Why R humans so poor at OBSERVATION of REALITY

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Impenitent

Re: Why R humans so poor at OBSERVATION of REALITY

Post by Impenitent »

some cliff dwellers are better at it than others...

but not everyone can be a lemming

-Imp
Walker

Re: Why R humans so poor at OBSERVATION of REALITY

Post by Walker »

Desert varnish, aka natural art, aka God’s brush.
https://www.nps.gov/articles/desertvarnish.htm

“Many exposed rock surfaces in national parks on the Colorado Plateau including Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, and Zion have dark coatings or orange to dark brown or black streaks darkening what would be lighter-colored rock surfaces. Similar rock surface coatings are found in other parks in arid or semi-arid climates including Death Valley National Park and Petroglyph National Monument.”

example:
https://naturalishistoria.files.wordpre ... arnish.png
attofishpi

Re: Why R humans so poor at OBSERVANTION of REALITY

Post by attofishpi »

Atla wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:29 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:20 pm
Atla wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:16 pm
Don't know, could be either, people have to eat
Sure, but one of a reasonable mind should lean towards the most reasonable option. It is not reasonable that people would risk their lives to scale up on a ledge and build a small wall structure for the purpose to merely make an encampment and have a BBQ.
And how do you know they weren't actually living in those structures? Hunters for example, who went up there for safety?

Why did they need two houses for 1 smoke signal?
When I rewatched the vid seems Walker has corrected me on the black being from smoke staining! Does appear to be the varnishing caused by water runoff rather that billowing smoke!

The main wall structure has many narrow portal windows all at differing angles to oversee the canyon. The wall being made of the same stuff as the surrounding rock would hide people and no doubt they would be dwelling there, but I still think the primary purpose would have been an outpost for people to watch over and signal - maybe still with smoke and be provided with new supplies probably via rope.