The Ten Commandments are Garbage.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: The Ten Commandments are Garbage.

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:08 amAs for POSH. Despite being popularised in CHitty CHitty Bang Bang, that also is a false etymology, and never appeared on tickets for passage to India.
How was POSH popularised in Chitty Bang?

Personally, I think the WOM (word of mouth) of old gits like my Dad stand to greater reason, so I'm sticking with it originating from Port Out Starboard Home. It matters not that it wasn't stamped on tickets, although granted that might have provided some evidence.

This is what GPT said:
The origin of the term "posh" is not definitively traced to "Port Out Starboard Home." While this explanation is often cited, there isn't strong evidence to support it. "Port Out Starboard Home" refers to the preferred cabins on ships traveling between England and India during the British Raj, where passengers would have the cooler side of the ship.

The word "posh" itself is believed to have originated in the 19th century as a slang term among the upper class in Britain, meaning elegant, stylish, or luxurious. The connection to "Port Out Starboard Home" may have been a later invention or a coincidental backronym.

Language etymology can be complex and sometimes elusive, and the true origin of certain words and phrases may remain uncertain. In the case of "posh," while the connection to ship cabins is widely known, its exact origins are still a matter of speculation.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:18 am
Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:08 amAs for POSH. Despite being popularised in CHitty CHitty Bang Bang, that also is a false etymology, and never appeared on tickets for passage to India.
How was POSH popularised in Chitty Bang?
Grandpa Potts sings a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BzjPukTLoY

The word posh is attested as early as the early 20thC but the ide it was an acronym was invented in 1955.
Same rubbish for SHIT. Stow High In Transit.

Keep your myths as you like. It's thinking like yours that keeps the human race in primitive infancy.

And I don't give a rats arse what GPT sais. Its a language model that has no understanding.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:24 amKeep your myths as you like. It's thinking like yours that keeps the human race in primitive infancy.
Care to expand on that? (*warning: it probably won't end well for ya :wink: )

Sculptor wrote:And I don't give a rats arse what GPT sais. Its a language model that has no understanding.
The fact that GPT has no understanding is irrelevant, it's just a useful resource that provides information from whence it scanned the internet. A lot easier than me bothering to do my own searches via google\bing\duck etc..
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:33 am
Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:24 amKeep your myths as you like. It's thinking like yours that keeps the human race in primitive infancy.

Sculptor wrote:And I don't give a rats arse what GPT sais. Its a language model that has no understanding.
The fact that GPT has no understanding is irrelevant, it's just a useful resource that provides information from whence it scanned the internet. A lot easier than me bothering to do my own searches via google\bing\duck etc..
The world is being torn down because people believe through choice and not evidence
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Oh the irony...
Alexiev

Post by Alexiev »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:59 am

The world is being torn down because people believe through choice and not evidence.
Everyone believes through choice, including you. You've never measured your distance from the sun, but you probably believe it's 93 million miles. That's because you've chosen to believe what certain people tell you. You've never counted all the people in Tokyo, but you believe the almanac or the census. The difference between the scientific and religious world view is not so distinct as you might claim. We all believe what people whom we accept as authorities tell us. The difference is whom we accept as authorities. The "evidence", however, is similar -- the statements of authorities.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Alexiev wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:01 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:59 am

The world is being torn down because people believe through choice and not evidence.
Everyone believes through choice, including you.
Er. No.
Sometimes the truth is not nice, and you have to give up the bollocks you want to believe.
When you have figured that out then you have grown up.
Alexiev

Post by Alexiev »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:28 pm

Er. No.
Sometimes the truth is not nice, and you have to give up the bollocks you want to believe.
So you counted all the residents of Tokyo? And you measured the distance to the sun? You are simply repeating your silly claims, without providing the least bit of evidence in their support (except your authority, which no reasonable person would accept).
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Alexiev wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:30 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:28 pm

Er. No.
So you counted all the residents of Tokyo? And you measured the distance to the sun? You are simply repeating your silly claims, without providing the least bit of evidence in their support (except your authority, which no reasonable person would accept).
:lol: :lol:
The exact number of Tokyo residents is not relevant, neither is the exact distance to the sun.
Have you got anymore dumb questions. because I've got a whole bucket of Don't-give-a-fucks
Alexiev

Post by Alexiev »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:29 pm
The exact number of Tokyo residents is not relevant, neither is the exact distance to the sun.
Have you got anymore dumb questions. because I've got a whole bucket of Don't-give-a-fucks
It's relevant to how we decide what to believe. It points out that you believe things for precisely the same reason that Fundamentalists do -- because people you trust tell you they are true.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Alexiev wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:39 pm
It's relevant to how we decide what to believe. It points out that you believe things for precisely the same reason that Fundamentalists do -- because people you trust tell you they are true.
No not relevant . Find something that is, and we can have a conversation.
No one is seriously arguing about those two numbers, they are not in contention.
Accpeting them one way or the other shall not change the way I live my life.
Alexiev

Post by Alexiev »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:08 am
No one is seriously arguing about those two numbers, they are not in contention.
If you're not interested in how we decide to believe what we believe, philosophy may not be the subject for you.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Learn to be honest with yourself. It's one of the hardest things for a human to do.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Alexiev wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:15 pm

If you're not interested in how we decide to believe what we believe, philosophy may not be the subject for you.
lol
No that's your problem.
I told you what you need to avoid, but you seem to think there is not escape. You you might was well keep your head in the sand.