of analytic philosophy placing too muchfaith in science to answer all types of question, but he's obsesses with science as the most credible and his entire morality-proper thing is predicated so heavily on mimicking science for its methodology that he has been known to argue that if you don't believe it you must also not believe in science.
Yes, there's that also.
He finds things that seem to support one position of his or attack a position of Peter H.
He posts these, it seems with out reading them careful.
Then he has to spend months, given that he can't say 'hm, good point', putting out fires.
The last couple of weeks he's tossed a bunch of stuff out that will be very hard for him to integrate with other positions he has.

I'd say there are four main issues:
1) throws stuff out without carefully reading or thoughts about how it fits with other things
2) appeals to authority - here in the last, he 'notes' the demise of OLP based on one article. Later he will link to this as having demonstrated it. 'I already demonstrated/stated/showed.
3) no real justificiations, usually strings of assertions.
4) responses are reassertions - you often can't tell if he even read and/or understood your point.
FlashDangerpants

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:10 am 2) appeals to authority - here in the last, he 'notes' the demise of OLP based on one article. Later he will link to this as having demonstrated it. 'I already demonstrated/stated/showed.
As an addendum to that point, he has a pretty long history of insisting that dead philosophers would be fans of his if they could be dug up and reanimated. He has made a preprosterous claim about Hume agreeing with him on the subject of is/ought if Hume had only known what VA does about DNA. He's written some most saddening claims about Ludi W being into his whole FSK idea, which is some of the most Advocate level delusion I've ever read. So the appeals to authority all add up to appeals to his own authority, which he has too much "confidence" in for my tastes.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:58 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:26 am 1. I noted 'the Demise of Ordinary Language Philosophy' [OLP] with reference to Grice;
Noted implies that it is the case. I noted that you were late. That assumes you were late. YOu asserted and someone else argued the demise of OLP. Others argue that it is not dead. One person's opinion/argument is not enough.

That said: again, it's strange that you are calling something dead that includes Wittgenstein's later philosophers, in specific language games and forms of life. This is part of another thread. IOW your own use of a part of analytic philosophy is a counterexample against its deadness.

And while W's philosophy sometimes goes against OLP, as far as language games, for example, he's in that tradition.
There is the early, later and latest Wittgenstein.
The early and much of W's 'later' philosophy is 'dead'.
His 'latest' On Certainty has some credibility which is nothing to shout about.

Instead of whining, if you think otherwise, then present your arguments, this is what a philosophical forum is for.
FlashDangerpants

This is a prime example of why ChatGPT should not be trusted as a resource for argument on a site such as this.

In the excerpt below VA has clearly told CGPT to accept certain claims off camera. One of those claims is that he is very very expert in certain matters and that the machine should accept certain definitions if he provides them. See what happens next....
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:08 am [Me] From the above "We are now in a position to see why the morally unconcerned person, the person for whom moral facts are motivationally irrelevant, probably suffers a cognitive deficit with respect to moral reasoning."
Can I interpret the "morally unconcerned person" as Moral Antirealists, i.e. those who are moral nihilists and those who deny moral facts exist?
ChatGPT
Yes, your interpretation is correct.
In the context provided, the term "morally unconcerned person" refers to individuals who are indifferent or unmotivated by moral judgments, and the author suggests that these individuals likely have a cognitive deficit with respect to moral reasoning.
This aligns with the perspective of moral anti-realists, including moral nihilists or those who deny the existence of moral facts.
The idea is that individuals who reject the reality of moral facts may be, according to the author's argument, lacking in certain cognitive capacities related to moral reasoning, particularly a deficiency in empathy or sympathy.
Here, VA is able to persuade a machine to reinterpret an exceprt from Richard Boyd's How to be a moral realist essay to suddenly mean something that no serious philosopher could ever have intended. A clear academic violation and abuse of power.

In doing so, VA exploits the fact that the tool is written to be so obsequious as to accept such instruction form such a person as he to fool himself he has shown that philosophers from Hume to Mackie are all sociopathic, something that could never be established by such an argument.
Atla

Post by Atla »

ChatGPT is trash now by the way, they seem to have downgraded it. Even less reason to use it for philosophy. :)

It's still VA's God, but I'll stop calling it as such.. I lost my faith..

