How Can P-Realists Understand Anti-Realism?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Angelo Cannata

Re: How Can P-Realists Understand Anti-Realism?

Post by Angelo Cannata »

So, how do you harmonize these two statements of yours:
Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:24 am it can never make sense to try to deal with an absolutely independent reality.
and
Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:03 pm "Objective reality" isn't relative, it's a posited absolute.
?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Angelo Cannata wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:43 pm So, how do you harmonize these two statements of yours:
Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:24 am it can never make sense to try to deal with an absolutely independent reality.
and
Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:03 pm "Objective reality" isn't relative, it's a posited absolute.
?
Objective reality is a posited absolute, and we are thought to be part of that objective reality, it's not completely independent of us. This is very simple but VA has never been able to grasp it for some reason.
Angelo Cannata

Post by Angelo Cannata »

Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:36 pm Objective reality is a posited absolute
"Absolute" means "independent of us". As a consequence, your statement can be changed into this one:

"Objective reality is a posited independent of us",

This way we reveal a contradiction in what you said:
Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:36 pm it's not completely independent of us.
because we get

"Objective reality is a posited independent of us, not completely independent of us",

How do you explain that?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Angelo Cannata wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:17 pm
Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:36 pm Objective reality is a posited absolute
"Absolute" means "independent of us". As a consequence, your statement can be changed into this one:

"Objective reality is a posited independent of us",

This way we reveal a contradiction in what you said:
Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:36 pm it's not completely independent of us.
because we get

"Objective reality is a posited independent of us, not completely independent of us",

How do you explain that?
No, "absolute" does not mean "independent of us". How did you come up with that?
Angelo Cannata

Post by Angelo Cannata »

Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:35 pm No, "absolute" does not mean "independent of us". How did you come up with that?
Here are a few definitions:

In philosophy (often specifically metaphysics), the absolute,[a] in most common usage, is a perfect, self-sufficient reality that depends upon nothing external to itself (Wikipedia)

The term Absolute denotes unconditioned and/or independence in the strongest sense (New World Encyclopedia)

Not dependent on or affected by anything outside oneself (Oxford English Dictionary)

Can you mention any philosophical author or dictionary where “absolute” does not mean or imply “independent of us”?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Angelo Cannata wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:34 pm
Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:35 pm No, "absolute" does not mean "independent of us". How did you come up with that?
Here are a few definitions:

In philosophy (often specifically metaphysics), the absolute,[a] in most common usage, is a perfect, self-sufficient reality that depends upon nothing external to itself (Wikipedia)

The term Absolute denotes unconditioned and/or independence in the strongest sense (New World Encyclopedia)

Not dependent on or affected by anything outside oneself (Oxford English Dictionary)

Can you mention any philosophical author or dictionary where “absolute” does not mean or imply “independent of us”?
Yes, for example the three you just wrote down. Nowhere does it say "of us". That would maybe even be a self-contradiction since if we aren't part of the absolute, then the absolute isn't absolute.
Angelo Cannata

Post by Angelo Cannata »

What is your definition of "absolute" in the context of this discussion?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Angelo Cannata wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:58 pm
What is your definition of "absolute" in the context of this discussion?
I'll rephrase it without the "absolute" word:

Objective reality is the posited non-subjective ultimate reality. The which to which there is no whicher. Well the main thing is that it's objective, not fundamentally mind-dependent like in anti-realism.

And imo in today's realism we are usually thought to be part of that objective reality, it's not completely independent of us.

This view is very simple but VA has never been able to grasp it for some reason. Or maybe he doesn't want to. Looks like VA thinks that the opposite of an independent (from us) objective reality is the mind-dependent subjective reality. Even though they are at least two steps apart. That's why he doesn't really understand the realism vs anti-realism discussion.
Angelo Cannata

Post by Angelo Cannata »

Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:10 pm I'll rephrase it without the "absolute" word
You have used the word "absolute", you even specified that it doesn't mean "independent of us": this means that the word "absolute" not only must have a meaning in your mind, but that its meaning must be quite precise in your mind. How is that now you avoid to define it?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Angelo Cannata wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:48 pm
Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:10 pm I'll rephrase it without the "absolute" word
You have used the word "absolute", you even specified that it doesn't mean "independent of us": this means that the word "absolute" not only must have a meaning in your mind, but that its meaning must be quite precise in your mind. How is that now you avoid to define it?
By "absolute" I meant "absolute", as it is defined in the dictonaries including the ones you quoted. Surprisingly you didn't know what the word means so I avoided using it and now that's a problem too?
Angelo Cannata

Post by Angelo Cannata »

Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:20 pm By "absolute" I meant "absolute", as it is defined in the dictonaries including the ones you quoted. Surprisingly you didn't know what the word means so I avoided using it and now that's a problem too?
You avoided again giving your definition of a word you used. This means that I have no way to work out what you mean when you say anything. Once you try to rephrase, I must expect that you will avoid my next requests for definitions of the new words you used to rephrase. Once you avoid to give your definitions, the discussion becomes impossible and I have no reason to be interested in it.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Angelo Cannata wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:34 pm
Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:20 pm By "absolute" I meant "absolute", as it is defined in the dictonaries including the ones you quoted. Surprisingly you didn't know what the word means so I avoided using it and now that's a problem too?
You avoided again giving your definition of a word you used. This means that I have no way to work out what you mean when you say anything. Once you try to rephrase, I must expect that you will avoid my next requests for definitions of the new words you used to rephrase. Once you avoid to give your definitions, the discussion becomes impossible and I have no reason to be interested in it.
Btw I already wrote "ultimate reality. The which to which there is no whicher." above to describe what I meant by that objective reality is an absolute.

It's an absolute, an ultimate, there is nothing beyond it, it doesn't depend on anything. So it's not relative.
Angelo Cannata

Post by Angelo Cannata »

Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:35 pm "absolute" does not mean "independent of us".
Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:42 pm it doesn't depend on anything
Atla

Post by Atla »

Angelo Cannata wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:58 pm
Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:35 pm "absolute" does not mean "independent of us".
Atla wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:42 pm it doesn't depend on anything
Those are both true. Okay wtf are you doing?