The connection has timed out

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

phyllo

The connection has timed out

Post by phyllo »

I have been getting this connection error (Time out) on this site for at least a month.

The forum doesn't look busy.

I get it on different browsers and restarting my computer or my router does nothing.

Are you guys getting this as well?
iambiguous

Re: The connection has timed out

Post by iambiguous »

phyllo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:12 pm I have been getting this connection error (Time out) on this site for at least a month.

I get it on different browsers and restarting my computer or my router does nothing.

Yep. Prom75 posted recently about this problem as well. He thought that perhaps it was someone here coming after him...someone who "hacked" his computer because they are pissed off at what he posts here.

What's strange here [to me] is that sites like ILP and Know Thyself almost never have these connection errors.

Why can't this be fixed? After all, if you Google "philosophy magazines" Philosophy Now is right on top. If you Google "philosophy forums" it's right up there as well.

Are the moderators/administrators even aware the problem exist?
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

No, I wasn't aware of this. I haven't encountered the problem myself - the forum always seems to load fine.

We have a pretty good setup in terms of servers for Philosophy Now magazine and the Philosophy Now Forum, so capacity really shouldn't be an issue. I'll ask Bora, our tech genius, when I talk with him tomorrow. I think he'll probably say that the problem is likely to be with your own web connection briefly going down while you happen to be on the forum. On another website you might not notice it, but on the forum you'd be likely to be clicking around from one thread to another, so such connection failures might be more obvious when you are here than when you are elsewhere on the internet. That's just my guess, but I'll ask. If Bora has any ideas, I'll report back.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

I've been having difficulty getting on the site lately. I'm getting this message a lot:
Screenshot 2024-01-17 191409.jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-17 191409.jpg (17.75 KiB) Viewed 3625 times
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:55 pm I've been having difficulty getting on the site lately. I'm getting this message a lot:

Screenshot 2024-01-17 191409.jpg
Same here. There are websites that will confirm if it's the site that is down or if it's your computer that has the problem and each time I have used one it tells me that the site is down and it's not my computer.

Any news on this, Rick? I feel alone and vulnerable without Philosophy Now in my life at all times. :D
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Very difficult to connect with this site now, and notifications (the red dot) have stopped working.
bahman

Post by bahman »

I have the same problem now and then.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

phyllo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:12 pm I have been getting this connection error (Time out) on this site for at least a month.

It's a sign. It means, find something else to do.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Often I don't get to the site. Usually after 10 minutes I can then log in. Sometimes it takes longer.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:41 pm

It's a sign. It means, find something else to do.
I've been trying to explain this same line of reasoning to my boss, but he's pretty set on reducing my wages or worse.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Bora asked me to let everyone know that he has just updated the forum software, and hopes this MAY solve the problem of connections timing out. But if not, please do tell us here. If that didn't fix it, we'll have to try something else.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Don't worry

It's only MOSAD trying to take down any Forums whcih might contain criticisms of Israel.
But its okay. Israel is an ally of the West and of the UK.
Look how we can thank them for taking out Corbyn.