Atheism

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: Atheism

Post by Immanuel Can »

VVilliam wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:03 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:53 am
It appears to me that you are unwilling to question your belief about Agnosticism not being a position in its own right, and perhaps that is because it is necessary for you to remain dogmatic in that regard because it suits your preferred position (Theism).
No, the reason I'm defending it is that it's well thought-out and true. I can't really imagine how recognizing that agnosticism is a range, not a position, either hurts or helps make the case for Theism. It seems to me unrelated.

I believe it because it's the most sensible way to characterize agnosticism. And oddly, it's one of the few areas in which Dawkins and I even agree: Dawkins also sees agnosticism as being a range, which he pegs as "firm" to "soft," and I would characterize as "obdurate" to "reasonable."

But if you think otherwise, then I would think you could describe that definite "position" you think agnosticism holds. Go ahead: what axioms do you suppose all agnostics believe in common?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Mr. Wiggle wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:19 am
iambiguous wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:33 am
Unless, of course, I'm wrong.
You are not only (or merely) wrong — you are ridiculous.

Unless, of course, I’m wrong ….

(Unlikely but possible …)
Oh well, back to this...

"If he's not embarrassed to be reduced down to substanceless posts like this one, I'm not embarrassed to suggest that he ought to be."

One more try...
Now, again, given the focus of this thread, how about responding to this...

Just a reminder of what is at stake here...

1] moral commandments on this side of the grave...letting God do the thinking for you
2] immortality and salvation on the other side of it...soul to soul

You know, the actual "for all practical purposes" reason that Gods and religions exist in the first place.

That's why for those like me, any discussion of God has to eventually get around to something in the way of proof that a God, the God, your God does in fact exist.

Well, that and theodicy.
Now, in regard to God and religion, what exactly do you believe about them?

And in regard to morality, if you do not believe in them, do you still believe that mere mortals have access [philosophically or otherwise] to objective morality?

And your thoughts here and now on immortality and salvation?

And in regard to the behaviors that you choose pertaining to conflicting goods, how do you connect the dots between science and philosophy and religion?

Me? Well, I believe that science and philosophy have [so far] failed to establish anything in the vicinity of an objective, deontological morality. And only with religion does it appear possible that "the afterlife" is a factor.

And how could our own individual assessments of all this not be the embodiment of dasein? Given when historically and where culturally we are born, and given our own uniquely personal experiences, relationships and access to information and knowledge...of course we are going to come to many different conflicting conclusions.

Indeed, this is one of the main reasons Gods and religions were/are invented. A need for that "transcendent" font...a Creator that can pass "final judgment" on us.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:23 am
iambiguous wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:49 amAgain, all of this "serious philosophy" being exchanged when the bottom line for Christians is and always will be that unless AJ and henry and all the Atheists here accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior, they can kiss being saved goodbye.
Why is Christianity your measure? Why not Judaism or Islam or Buddhism or Wicca or...?
God and religion are my measure.

Any God or any religion that allows mere mortals to connect the dots between moral commandments on this side of the grave and immortality and salvation on the other side of it. In my view "for all practical purposes" the main reason they exist at all.

That and these four factors:
1] a demonstrable proof of the existence of your God or religious/spiritual path
2] addressing the fact that down through the ages hundreds of Gods and religious/spiritual paths to immortality and salvation were/are championed...but only one of which [if any] can be the true path. So why yours?
3] addressing the profoundly problematic role that dasein plays in any particular individual's belief in Gods and religious/spiritual faiths
4] the questions that revolve around theodicy and your own particular God or religious/spiritual path
As for the Deist God, you can't even tell us if a belief in Him involves immortality and salvation. Some Deists say yes, others say no. Some may as well just flip a coin.

As for Deism and objective morality? Well, "somehow" you connect the dots between God giving birth to mere mortals hard-wired to "follow the dictates of Reason and Nature". And yet at the same time, both adamantly and arrogantly, you seem to argue that only those who embrace your own rooted existentially in dasein assessments of life, liberty and property are being reasonable and natural. Philosophically, theologically, morally, politically.

