The Ideal of the One Who Paves the Way. A second amendment to Laurence Lampert's Leo Strauss and Nietzsche.

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Self-Lightening

Post by Self-Lightening »

promethean75 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:30 pm"It's just that our (justified (true)) belief that we'll never have a different life is itself a factor codetermining our unfree will."

'Codetermining'? Hmm. If one happens to believe they may have a different life, would they then have an unfree will? I don't think belief (in either case) qualifies the fact that we have no freewill. That's to say belief (or not) can't be a 'factor' in any of this.
Not a factor that (co)determines the unfreedom of our will, if that's what you mean (making it either free or unfree); but a factor (co)determining the character of our—unfree—will, the character of our will-which-is-unfree.

By "character", I mean the "to" of our will—what it is a will to. Not in the most general sense, in which every will is a will to power, of course. But if I have the will to go to the grocery store in order to buy food, my will is not just determined by my hunger or my (belief in my future) need for nutrition, but also by my belief that the grocery store sells food, that it's currently not closed, etc.
promethean75

Re: The Ideal of the One Who Paves the Way. A second amendment to Laurence Lampert's Leo Strauss and Nietzsche.

Post by promethean75 »

"Sorry, that was a typo on my part. I corrected it the second time, but hadn't spotted this one. I'll correct it now."

Oh thank goodne... er, i mean evilness. I was worried there for a second.