God cannot be proved or disproved

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

God cannot be proved or disproved

Post by bahman »

Well, there are two scenarios when it comes to the beginning of the universe: 1) The universe existed at the beginning of time and 2) The universe started to exist at the beginning of time. I will discuss (2) first and then return to (1).

To discuss this further I have to make a distinction between two scenarios namely, time is an element of the universe, and time is not an element of the universe. I can show the first case leads to a regress so it is not acceptable. How does it lead to regress? Well, we have to note that time is needed for any change. It then follows that time is needed for time to begin whether there is a creator or not. This obviously leads to regress. The regress is not acceptable. Therefore, the universe cannot begin to exist. The universe exists. Therefore, time is not an element of the universe. This leaves us with the second option which is, that time is not an element of the universe. Time however in this picture has to have a beginning otherwise we are dealing with eternal time which is logically unacceptable. The physical that exists then either brought to existence by the act of creation or existed since the beginning of time. I personally don't have any argument against these two scenarios. Feel free to prove or disprove if you can. Therefore, God cannot be proved or disproved.
Impenitent

Re: God cannot be proved or disproved

Post by Impenitent »

time did not exist until you came into existence

-Imp