Start here: https://www.google.com/search?q=do+deis ... s-wiz-serp

Then get back to us.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:26 amGod and religion are my measure.
If that's true then why fixate on Christianity? Judaism and Islam, the other two Abrahamic religions, never come up with you.
Any God or any religion that allows mere mortals to connect the dots between moral commandments on this side of the grave and immortality and salvation on the other side of it. In my view "for all practical purposes" the main reason they exist at all.
Look here...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_Hell

Judaism

See also: Sheol, Gehenna, and Jewish eschatology

Judaism teaches that the soul continues to exist after death, and that it is subject to both reward and punishment after death.[11] However, this punishment is held to be temporary, normally only lasting up to 12 months after death.[12] After this period, the soul is able to enjoy the light of God in the afterlife. Because the punishment is temporary, the problem of Hell in the Christian sense is less applicable to Judaism.

Both Non-Jews and Jews have a share in the World to Come, if they are righteous.[13]

Islam

See also: Jahannam

In Islam, Dozakh (hell) is the final destiny and place of punishment in Afterlife for those guilty of disbelief and (according to some interpretations) evil doing in their lives on earth.[31] Hell is regarded as necessary for Allah's (God's) divine justice and justified by God's absolute sovereignty, and an "integral part of Islamic theology".[31] In addition to the question of whether divine mercy (one of Names of God in Islam is "The Merciful" ar-Raḥīm) is compatible with consigning sinners to hell, is whether "predestination" of souls to hell by God is just. One of six articles of faith in Sunni Islam is God's control over everything that has happened and will happen in the universe—including sinful human behavior and who will go to Jahannam.[7] This introduces the question, (or at least the paradox), where sinners are said to be punished in Jahannam for their decision to sin of their own free will, but everything that happens in the world is determined by an all powerful and all knowing God.[32][33]
As for the Deist God
Not relevant to my question.

When there are other Abrahamic religions, and a slew of other non-Abrahamic religions, why is Christianity your measure?
VVilliam

Post by VVilliam »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:57 am
VVilliam wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:03 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:53 am
It appears to me that you are unwilling to question your belief about Agnosticism not being a position in its own right, and perhaps that is because it is necessary for you to remain dogmatic in that regard because it suits your preferred position (Theism).
No, the reason I'm defending it is that it's well thought-out and true. I can't really imagine how recognizing that agnosticism is a range, not a position, either hurts or helps make the case for Theism. It seems to me unrelated.

I believe it because it's the most sensible way to characterize agnosticism. And oddly, it's one of the few areas in which Dawkins and I even agree: Dawkins also sees agnosticism as being a range, which he pegs as "firm" to "soft," and I would characterize as "obdurate" to "reasonable."
1. I point to your own complaint about atheists being able to be one or the other and how Dawkins refers to Agnosticism being a range of soft to firm.

This would not happen if Agnosticism was seen as a position unique from Materialism (atheism) and Theism.

2. That you agree with Dawkins on this (because you think it is well thought out and (claimed) to be true) means that this could signify it is convenient and thus does "help make the case for Theism" whereas, treated as its own unique position would require both theists and materialists (atheists) acknowledge that as true and respond to argument from that position as being Agnostic rather than Materialist (atheistic) or Theistic.
But if you think otherwise, then I would think you could describe that definite "position" you think agnosticism holds. Go ahead: what axioms do you suppose all agnostics believe in common?
Based upon what we have already engaged with in our interaction here, I offer the following.

1. Openness to Knowledge: Agnosticism is characterized by an openness to knowledge. Agnostics do not assert definitive beliefs about the existence or non-existence of God but acknowledge the limitations of their current knowledge.
2. Position on the Primary Question: Agnosticism centers around the primary question of whether we exist within a created thing. Agnostics neither affirm nor deny this proposition definitively, recognizing the need for more information.
3. Absence of Dogmatic Belief: Agnosticism stands out for its avoidance of dogmatic belief structures. Unlike atheism and theism, agnostics do not commit to a specific belief about the existence of God.
4. Assessment of Available Data: Agnostics base their position on the assessment of available data. They are willing to consider new information and adjust their stance accordingly.
5. Acknowledgment of Unknowns: Agnosticism acknowledges the vast unknowns and uncertainties, especially concerning the nature of existence after death. Agnostics refrain from making definitive claims about what lies beyond without sufficient evidence.
6. Individual Approach: Agnosticism is recognized as an individualized approach to philosophical questions. While common themes exist among agnostics, the position allows for personal exploration and interpretation.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

VVilliam wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:39 am This would not happen if Agnosticism was seen as a position unique from Materialism (atheism) and Theism.
But agnosticism isn't a single position. It's a range.

