Where is the philosophy???

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

FlashDangerpants

Re: Where is the philosophy???

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Walker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:35 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:47 am...
Who dares to think they're less than the best they can be?
Anyone who can manage basic modesty should be able to pull that trick off.
Walker

Post by Walker »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:44 am Anyone who can manage basic modesty should be able to pull that trick off.
For what reason would anyone do that?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

I dare to think it. In fact, I don't dare to not think it.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Well, in midst of all the uncool excitement of intellectual passion that lacks ill intent, if I don’t tell you this now then you won’t know …

Should friendofyours concur that thine or mine contributions are inconsistent with the cozy chat light atmosphere of her endeavour, then this is not a “nothing stopping us” environment, and we can work within limitations.

I figure that when and if folks can figure out how to make a sentient bunt cake, the fact that humans created self-awareness in a human-organized consumable, thus bringing humankind closer to true creation rather than merely adept arrangers of evolved stardust, will open up all kinds of marketing opportunities for the clever folks.

This means that the definition of freshness for bunt cake will be akin to what lions call fresh food. Alive. The question is, are Westerners ready to be Lions? Ready to eat living bunt cakes? If so, what will be the pleasure in that? I read somewhere that given a choice, lions prefer their zebras cooked.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:13 pm
At any particular moment you can only be the best you can be at that moment.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:17 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:13 pm
At any particular moment you can only be the best you can be at that moment.
But even then, only if you can be bothered to be it.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:19 pm
Participation is the evidence of being bothered.

That assumes one must be bothered in order to be.
Bother implies conflict, which is the very definition of a real tea party.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:27 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:19 pm
Participation is the evidence of being bothered.
But how bothered? Why put a lot of effort into something you are only a bi bothered about?
Bother implies conflict, which is the very definition of a real tea party.
Tea parties should be about tea and cakes, not bother.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:17 pm But how bothered? Why put a lot of effort into something you are only a bi [SIC] bothered about?
The worth of anything to you is the fact that you're doing it. Folks usually learn this in their jobs, when one day the lightbulb goes off and they say, is this all there is to life? If you listen carefully, they will be saying without words, "So what if I'm the best pizza dough flipper to have ever made a pie, of what worth is that in the big picture. The big picture in my head."

At that inflection point, the personal philosophy may change. For example: some folks become drones with an eye grimly fixed on a future pension, they're hanging on until they can "be free," and that becomes the measure of all things to them. Other folks might just change jobs. Some folks chuck it all and walk the earf, like Hobo Cain in Kung Fu (Pulp Fiction reference).
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:57 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:17 pm But how bothered? Why put a lot of effort into something you are only a bi [SIC] bothered about?
The worth of anything to you is the fact that you're doing it. Folks usually learn this in their jobs, when one day the lightbulb goes off and they say, is this all there is to life? If you listen carefully, they will be saying without words, "So what if I'm the best pizza dough flipper to have ever made a pie, of what worth is that in the big picture. The big picture in my head."

At that inflection point, the personal philosophy may change. For example: some folks become drones with an eye grimly fixed on a future pension, they're hanging on until they can "be free," and that becomes the measure of all things to them. Other folks might just change jobs. Some folks chuck it all and walk the earf, like Hobo Cain in Kung Fu (Pulp Fiction reference).
All I can say is that I save my best self for special events.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:08 pm All I can say is that I save my best self for special events.
- Good philosophy. Pragmatic.
- It highlights the difference between a battery for energy, and a conduit of energy. In human New Age terms the latter is often called tapping into universal energy, aka use it or lose it.
- Save the best for later, when it's needed. However, often the best fades away and never is needed, or when called upon is rusty and one ends up saying, "back when I was a whippersnapper ..."
- I've noticed that performance artists are extremely laid back in their off time, because all the emoting energy goes into the work.
- The company of someone who is always "on" can be exhausting.

"I like fancy restaurants."
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Qpj6YfOgpUw
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:33 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:08 pm All I can say is that I save my best self for special events.
- Good philosophy. Pragmatic.
It's more laziness than pragmatism.
"I like fancy restaurants."
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Qpj6YfOgpUw
I saw that guy in a Netflix series, I thought he was just an actor. I didn't know he was a stand up comedian, or more precisely, a sitting on a stool comedian.
friendofyours

Post by friendofyours »

Age wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:37 am
Remember, that what you 'judge' 'decent' or 'indecent' on, exactly, can be very, very different for each and every human being/everyone else.

