When Can We Put Yhwh to Rest?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

When Can We Put Yhwh to Rest?

Post by Gary Childress »

There are parts of the Bible that really seem to be the work of moral depravity. Drowning everyone on Earth. Commanding the "chosen" people to commit genocide. "Testing" Abraham to see if he'd go through with sacrificing his son like a goat to God? Is this really stuff people need to read and internalize outside of early Neolithic societies? Stooping to the Bible is like ignoring physics and trying to canonize astrology instead. Can't we move on to more sophisticated beliefs? I understand that some parents like to tell their children that Santa Claus won't visit them if they are bad, but we're not nomadic tribesmen explaining the world in terms of magical spirits and demons anymore. Time to meet the 21st century. Life is not fairy godmothers and godfathers and angels coming down from heaven to cast out "demons".

Life is complicated. Morality is complicated. There are no "chosen" people. We're all in this together, like it or not. Time to grow up and embrace what is difficult to embrace.
Walker

Re: When Can We Put Yhwh to Rest?

Post by Walker »

Sure Gary. Drop your fantasies.

Care to buy a vowel? Gary, you can think whatever pops into your noggin, however your error is your own cliched Utopia of "all in this together."

Both the history of the world and the present indicates that a lot of folks, such as murderous and terrorist Hamas, think that we're not in this together, and since the cradle have been taught to hate and exterminate those not in this with them.

You can't change that.
Walker

Post by Walker »

This is not intended as blasphemy. It is meant to use The Holy Bible as a metaphor to reveal a principle.

Expand your mind to the level of principles, Gary the undecided. Let’s say you don’t believe in God, at all. However because you’re human, worship is intrinsically inside you, just waiting to be activated by secondary conditions. You may not know it as such because it hasn’t been isolated and is only detected through behaviors, and you may not be aware of that, but it is there, waiting for you.

Corrupting that intrinsic worship gene is the method of controlling you. For example, you may be corrupted into worshipping and naming your swords, your implements of death.

For example: The totalitarian government that controls your life, that you have been persuaded to worship through societal conditioning, tells you that you must work all the time, because you have that ability. Don’t worry, the state will take care of your family’s basic needs. Your son’s basic needs.

The totalitarian government is saying to you, deliver your son unto Me, to prove your faith in Me.

So you say to your family, I’m off to the uranium mines because I evolved to have a strong back and a weak mind. You say to your son, our relationship will now only be a memory. The government that we worship has ordered it to be so, and we must do this for the benefit of all, because we’re all in this together. You say, Mom can work and the state will raise you in a group of non-blood relations.

You say, our family sacrifice is supposed to make the weather better for all … I don’t see how, that would be a miracle, but I believe!

Only in this metaphor, the totalitarian government doesn’t say hey man, just kidding and thanks for not flinching.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:29 am...
Come on now Gary. You started some good stuff. Don't let it get buried. Take it higher.

This may help. :wink:
viewtopic.php?p=680793#p680793
VVilliam

Post by VVilliam »

Perhaps one can take the god out of the name and the name out of the god.

I Am Who and What I Am could - for some - be "dead to them" - but does that mean it is an actual dead thing?
Walker

Post by Walker »

VVilliam wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:37 pm Perhaps one can take the god out of the name and the name out of the god.

I Am Who and What I Am could - for some - be "dead to them" - but does that mean it is an actual dead thing?
That's over my head.
VVilliam

Post by VVilliam »

Walker wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:39 pm
VVilliam wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:37 pm Perhaps one can take the god out of the name and the name out of the god.

That's over my head.
"I Am Who and What I Am" = "YHVH/YAWH"
Walker

Post by Walker »

VVilliam wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:04 am
Walker wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:39 pm

That's over my head.
"I Am Who and What I Am" = "YHVH/YAWH"
Perhaps one can get hung up on words.