I say again, if you believe otherwise, I'm happy for you to spell out the particulars of this "position" you suppose all agnostics to hold. I think you'll find there's far more cases that don't fit any singular position than there are cases that fit any "positional" definition you can suggest.

But have a try. I'd be interested to see what you think that "position" involves. I see you've had a go below.
Based upon what we have already engaged with in our interaction here, I offer the following.

1. Openness to Knowledge: Agnosticism is characterized by an openness to knowledge. Agnostics do not assert definitive beliefs about the existence or non-existence of God but acknowledge the limitations of their current knowledge.
2. Position on the Primary Question: Agnosticism centers around the primary question of whether we exist within a created thing. Agnostics neither affirm nor deny this proposition definitively, recognizing the need for more information.
3. Absence of Dogmatic Belief: Agnosticism stands out for its avoidance of dogmatic belief structures. Unlike atheism and theism, agnostics do not commit to a specific belief about the existence of God.
4. Assessment of Available Data: Agnostics base their position on the assessment of available data. They are willing to consider new information and adjust their stance accordingly.
5. Acknowledgment of Unknowns: Agnosticism acknowledges the vast unknowns and uncertainties, especially concerning the nature of existence after death. Agnostics refrain from making definitive claims about what lies beyond without sufficient evidence.
6. Individual Approach: Agnosticism is recognized as an individualized approach to philosophical questions. While common themes exist among agnostics, the position allows for personal exploration and interpretation.
Well, I would point out that #2 is your own, and is not generally found to be how agnostics frame their concern. Mostly, they frame it as doubt that God exists.

And as for #4, it suggests that agnostics cannot be agnostics without "data." But clearly, they can; one could just as easily be an agnostic on presupposition, or on preference, or on intution, with absolutely no data brought into the question at all. Would you claim that such are not agnostics?

It seems to me that #1, #3 and #5 are actually redundant. Essentially, they just say the same thing in different words: they are open to new knowledge, they have no dogmatic beliefs, they recognize unknowns -- those are all just other ways of saying, "We realize we don't know everything." And while that is basic to agnosticism, it's not really three points at all, but one: and that one point is pretty much the definition of agnosticism itself.

And #6 -- I see not reason to believe it's necessary at all. Agnostics might operate individualistically, sure; but just as likely, they could go along with the agnosticism bedded in their particular society, or follow the agnosticism proposed to them by others. I'm certain that most agnostics today are really only agnostics because they've heard from somebody, and find it convenient to continue to believe, that answers to their doubts are simply not available. It saves so much time and anxiety on the search, you see, if they conclude before any search that there's nothing to be found. In that sense, it's quite possible for an agnostic to be operating on pure intellectual laziness. I've met some like that, too.

Now, maybe there are some agnostics that fit your six criteria. Not many will fit #2, since it's from you, and I've never seen it from a single agnostic, though I've talked to many. But they might fit the other five of your criteria (or three, really, since three are redundant). But I don't think that's many agnostics, for the reasons I've pointed out above. So I have to suggest that maybe your criteria are self-selected, rather than being intrinsic to the position. But if you can supply further evidence that every agnostic actually believes all or most of the six, I'll rethink that.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Well hast thou taught the way that might direct
Our knowledge, and the scale of Nature set
From center to circumference, whereon
In contemplation of created things
By steps we may ascend to God.
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:19 pm Excellent. Then at least we can agree on that.
You provide launching points for an examination of the *metaphysical picture* that directs and controls your perception. Once one has understood that there is an overarching *picture* through which you order your interpretation of this world, and once one has seen that to one degree or another we all must do this, it is at that point where an actual *conversation* could begin. Please note: you refuse that conversation. You refuse to examine the imposed order of your own metaphysical structure, or to put it slightly differently, you refuse to examine it as just one among many possibilities in the organization of a sense of Order.

Therefore: back to the beginning we must go. The entirety of your belief system depends on a sense, a picture in fact, of Cosmic Order. That is, the Garden in which the First Couple had existence. Something disturbed that Order. It was Absolutely Perfect because it was God's created space. There was no toil, no pain and no death in that Original Space. But there came along something that was the efficient cause of the disruption of the Cosmic Perfection. Instigated by Satan (though the idea that the Snake was Satan was introduced later as the metaphysics were concretized) to *disobedience* to the commands of Divine Order the First Couple not so much fell but were tossed out of the Beautiful Order. The notion of Fall implies movement from one level to another, lower level. And here, even if it is not as clear as it could be, and related to the notion of Cosmic Order, is the idea and the laws pertaining to Hierarchy.