It's still pretty robust though, I tried to convince it that Kant used to kill kittens, but I can't do it.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Atla wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:04 pm ChatGPT is trash now by the way, they seem to have downgraded it. Even less reason to use it for philosophy. :)
I noticed this with the Bing AI which I could find useful on occasion. It seems dumber to me. I hope this is just for financial reasons, that they just wnat us to start paying for things.
Veritas Aequitas

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:50 pm
Atla wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:04 pm ChatGPT is trash now by the way, they seem to have downgraded it. Even less reason to use it for philosophy. :)
I noticed this with the Bing AI which I could find useful on occasion. It seems dumber to me. I hope this is just for financial reasons, that they just wnat us to start paying for things.
ChatGpt is just a tool like calculators, spreadsheets, wordprocessor, and other electronic and digital tools.
The knack is how to use them intelligently, wisely and optimally within the constraints of their known limitations.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:16 am
ChatGpt is just a tool like calculators, spreadsheets, wordprocessor, and other electronic and digital tools.
The knack is how to use them intelligently, wisely and optimally within the constraints of their known limitations.
Yeah, I'm not sure you read what I wrote. 1) I was writing about Bing AI. 2) I was writing about how the AI seems less intelligent - read: less useful - that when I first starting using it. When I first started, perhaps 8 months ago, I was able to create texts very quickly and without repeating myself, for example, 3 times to get it to, for example, contrast rather than compare something. Or to create a series of questions, I didn't need to restate paramaters several times that it was ignoring. IOW precisely the same input that 8 months ago would have been effective stated once, now had to be restated a couple of times before it actually followed the instructions. It was dumber than it was earlier. I was responding to Atla who mentioned that he experienced something similar at Chatgpt. One of the reasons I like Bing was I had been using Chatgpt and Bing seemed smarter, in precisely the ways it is now dumber. So, thanks for the condescening response. I'm aware of all that.

The knack is how to respond to people's posts intelligently, wisely and optimally, which includes actually reading what people write and responding to that.
Veritas Aequitas

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:02 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:50 pm I noticed this with the Bing AI which I could find useful on occasion. It seems dumber to me. I hope this is just for financial reasons, that they just wnat us to start paying for things.
Yeah, I'm not sure you read what I wrote. 1) I was writing about Bing AI. 2) I was writing about how the AI seems less intelligent - read: less useful - that when I first starting using it. When I first started, perhaps 8 months ago, I was able to create texts very quickly and without repeating myself, for example, 3 times to get it to, for example, contrast rather than compare something. Or to create a series of questions, I didn't need to restate paramaters several times that it was ignoring. IOW precisely the same input that 8 months ago would have been effective stated once, now had to be restated a couple of times before it actually followed the instructions. It was dumber than it was earlier. I was responding to Atla who mentioned that he experienced something similar at Chatgpt. One of the reasons I like Bing was I had been using Chatgpt and Bing seemed smarter, in precisely the ways it is now dumber. So, thanks for the condescening response. I'm aware of all that.

The knack is how to respond to people's posts intelligently, wisely and optimally, which includes actually reading what people write and responding to that.
Mine was a general statement in relation to the posts by FDP, Atla and yours.
If you have that knack, good for you.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:02 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:50 pm I noticed this with the Bing AI which I could find useful on occasion. It seems dumber to me. I hope this is just for financial reasons, that they just wnat us to start paying for things.

He speed-read your earlier comment in 2 seconds, skipping 90% of it, and then wasted more time giving an irrelevant response. Ingenious!

I think he also speed-read this comment of yours, skipping the first long paragraph and only reading half of the second paragraph.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:15 am [Mine was a general statement in relation to the posts by FDP, Atla and yours.
If you have that knack, good for you.
It didn't make sense as a response to my post. If you want to make a general response, you can Post Reply without quoting. It wasn't a general statement, you quoted me and specifically mentioned Chatgpt. And instead of just acknowledging that you didn't read my post and your response was not to what my post brought up, you wrote this new post, defending what was clearly poor reading and response on your part.

The ideas you present in PN are fine. The way you respond to other people...there's the problem.
This was a minor example. But you can't even manage to admit you didn't respond well.

And, as I've said before, this kind of pattern on your part is, yes, irritating for people here, but only person who is actually hurt by you bad habits here is you.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:48 am And, as I've said before, this kind of pattern on your part is,
What kind of pattern and what about it? (sorry, skipped the rest of your post)

Note:
false God wrote:Patterns are recurring or repetitive arrangements of elements, shapes, objects, or events that follow a certain rule or logic. They can be found in various fields such as mathematics, art, nature, and music. Patterns help us identify regularities, make predictions, and understand the underlying structure of systems.
FlashDangerpants

My man, you put the whole of the Quran into an Excel spreadsheet for no sane reason. You don't know how to use any tool wisely.