Germinie Lacerteux

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

Germinie Lacerteux

Post by duszek »

Brothers Goncourt wrote this novel in the 19 century, it is a study of hysteria in women. Hysteria is not a concept of today´s psychology, women with such similar symptoms are classified in a different way today. Sigmund Freud still used this concept and tried to treat hysterical women.

I listen to a recording from literature audio, done by "Pomme" as donneur de voix, who sounded a little like a school teacher at first to me, but now she sounds fine, I must have adapted.

I would like to share with you what I discover in the novel and what comes to my mind.

1. Germinie needs very much someone to love. And to talk to. She clings to people who are friendly to her.
2. She might be over-sensitive.
3. Her mistress (who is possibly also hysterical) bears grudges for a lifetime. She never forgives anything.
4. Germinie was ostricised in her work place in Paris by her colleagues who were far more streetwise and pushy. She was a scape-goat (souffre-douleur).
5. She is plain and yet arouses desire in men. Like Zola´s Nana perhaps.

Women like Germinie are still among us today, a novel like this one can help us to understand them and maybe also ourselves.
Last edited by duszek on Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impenitent

Re: Germinie Lacerteux

Post by Impenitent »

undiagnosed autism in women can be troublesome...

-Imp
jeffreystanger

Post by jeffreystanger »

I also really like this novel

Post by Age »

duszek wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:40 pm Brothers Goncourt wrote this novel in the 19 century, it is a study of hysteria in women. Hysteria is not a concept of today´s psychology, women with such similar symptoms are classified in a different way today.
AND, what IS the, alleged, 'different way', 'today'?
duszek wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:40 pm Sigmund Freud still used this concept and tried to treat hysterical women.
What was 'the concept' for 'hysterical men', and were 'hysterical men' also tried to be treated?
duszek wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:40 pm I listen to a recording from literature audio, done by "Pomme" as donneur de voix, who sounded a little like a school teacher at first to me, but now she sounds fine, I must have adapted.
How come, and in what way, do so-called "school teachers" NOT sound 'fine', to you?
duszek wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:40 pm I would like to share with you what I discover in the novel and what comes to my mind.
'you' do NOT have 'a mind'.
duszek wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:40 pm 1. Germinie needs very much someone to love. And to talk to.
Is there A human being who does NOT 'need' these 'things'?
duszek wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:40 pm She clings to people who are friendly to her.
Is there a 'human being' who does NOT so-call 'cling' to 'those' who are 'friendly to them'? [/quote]

Is it NOT 'natural' to 'cling to' nor be 'attracted to' 'those' who are 'friendly'?
duszek wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:40 pm 2. She might be over-sensitive.
Just about ANY one could THINK, SAY, or CLAIM that "another" is 'over-sensitive'.
duszek wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:40 pm 3. Her mistress (who is possibly also hysterical) bears grudges for a lifetime. She never forgives anything.
Some 'men' appear to be EXACTLY the SAME.
duszek wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:40 pm 4. Germinie was ostricised in her work place in Paris by her colleagues who were far more streetwise and pushy. She was a scape-goat (souffre-douleur).
5. She is plain and yet arouses desire in men. Like Zola´s Nana perhaps.
Put ANY 'woman' in a pub, and nearer to closing time, and EVERY one would, yet, arouse desire in 'men'. So, do we want to ALSO make 'the judgments' ON 'the women' here, ONLY?
duszek wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:40 pm Women like Germinie are still among us today, a novel like this one can help us to understand them and maybe also ourselves.
So, HOW, EXACTLY, have 'you' been HELPED to UNDERSTAND 'these women' who are supposedly, still among 'us' 'today'?

What have 'you' LEARNED ABOUT "your" 'self' here "duszek"?
duszek

Post by duszek »

Thanks for your input, Age.
I have discovered it just now. Lots to think about.

Let me answer just one of your objections:
everyone needs love, yes, but if the loved one starts to treat you disrespectfully and to manipulate you it is time to leave.
Oscar Wilde should have left Alfred Douglas in due time and thus avoided suffering and humiliation.
As I learned from a biography of O. Wilde by Frank Harris.
duszek

Post by duszek »

School teachers are sometimes bossy and this can be annoying, but many are really nice. I should not have generalized. I am sorry.
I also remember that long ago some MPs accused Mrs Thatcher of talking like a school teacher, they felt talked to by her as if they were a bunch of naughty boys, and not decent adult men who deserved to be addressed in a respectful tone. Maybe this ancient criticism influenced my choice of comparison.

A hysterical person today, man or woman, is treated with sedatives probably or taught to control their emotions by a coach or therapist.
In some cultures keeping one´s temper is considered a virtue, in others maybe a bit less so.
meno_

Post by meno_ »

duszek wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:22 pm Thanks for your input, Age.
I have discovered it just now. Lots to think about.

Let me answer just one of your objections:
everyone needs love, yes, but if the loved one starts to treat you disrespectfully and to manipulate you it is time to leave.
Oscar Wilde should have left Alfred Douglas in due time and thus avoided suffering and humiliation.
As I learned from a biography of O. Wilde by Frank Harris.

Jung may differ , these times involved people who are more involved than they could think, are bound by forces over which they may have little understanding.They may react conversely to flareups . An example is common when a battered woman hospitalized for her bruises , fails to press criminal charges as when she comes out of sedation or coma, chooses to return to her significant other.