So in your way of visualizing things, obviously derived from a Biblical Picture, Adam & Eve descended from one quite high, indeed perfect, hierarchical level and down into this Earth Realm (the place where all of are now) which is, by definition, an Afflicted World. The World itself, in some mysterious manner that I cannot visualize, was tarnished & corrupted as punishment for the Disobedience of the Original Pair. Let us make it plain: all our human woes, all our troubles, all our pain anxiety distress fear arose when we lost our Proper and Decreed Ground on a Higher Metaphysical Plane. But we must also note that Strife ruled on this level. The First Murder emblemized that strife.

So these are the elements of Metaphysical Story upon which an Existential perceptual system was constructed. You cannot subtract those elements because they are the Foundation of the Metaphysical Picture. However, you could substitute an entirely different scenery -- an entirely different set of Stories and Pictures -- that could well describe the same loss of a Perfect State and the notion of Fall (down into a prison-realm).

So I could present, as illustration, the Vaishnava (a sect that worships Vishnu) notion that we are all existing in *a material entanglement* that arose because we were lured away from God's Perfect World by our attraction for the Phenomena of the World. The proposition is that there is such a thing as *God's Internal Energy* and *God's External Energy'. We are located, according to metaphysical definition, is an Existential Sphere (Loka) that is strung between God's Internal Energy and God's External Energy.

All of our problems arise because of our 1) location (the nature of the place itself) and 2) because of our desires and inclinations. If we give ourselves over to the World's Processes (getting, enjoying, hoarding) we tighten the grip that that materialism has on us and we careen, evermore, into God's Exterior Energy and away from God's Interior Energy. God's Interior Energy corresponds with the ill-defined Christian notion of *Heaven*.

What I want to focus on, Immanuel, is in the sense of *admonition* that you bring out in your preaching.
[Middle English amonishen, admonishen, alteration of amonesten, from Old French amonester, admonester, from Vulgar Latin *admonestāre, from Latin admonēre : ad-, ad- + monēre, to warn; see men- in Indo-European roots.]
Personally, and as a critic of your preaching style and the content of your preached message, I do not think you explain enough in relation to this admonition. But the admonition in Christian rhetoric is crucial indeed. One is admonished both to *do something* and also *not to do* other things. My point is that the same notion is evident and operates in other religious-ethical systems. My view is that the Christian Admonition is not well-enough explained. It has lost its sense of connection to an Overarching Divine Order that certainly was strongly present when the Metaphysical Worldview was not doubted and not opposed or assaulted by a view that simply cannot see the world through these Metaphysical Pictures.

For this reason I want to point out that even though you (Immanuel) pretend to being situated within Modernity -- your language, your academic background, your careful use of language, your emphasis on *logic* and Aristotelian discourse -- your Worldview, your Metaphysics, is actually and more truly that of the former Age which is now *merely a shadow* of what it once was. Your preaching is unsuccessful for a number of reasons but one of them is because you cannot recognize that you are an advocate and an apologist for a Metaphysical Picture that is understood now not to apply and you are talking with people who have, in varying degrees, been *spat out* from or extruded from that olden Medieval worldview and who wander in the Here Below without a clear Metaphysical Picture.

The only thing that you call for (admonish) is this weird act of Accepting Jesus. Mystically, magically, this act of the will, causes this state you call Salvation to descend down on a man. I do not know what images to employ here. Is it a switch that Jesus flips? Is it a supernal illumination that is imbued into one? Is it a subtle marker or signal that, on the opposite side of the equation, corresponds to the Mark of Cain? But whatever the case it is that act -- Accepting Jesus -- that saves one from literally everything about this existence that is described in terms of falling from a high state down into a lower (prison-like) state.

Now I am not in any sense uninterested in this View or in any View which involves a Picture of our Metaphysical Condition. But I do find that only when one reduces the Metaphysical Predicates down to their most elemental does it become possible to offer a sound REASON as to why one should bother to think in metaphysical terms.

