What Is Time?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

river

Re: What Is Time?

Post by river »

Time is about a physical object movements , with distance , duration , measured .
Globe pearl

Post by Globe pearl »

Time itself does not exist. There is a property of matter (and energy) to change, and what we call time reflects the ability of matter (energy) to change. If there is no matter, there is no time. Matter can exist without time, time can NOT exist without matter. When matter stops changing, time stops. If matter once remained unchanged, then time did not exist. Reversing time would be theoretically possible if matter could be made to change in the "reverse" direction, i.e. towards previously passed states, towards the original state.
In a closed system without matter or energy, there is no time. It might be possible to speed up or slow down the passage of time by changing the temperature. In a closed system, when temperatures are reached at which all molecular and intranuclear motion ceases, time stops.
If, on the scale of the universe, matter is oscillating, for example, from simple organisation to complex, and then vice versa, from complex to simple, then time is oscillating, then in one direction and then in the opposite direction, accompanying the change of matter.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Time is the perception of change, not its cause.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

popeye1945 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:11 am Time is the perception of change, not its cause.
I agree that time doesn't cause change, rather change happens over time. However, it seems to me that things can also remain unchanged and there can still be time.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:44 am
popeye1945 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:11 am Time is the perception of change, not its cause.
I agree that time doesn't cause change, rather change happens over time. However, it seems to me that things can also remain unchanged and there can still be time.
Without perception, or a conscious subject there is nothing, there is no such thing as time. You can measure the revolutions of the earth, which means you perceive change, the concept is consciousness dependent as all concepts are. I am unaware of anything that does not change please explain.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

popeye1945 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:19 am
Without perception, or a conscious subject there is nothing, there is no such thing as time. You can measure the revolutions of the earth, which means you perceive change, the concept is consciousness dependent as all concepts are. I am unaware of anything that does not change please explain.
If a person is in a sensory deprivation chamber, does time not exist in the duration that the person is in there?
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:23 am
popeye1945 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:19 am

If a person is in a sensory deprivation chamber, does time not exist for the duration that the person is in there?
WOW! Interest Gary! I would say no time does not exist, for time as a concept depends on the perceptions of change, not to say they are not occurring. One's biology is still governed by the music of the spheres. the world keeps turning and gravity has its way.
Trajk Logik

Post by Trajk Logik »

Time is a measurement of change. Just as a ruler of a specific length measures the length of other objects by comparing the lengths, time is using a consistent, repetitive change, like the movement of the hour hand across the face of the clock or the revolution of the Earth around the Sun, to measure other change.

This is why it seems like more time has passed when a lot of things have happened and seems to have barely passed when only little change happens.

Time does not need to exist for change to happen. Space is what is needed for change to happen, hence the space-time dimension is really the space-change dimension. Space is the medium of change.

Your mind changes as well. It takes time to think and perceive the world. The rate of change in your mind, or how your brain processes sensory information can be different depending on your mental state. So how you perceive other change can be different based on your mental state. This also is what causes us to perceive objects as solid, static and unchanging compared to other things that are a blur or barely perceptible because the rate of change is much faster relative to the rate your brain processes the information. So the way the world appears to us is based on the rate we process information relative to the rate of change of the other processes that we perceive. Slower change appears as static "objects", faster change appears as a blur of processes. There are no objects, only processes and the objects of thought are really just categories of processes that are to slow to be perceived so they appear as static objects to us. The world is not physical filled with static objects. Everything is process, all the way down.
shamer

Post by shamer »

Time is something the most people doesn't have enough, and something some people have too much of.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Time is a waste of me.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Trajk Logik wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:30 pm Time is a measurement of change. Just as a ruler of a specific length measures the length of other objects by comparing the lengths, time is using a consistent, repetitive change, like the movement of the hour hand across the face of the clock or the revolution of the Earth around the Sun, to measure other change.

This is why it seems like more time has passed when a lot of things have happened and seems to have barely passed when only little change happens.

Time does not need to exist for change to happen. Space is what is needed for change to happen, hence the space-time dimension is really the space-change dimension. Space is the medium of change.

Your mind changes as well. It takes time to think and perceive the world. The rate of change in your mind, or how your brain processes sensory information can be different depending on your mental state. So how you perceive other change can be different based on your mental state. This also is what causes us to perceive objects as solid, static and unchanging compared to other things that are a blur or barely perceptible because the rate of change is much faster relative to the rate your brain processes the information. So the way the world appears to us is based on the rate we process information relative to the rate of change of the other processes that we perceive. Slower change appears as static "objects", faster change appears as a blur of processes. There are no objects, only processes and the objects of thought are really just categories of processes that are to slow to be perceived so they appear as static objects to us. The world is not physically filled with static objects. Everything is process, all the way down.
EXCELLENT! Turtles all the way down!