Do you believe in miracles?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Do you believe in miracles?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:29 pm

I believe in miracles
67%
I don’t believe in miracles
33%
I believe in miracles at times of global conflict
No votes
I think miracles prove divine retribution
No votes
I don’t think miracles are divine
No votes
I think miracles are caused by natural means
No votes
Miracles are illusionary
No votes
I think miracles are compensatory
No votes

Total votes: 3

Sculptor

Re: Do you believe in miracles?

Post by Sculptor »

meno_ wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:28 am
Sculptor wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:38 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:57 pm And how was this measured?
History.
It's a no brainer.

Yes true, but history will need to be repeated if its content is lost and forgotten.
What do you mean?
It's in books.
Hume was responding to his own time, where "miracles" were ubiquitous.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:58 am
Sculptor wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:38 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:57 pm And how was this measured?
History.
It's a no brainer.
Yeah, that's a non-answer. People are experiencing miracles or falsely interpreting things as miracles with regularity in the modern world. So, by what method did you draw your conclusion. If you just think it's a no brainer, and requires no justification, then you might as well be arguing
you have a revelation.
Hume was respondiing to his own time in which "miracles" were common place.
These days people do not rise from the dead.
Now you either think that is because there are fewer miracles for some reason, or because we know better what is going on.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:46 am These days people do not rise from the dead.
Keywords: tantra, phowa.
(One blow to a wise horse. One word to a wise man. You get two. Words.) :wink:

Although on second thought, that violates the non-repeatability rule.
godelian

Post by godelian »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:46 am These days people do not rise from the dead.
They do.

US Woman Declared Clinically Dead Wakes Up After 24 Minutes, Describes Experience

We just don't call it a "miracle" anymore.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

godelian wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:13 am
They do.

US Woman Declared Clinically Dead Wakes Up After 24 Minutes, Describes Experience

We just don't call it a "miracle" anymore.
God help you.
"She was resuscitated after nearly half an hour and said she lost the memory of the past week after waking up."
So no, she did not miraclulously rise from the dead.
Its medical science FFS.
Which makes my point exactly.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:46 am Hume was respondiing to his own time in which "miracles" were common place.
Now you either think that is because there are fewer miracles for some reason, or because we know better what is going on.
So, we have Hume's assessment of how many miracles there were in his time, and you simply repeat your assertion. I know you believe it, you already asserted it.
People report miracles all the time. The Vatican investigates them for those Catholics who report them. People claim miracles, of different kinds, are happening all over the place in the world. People miraculously return from death states still, when doctor's have said there's no chance. People recover from mortal illnesses', sometimes the medical profession refers to this as spontaneous remission (with cancer, say). A term that has no causal explanation. And note I am not arguing these people are correct or not. I am questioning how you drew the conclusion I asked about.

How do you know they are reported less now?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:56 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:46 am Hume was respondiing to his own time in which "miracles" were common place.
So, we have Hume's assessment of how many miracles there were in his time, and you simply repeat your assertion. I know you believe it, you already asserted it.
People report miracles all the time. The Vatican investigates them for those Catholics who report them. People claim miracles, of different kinds, are happening all over the place in the world. People miraculously return from death states still, when doctor's have said there's no chance. People recover from mortal illnesses', sometimes the medical profession refers to this as spontaneous remission (with cancer, say). A term that has no causal explanation. And note I am not arguing these people are correct or not. I am questioning how you drew the conclusion I asked about.

How do you know they are reported less now?
Hume's social reach was a tiny fraction of what it would be today by a factor of thousands or even millions.

The world population was less that one billion, but he would not have access to but a tiny fraction of that, through paper media.

Despite me assassing social media everyday for years, I rarely hear of a miracle, despite the population being 8 billion, with access to a range of electonic media .

I've studied Hume's period of history at Master's level, And I cannot simply convey all that knoweldge if you are too dumb to see the bleeding obvious. You might as well ask if how I know there are more cars now than them.

I'm not going to waste my time with this stupid question. USE YOUR FUCKING IMAGINATION.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:18 am God help you.
"She was resuscitated after nearly half an hour and said she lost the memory of the past week after waking up."
So no, she did not miraclulously rise from the dead.
Its medical science FFS.
Which makes my point exactly.
Idiot-philosopher is an idiot.

A "miracle" is simply an event that it is far more unlikely that it is likely. Anything against the odds is a miracle.

Resuscitation after 30 minutes sounds like a fucking miracle to me. If it were medical science we'd be performing it on the regular with high rates of reproducible success.
The brain, however, appears to accumulate ischemic injury faster than any other organ. Without special treatment after circulation is restarted, full recovery of the brain after more than 3 minutes of clinical death at normal body temperature is rare.Usually brain damage or later brain death results after longer intervals of clinical death even if the heart is restarted and blood circulation is successfully restored. Brain injury is therefore the chief limiting factor for recovery from clinical death.
godelian

Post by godelian »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:18 am These days people do not rise from the dead.
Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:18 am So no, she did not miraclulously rise from the dead.
She was clinically dead. So, according to medical assessment, it is "inexplicable" that she came back to life.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_syndrome

Lazarus syndrome (the Lazarus heart), also known as autoresuscitation after failed cardiopulmonary resuscitation,[1] is the spontaneous return of a normal cardiac rhythm after failed attempts at resuscitation. It is also used to refer to the spontaneous return of cardiac activity after the patient has been pronounced dead.[2] Its occurrence has been noted in medical literature at least 38 times since 1982.
In modern times, we do not call it a "miracle" anymore but the phenomenon is certainly considered "inexplicable". A patient pronounced "dead" is obviously not deemed to come back to life according to medical theory. Otherwise, medical personnel would not pronounce the patient to be dead, to begin with.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:06 am Hume's social reach was a tiny fraction of what it would be today by a factor of thousands or even millions.