Another curious aspect about your preaching is that it does not ever involve any reference to or description of the Demoniac Element which, let's face it, is as necessary to Christian metaphysics as is any definition of an Absolutely Good God. But what has destroyed the Original Order in which the First Couple was blissfully and eternally living was, in Christian Metaphysics, none other that the Demoniac Presence that has rulership here. Thus if no one is responding properly to your Preaching Message, it is because Satan is intruding between it and the Salvation that you represent. There is no alternative, in fact.

Yet I would suggest that *Satan* must be better understood as a Metaphysical Principle (or anti-principle) in order to make the Story you present more intelligible.
Excellent. Then at least we can agree on that.
Let us -- Oh Noble Brother! -- agree that it is these things, these elements, that are the true base of an honest and upright conversation about your Metaphysical System as you present it to the Forum, and as you have been presenting it for longer than a Decade!
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:58 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:19 pm Excellent. Then at least we can agree on that.
You provide launching points...
:roll: We're done.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:13 am
    phyllo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:00 pm
    Alex Jacobi wrote: You cannot rely on Nature to define a philosophical or ethical position or view.
    Where else could it come from, if not nature?
    That is the essence of the question, I think.

The metaphysical systems I am familiar with, and definitely the Vedic, describe things through metaphysical prepositions. God “comes down” from some other realm and appears (usually rescues through teaching) those souls gone astray.

Jesus Christ has a great deal in common with an incarnation of Vishnu. The idea would be thoroughly comprehensible to a qualified Vedic.

But the idea is not so extraordinary if it is understood as universal. In this our world, and in all conceivable worlds, a manifestation of God rescues errant souls.

But is it from nature? It is generally described as supernatural, unearthly and “other”.

This is definitely so with the Hebrew/Christian conception. The angelic realm of God is incomprehensible to Earth. In fact “the Earth” is the Devil’s Kingdom which is conquered and subdued by an invading God.

I am describing ‘pictures’.

My own view is that pictures are images or messages projected on a wall (our mind and imagination). But we cannot be fooled by the projection. Return to the self means return to reality: where we really are located.
    There are arguments for god and descriptions of the essence of god which come from observations of nature. For example, the argument from complexity/design or the argument from morality.

Some aspects of nature seem to necessitate the existence of god(s).

If that was not the case, then we would only have arguments from 'wishful thinking'. We wish we had immortality or we wish we had justice. There are those and atheists say that's all there is. But I doubt that would be sufficient to sustain the idea of god(s) in the long term.

Some people say that god is entirely a construct of the human mind. So there is no 'real' god and no direct interaction with god. That's the "inner plane".

Some people place god firmly in nature, as part of nature. Others place god outside nature but affecting nature and we see the effects. Either way, we don't interact with a supernatural god directly. Nature is the medium.
    Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:07 pm We're done.
    You’re done. ✅

I’m just now gaining the full advantage I will to claim.
    Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

I admit to wondering often: Is it that I describe Immanuel’s Christian-Evangelism in truthful terms which offends (what the System is, where it comes from, what maintains it, what its function for people is) or is it simply the (rude?) act of encapsulating it in a (somewhat overacted) neo-academic tone?

Or would he say “No! Your encapsulation is entirely false! It’s not like that at all. It’s like this …” (and then the necessary message is stated).

I often wander the foggy Heath here from midnight to the dawn hours while pondering these and many such Questions. 🤔

Much like as Keats put it musing on the Nightengales of Heaven:
    …. Divine melodious truth
    Philosophic numbers smooth.
    phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Is it "Christian-Evangelism" or only "Immanuel’s Christian-Evangelism"?
    Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

How do you separate?
    phyllo

Post by phyllo »

One would describe shared characteristics and the other would additionally describe some unique characteristics which only his version has.

Where is the focus?
    Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Well, ultimately (as far as my focus goes) I am interested in the events and goings-on in the present cultural situation.

I see people who are “adrift” because of the *loss of horizon* Nietzsche wrote about; and simultaneously people trying to recover their locality within a *tangible ground* that, certainly, involves re-grounding within an existent (defined) religious system.

For example, today & now, in a strange way, large segments of America are re-grounding themselves in an odd branch of American Christianity. A large segment that remains fiercely loyal to Trump are Christian Zionists of a sort similar to Immanuel. Examined at all closely it is obviously a type of postmodern Holy Madness. These are lunatic beliefs. And we live in times of upheaval of lunatic madness.

So, certainly, within this context, an examination of this brand of fanatic religious madness can be examined and, I’d say, must be examined by “concerned citizens”.