Cosmological Argument is Conjectural

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Cosmological Argument is Conjectural

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

All Cosmological Argument has the same format and arrive at a conclusion that is conjectural.
Conjecture = an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information.
One example is William Craig's Kalam Argument.
  • 1.. If the universe began to exist, then the universe has a cause of its beginning.
    2. The universe [a being] began to exist.
    3. Therefore, the universe has a cause of its beginning

4. which is An Uncaused First Cause as
    5. A Personal Being with Freedom of the Will -a Personal Creator
P1, 2 & 3 are within the scope science, i.e. within the scientific Framework and System of Reality and Knowledge [FSRK].
P4 & 5 take a BIG LEAP into the transcendental mode which cannot follow from P1, 2 & 3 [scientific] since they are of a different senses.

What is meant by 'transcendental' as with 'transcendent'
  • Transcendental as with transcendent.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/transcendent
    1a : exceeding usual limits : SURPASSING
    1b : extending or lying beyond the limits of ordinary experience
    1c : in Kantian philosophy : being beyond the limits of all possible experience and knowledge

2 : being beyond comprehension
    3 : transcending the universe or material existence
Since we are doing philosophy, my focus would be on the Kantian meaning, i.e.
"being beyond the limits of all possible experience and knowledge"

Kant argued rigorously, whatever is "being beyond the limits of all possible experience" i.e. a thing-in-itself is an illusion. Nevertheless, it is a useful illusion for morality and to drive science forward and I believe for therapeutic reasons.

In terms of credibility and objectivity, the Scientific facts [empirical] from the scientific FSRK are the most credible and objective, index at 100/100, while theological claims [blind faith] are at the other extreme, i.e. negligible objectivity and credibility [say 0.01/100].

Scientific facts at best are polished conjectures [Popper].
Since P1-P3 are based on more refined polished conjectures of science, the P4 and P5 that followed are thus, lesser-polished-conjectures, and are fundamentally conjectures.
Therefore the conclusion of the Cosmological Argument above is conjectural of very low credibility and objectivity.

Discuss??
Views??
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Cosmological Argument is Conjectural

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Notes: KIV