The world population was less that one billion, but he would not have access to but a tiny fraction of that, through paper media.

Despite me assassing social media everyday for years, I rarely hear of a miracle, despite the population being 8 billion, with access to a range of electonic media
Social media are aimed at your interests. They track what you read and don't read.

Try Googling miracles and, miraculously they will appear: people reporting them, that is.

If you can give me a sense of how many miracles Hume thought were reported in his time, we can then play with math based on what one person in his time estimated the number of miracles was.
I've studied Hume's period of history at Master's level, And I cannot simply convey all that knoweldge if you are too dumb to see the bleeding obvious. You might as well ask if how I know there are more cars now than them.
This unnecessary insult might make sense if I was asking you to convey all the knowledge one might get about Hume at the Master's Level. But actually, I was not asking you to run down all the knowledge one might get about Hume during a Master's degree. I was asking what your process was for arriving at what seems to me to be an intuitive guess at best, both about the number of reported miracles at that time and the number of miracles now. And given that you have so much expertise about Hume you might also know how carefully he looked at causation, to the degree that induction in general was called into question, let alone your kind of speculate declaration.
I'm not going to waste my time with this stupid question. USE YOUR FUCKING IMAGINATION.
Yes, that's precisely what I thought you were doing: imagining. And no you certainly don't have to justify what you say. You could have started that way, by not pretending your were justifying something.

And that's fine. Imagine away.

Hume seemed to be writing mostly about classical examples of miracles, though certainly his thoughts on miracles would apply to current ones also. I don't see a reference to his estimate of the number of miracles in his time in his main essay on miracles, but I skimmed. Perhaps an expert of your stature could relay that single piece of information. Or do you need to regurgitate the work of a few years to handle that task?

Or we can just move forward with your anecdotal evidence about Hume's anecdotal evidence, coupled with your anecdotal evidence. It's great we have a voice of reason here at PN who has double-mastered Hume and being a p****.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

godelian wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:22 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:18 am These days people do not rise from the dead.
Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:18 am So no, she did not miraclulously rise from the dead.
She was clinically dead. So, according to medical assessment, it is "inexplicable" that she came back to life.
rubbish.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:56 pm rubbish.
Dumb philosopher is dumb.
miracle
/ˈmɪrɪkl/
noun
an extraordinary and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore attributed to a divine agency.
Is coming back to life after being declared clinically dead extraordinary? You bet!
Is it welcome? You bet!
Can you explain it scientifically? No you can't!
Do people attribute this to divine intervention? Often!

Check. Check. Check. and CHECK.

Definition satisfied.
Last edited by Skepdick on Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:31 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:06 am Hume's social reach was a tiny fraction of what it would be today by a factor of thousands or even millions.

Despite me assassing social media everyday for years, I rarely hear of a miracle, despite the population being 8 billion, with access to a range of electonic media
Social media are aimed at your interests. They track what you read and don't read.

Try Googling miracles and, miraculously they will appear: people reporting them, that is.

If you can give me a sense of how many miracles Hume thought were reported in his time, we can then play with math based on what one person in his time estimated the number of miracles was.
This unnecessary insult might make sense if I was asking you to convey all the knowledge one might get about Hume at the Master's Level. But actually, I was not asking you to run down all the knowledge one might get about Hume during a Master's degree. I was asking what your process was for arriving at what seems to me to be an intuitive guess at best, both about the number of reported miracles at that time and the number of miracles now. And given that you have so much expertise about Hume you might also know how carefully he looked at causation, to the degree that induction in general was called into question, let alone your kind of speculate declaration.
Yes, that's precisely what I thought you were doing: imagining. And no you certainly don't have to justify what you say. You could have started that way, by not pretending your were justifying something.

And that's fine. Imagine away.

Hume seemed to be writing mostly about classical examples of miracles, though certainly his thoughts on miracles would apply to current ones also. I don't see a reference to his estimate of the number of miracles in his time in his main essay on miracles, but I skimmed. Perhaps an expert of your stature could relay that single piece of information. Or do you need to regurgitate the work of a few years to handle that task?

Or we can just move forward with your anecdotal evidence about Hume's anecdotal evidence, coupled with your anecdotal evidence. It's great we have a voice of reason here at PN who has double-mastered Hume and being a p****.
SO you think that claimed miracles are true, and that there is either more or the same number being reported per capita now that at any time in the past?
Is that the absurd conclusion that you are aiming for?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

godelian wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:22 am
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_syndrome

Lazarus syndrome (the Lazarus heart), also known as autoresuscitation after failed cardiopulmonary resuscitation,[1] is the spontaneous return of a normal cardiac rhythm after failed attempts at resuscitation. It is also used to refer to the spontaneous return of cardiac activity after the patient has been pronounced dead.[2] Its occurrence has been noted in medical literature at least 38 times since 1982.
In modern times, we do not call it a "miracle" anymore but the phenomenon is certainly considered "inexplicable". A patient pronounced "dead" is obviously not deemed to come back to life according to medical theory. Otherwise, medical personnel would not pronounce the patient to be dead, to begin with.
I have to say that basing a theory of miracles on THAT link is rather dubious. From the outset the entire thing is full of hols and lack of detail.
You must be really gullible.

Now either I am correct that fewer miracles are reported because of progress, or that something else is true. SO you think that claimed miracles are true, and that there is either more or the same number being reported per capita now that at any time in the past?
Is that the absurd conclusion that you are aiming for?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:58 pm SO you think that claimed miracles are true
What the fuck does that even mean?

If a factual event is deemed miraculous what does it mean for it to be "true"?