See, some people have been so-called 'raised', and thus have so-called 'grown up', to believe that revenge, or an 'eye for an eye', mentality is not just the 'decent' thing to do, but is actually the right thing to do, in Life. Although, and obviously to some, these people have not be 'raised' properly, nor 'grown up' Correctly.

Also, with 'respect', how you, individually, think or should be done in regards to 'respect' can be very different to another. So, what this means is that when you want to make it 'clear' that 'the other' is not being 'decent' or not showing 'respect' could be like you are calling them a 'liar', because, to them, they were actually not just being 'decent' and showing 'respect', from their own perspective, but also doing the very 'right thing in Life'. To some, not showing respect and not be decent, to others, who are believed to not be worthy of respect and decency, is the 'right thing to do in Life'. See, some people have so-called 'grown up' to believe that others 'have to deserve respect', first, before they are to be given absolutely any).
Thank you. This has helped me so much to understand people better, even just in this short time. It definitely made me think more, and it has come into my mind on more than one occasion.
friendofyours

Post by friendofyours »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:47 am I flavour my cake with anguish, not lemons, and I butter my crumpet with the tears of a thousand orphans who all got socks for Christmas. But I will take my tea with a little milk and no sugar than you.
You are welcome to this tea, as you like it, with a little milk and no sugar. Here it is.
Also, I feel your words. I always did. I so wish I could bake a cake to make everything right, but I fear that I don't know the recipe :(
FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:47 am My sister, despite having many years of life ahead of her, has for some reason taken up knitting. It turns out that there's a huge online community for that, far in excess of this one. Apparently it is entirely toxic and that's largely down to the fact that they seem to discuss American politics too much. I don't know what sort of online community one might expect to be nicer than a knitting one....
I love how you said this here. I'm with you. I cannot imagine a nicer online community than a knitting one either, but... politics will certainly poison it. My mother sometimes joins in a group called 'Knit and natter." She calls it, alternatively known as 'knit and gossip'. But it means she gets out sometimes, and I think she is wise enough to listen to the nice stuff and ignore the toxic stuff.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:47 am whereas complete mentalists are not terribly invested in wools and yarns to the best of my knowlege.
This made me chuckle.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:47 am you won't ever find the forum you are hoping for where everyone is allowed to contribute but everyone respects each other.#
I seem to want to try anyway, and, despite being realistic about the very small chances of this happening, it's a nice thought I can dream about.
friendofyours

Post by friendofyours »

Walker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:14 pm Well, in midst of all the uncool excitement of intellectual passion that lacks ill intent, if I don’t tell you this now then you won’t know …

Did you ever wonder why I got a new carpet? You see, it was quite upsetting. It all started when I was having people around for tea and cake not so long back. They were a fine group of people, each with their own unique qualities. Therefore, I thought, "We are sure to have a wonderful and interesting time, and there is nothing nicer to compliment cake with than a lovely cup of tea. So, when finally the tea was all nice and deep and rich, I poured each person a cup. Well, to start with, it was fine, and we were just enjoying the tea, but then something happened to spoil everything.

I am not sure if that person accidentally spilt their tea, or if they did it on purpose, but either way, it doesn't matter because that was what started it all. Someone sitting next to them thought the person had purposely spilt the tea, and some of it went on their shoe. They didn't like that, so then they spilt some tea on the first person's shoe. Well, it turned out that the first person's shoes were a treasured gift from their mother, who had recently passed away. Of course, nobody had known this, but either way, before we knew it, someone had thrown a cup of tea right into someone else's face. It was terrible, and pretty soon there was tea and cake being thrown all over the place. Of course, the chance to enjoy any tea and cake at all after that was impossible, and so, sadly, I had to ask everyone to leave. They left with burns and bruises, perhaps superficial wounds, perhaps not. But perhaps the thing that suffered the most was the tea because, without anyone being able to drink it, it may as well not exist.

So, why then, you may ask, if it went so badly last time, am I bothering to invite people around again for tea? Well, it is because I have a deep faith in tea, cake and company, (to be honest, mostly the people who drink the tea) and keep hoping that the company can stop throwing the tea around for long enough to simply drink it and enjoy it.