Resolution Of The Greatest Philosophical Question About Mathematics: (the red question)

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

roydop

Resolution Of The Greatest Philosophical Question About Mathematics: (the red question)

Post by roydop »

Will the greatest philosophical revelation in history be recognized by philosophers?

https://youtu.be/g_Y5eMbOU9s?si=y4XqlBissWob8xSQ
Iwannaplato

Re: Resolution Of The Greatest Philosophical Question About Mathematics: (the red question)

Post by Iwannaplato »

roydop wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:13 pm Will the greatest philosophical revelation in history be recognized by philosophers?

Well, I'll start small with the opening.
Just because someone, or even large numbers of people, ask a question about something, does not mean their questions are based on qualities of what they are asking about. Math could SEEM to have qualities/facets/aspects that are invented, or must have been, and SEEM to have qualities/facets/aspects that are discovered, but actually just be one or the other. If one bases one's evidence on what people are asking, because people can be confused. Even large numbers of people can confuses what seems with what is. There are all sorts of optical illusions, for example, or things that seem like something in nature, but are really something else. Or things that seem to be happening that are not, and so on.

Then I think it's better to leave out 'superposition'. Unless you really mean it is the same phenomenon as particles in superposition - possibly several positions etc. - and they when observed they are now just one of the possible. Does this happen with math that when it is not observed it is potentially both discovered and invented, but after being observed it becomes just one of these?

I did watch an earlier version of this argument, so perhaps I should remember how you intend superposition, but I'm afraid I don't.
promethean75

Re: Resolution Of The Greatest Philosophical Question About Mathematics: (the red question)

Post by promethean75 »

Roy we need math bro becuz we exist in a world of objects and distances and durations, and we gotta traverse this world, be able to make accurate predictions about it so we can safely and effectively navigate and use it. We need a language that helps us communicate during this endeavor.

Like what if u and me were chllin in an apple orchard and i wanted neither a apple or all of the apples, and i aksed u to get me some apples? How many apples would u get me? Well how the fuck do u know... i haven't told u how many apples i want. I want two apples, Roy. TWO (2), not more, not less.

See how awesome math is? See how much trouble it saved u?

I mean what were u going to do... pick every apple off the trees but one and bring em all to me hollerin 'math is an evil illusion and were stuck in the matrix!'

Don't be silly.

p.s. you're bustin out of that shirt, man. Go easy on the curls.
alan1000

Post by alan1000 »

and thus this thread dies... we thank thee, Lord, for this mercy.
Atla

Post by Atla »

alan1000 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:58 pm and thus this thread dies... we thank thee, Lord, for this mercy.
Well, now that you dug up the thread, maybe it will explode..
godelian

Post by godelian »

roydop wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:13 pm Will the greatest philosophical revelation in history be recognized by philosophers?

(Some) mathematics is part of the biological firmware of pretty much every animal species:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/anim ... -honeybees

Many wild animals 'count'—and it helps them survive to another day

In addition to avoiding predators, the ability to grasp quantity can help solve a range of problems, such as finding a mate, foraging, and navigating.

Now, in one of the most sweeping analyses to date, a scientist has brought together all the research on the subject and found that, from bees to birds to wolves, many animals have an ability to process and represent numbers—arguably a form of counting.

What's more, the new study suggests that this mathematical prowess helps animals stay alive in a brutal world.

But the research, published in the new issue of Trends in Ecology and Evolution, “shows that basic numerical abilities are very widespread in the animal kingdom, and can be advantageous in the struggle for survival.”

After perusing nearly 150 scientific articles on the subject, he concluded that “numerical competence is present on almost every branch on the animal tree of life.”

Not surprisingly, his review showed that many species rely on numbers to find food.

Many species need to assess the strength and relative number of opponents before engaging in a fight for territory or for a mate.
Every animal needs some amount of mathematics just to survive.

Eventually, because of the growing complexity of civilization, humans used the simplistic implementation embedded in our own biological firmware as a starting point and gradually started systematizing it into the large and complex axiomatic systems that we have today. These systems allow us to prove theorems that are much more complex than the simpler ones that we need to survive in the wild.

But then again, I tend to reject the strictly psychologism-based or even animalistic ontology of mathematics because computers are not humans and are not animals either, while they can do all of that too.

Mathematics is not invented. A simple version of it is built into our biology, for reasons of survival.