The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by Lacewing »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:06 am
Lacewing wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:53 am
Walker wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:34 am Some folks see nothing but problems, don’t you know.
Like the way you see Democrats? And Biden? Don't you know you're describing yourself?
He doesn't know. He has his neo-hindu non-dualism and veneration of gurus and he has his particular brand of conservativism, which includes sexism and possibly racism also. And cognitive dissonance, the approaching feeling of it, has buffered him from ever trying to reconcile the two. He can flip from one to the other without even noticing.
Good description/explanation. I don't understand how such an obvious and willful mental schism is possible for a 'thinking person'.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:32 pm
Like the way you see Democrats? And Biden? Don't you know you're describing yourself?
He doesn't know. He has his neo-hindu non-dualism and veneration of gurus and he has his particular brand of conservativism, which includes sexism and possibly racism also. And cognitive dissonance, the approaching feeling of it, has buffered him from ever trying to reconcile the two. He can flip from one to the other without even noticing.
Good description/explanation. I don't understand how such an obvious and willful mental schism is possible for a 'thinking person'.
Well, we all have schisms somewhere, something we don't want to look at or notice, but this one is so glaring and expressed. Or better put both sides of the schism are so openly expressed. I suppose there's a bell curve for most human qualities.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:46 pm Well, we all have schisms somewhere, something we don't want to look at or notice, but this one is so glaring and expressed. Or better put both sides of the schism are so openly expressed.
Yes... it's more typical, I guess, that our schisms are quiet little workers/disruptors in our thinking and lives -- so it's surprising when they're screamed proudly from the mountaintops. :)
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:19 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:46 pm Well, we all have schisms somewhere, something we don't want to look at or notice, but this one is so glaring and expressed. Or better put both sides of the schism are so openly expressed.
Yes... it's more typical, I guess, that our schisms are quiet little workers/disruptors in our thinking and lives -- so it's surprising when they're screamed proudly from the mountaintops. :)
yes, there should be an echo when the other sub-personality takes over. Gosh, that sounds like my voice bouncing around in the valley screaming things I don't agree with.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:34 pm
Lacewing wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:19 pm
yes, there should be an echo when the other sub-personality takes over. Gosh, that sounds like my voice bouncing around in the valley screaming things I don't agree with.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
seeds

Post by seeds »

Walker wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:34 am Some folks see nothing but problems, don’t you know.
He doesn't know. He has his neo-hindu non-dualism and veneration of gurus and he has his particular brand of conservativism, which includes sexism and possibly racism also.
I'm not sure why you would say "possibly" racism?

I mean, anyone who would write this...
Walker wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:50 am Talk to China about their filthy habits. The US is cleaner than ever, except for the filthy desert around desert cities where immigrants and ne'er-do-wells have brought their littering habits.
...is clearly demonstrating a form of implicit racism.

Indeed, the Trumpian "dark side" of the force is strong in this one.

For many decades now, the Chinese people have been clothing us, and feeding us, and providing us westerners with affordable necessities, yet here we have a person like Walker who, in one moment touts the loving and compassionate attitudes of the gurus he worships,...

...then in the very next moment, insults and disparages our Chinese brothers and sisters with the accusation of having "filthy habits."

Furthermore, if the reason he is calling the U.S. "cleaner than ever," is related to air pollution and climate change, then it takes a special kind of bonehead not to realize that if the U.S. is indeed reducing its pollution output,...

...then it's probably due to greedy American business tycoons having their goods (such as gaudy red ties) manufactured in China where the cost of labor is cheaper due to the fact that China literally has 4 times as many mouths to feed than America.

Again, as I mentioned earlier, if Walker's utterly shameful display of disrespect for our Chinese brothers and sisters (and of "immigrants" of whatever stripe) is the result of his study and worship of his favorite gurus,...

...then that's all one needs to know about the impact their teachings have had on his moral core.
_______
Walker

Post by Walker »

Such shameful mischaracterizations of Walker. Simply shameful. Create a world of lies and expect another to answer for those lies. The horse says ... Nay! Nay and nay again.

Shocking, this toxic den of Leftists. Away with you! You foul the air.

Focus on the content of the Sage, you insignificant pack of yipping trolls, you dogs and vermin. :|

:mrgreen:
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:58 am
Iwannaplato wrote to Walker

Good example. Since you treat women like trash.

Here's a mild example, but I'm too lazy to go digging....
If guns weren't so emotional and unpredictable they would be much easier to control.

No wait ... that's women.
And then there's direct women-hate you've aimed at don'taskme.

Thank you.
Finally someone stands up to this woman bashing control freak, and calls him out for his relentless derogatory attitude toward women, namely Dam.

Thanks for your words of support. Much appreciated.
DAM will be the first to tell you ... the best things don't always come in small packages. She likes 'em big, pictures and fantasies, that is.
Walker

Post by Walker »

seeds wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:26 pm ...
Hogwash, you nasty little assassin. A pox upon your vile world.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:34 pm...
Still unqualified.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:36 pm ...
Groupies never die, they just grow old and fade away.
Walker

Post by Walker »

They are problems. Haven't you been paying attention?
This has been explained and proven, many times, in many threads, with many postings.

What problem do I pose? None.

Do you understand what, "nothing but," means? It means, "everything."
Biden and The Democrats That Hate America, are not everything.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:06 am Ah, the dabbler tosses in a dash of Zen.
Anyway, see my response to Lacewing above.
You know what? You're annoying.

For one thing, Zen ain't my thing, and there are reasons for that rooted in the paths of Buddhism.
That shows how little you know of Zen.
That explanation would be wasted on one such as you.
My time would be wasted, obviously.
You may continue to wallow in your self-satisfied ignorance that has turned you into a worm.

Slick was a cool name, however it's a misnomer, and it's wasted on you.

Iwnnaplato is pure slime.

Take that higher. I figure it might take some doing, given your past performance of ego assertion and protection.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Walker wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:04 pm You know what? You're annoying.
In this case, that's a compliment.
For one thing, Zen ain't my thing,
But you plucked a little Zen cliche anyway.
and there are reasons for that rooted in the paths of Buddhism.
That shows how little you know of Zen.
That I didn't realize you don't like Zen? That doesn't matter. You're still a plucker.
That explanation would be wasted on one such as you.
My time would be wasted, obviously.
You may continue to wallow in your self-satisfied ignorance that has turned you into a worm.

Slick was a cool name, however it's a misnomer, and it's wasted on you.

Iwnnaplato is pure slime.

Take that higher. I figure it might take some doing, given your past performance of ego assertion and protection.
Yes, yes. We're online. We can't see and hear all your tells. Maybe you'll get lucky and fool someone.
A lot of good that'll do you.

Nice use of cliches by the way.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Slime confirmed.