Can philosophy cure depression ?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: Can philosophy cure depression ?

Post by Dontaskme »

Vedanta philosophy will certainly ease the uneasy discomfort of depression via the direct experience of realising the impersonal nature of depression. But there's no permanent cure for depression through the aid of medicine or philosophical inquiry into the nature of self, because ''selfing'' is ultimately an integral part of our human nature. There is simply no cure that is the experience of life as a sentient living organism. Iow's, there's just no cure for being conscious, so to speak.

But knowing we are not our feelings of depression really does help us understand it. In knowing the true nature of self, it is realised and recognised that depression is simply like most other unwanted feelings and sensations in the body, they are not permanent, they can only be temporal visitors, always coming and going according to our moods, and our attitudes to the unavoidable consequences of what is it like to experience a human temperament, and how we choose to deal with that temperament by what we focus our thoughts and feelings upon the most.. But ultimately, in knowing we are never our thoughts and feelings, is likened to a cure, for sure.

The simple realisation and recongintion that there is no cure for life and what it means and feels like to be a conscious alive sentient creature, is the CURE.

And yes, that statement for sure, does sound like an oxymoron. Oxymorons may seem illogical at first, but in context they usually make sense.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:53 am But knowing we are not our feelings of depression really does help us understand it. In knowing the true nature of self, it is realised and recognised that depression is simply like most other unwanted feelings and sensations in the body, they are not permanent, they can only be temporal visitors, always coming and going according to our moods, and our attitudes to the unavoidable consequences of what is it like to experience a human temperament, and how we choose to deal with that temperament by what we focus our thoughts and feelings upon the most.. But ultimately, in knowing we are never our thoughts and feelings, is likened to a cure, for sure.
What you point out above is very helpful to remember!

Thoughts really do have the power to keep us prisoner... or set us free. And we human beings are easily consumed by things.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:55 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:53 am But knowing we are not our feelings of depression really does help us understand it. In knowing the true nature of self, it is realised and recognised that depression is simply like most other unwanted feelings and sensations in the body, they are not permanent, they can only be temporal visitors, always coming and going according to our moods, and our attitudes to the unavoidable consequences of what is it like to experience a human temperament, and how we choose to deal with that temperament by what we focus our thoughts and feelings upon the most.. But ultimately, in knowing we are never our thoughts and feelings, is likened to a cure, for sure.
What you point out above is very helpful to remember!

Thoughts really do have the power to keep us prisoner... or set us free. And we human beings are easily consumed by things.
Yes, and I also think that depression is a sign that we are intelligent and that we are willing to make that deeper dive into the nature of the human mind. Depression is showing us there is something not quite right with the world as we know it. And that we are aware of this flaw because we are choosing to face the flaw head-on without fear, rather than brushing it under the carpet as if it didn't exist. Even though deep down we know the flaw exists, but we pretend everything is perfect when it clearly isn't. The reason we pretend everything is ok when it isn't is because of the stigma attached to depression, when it is often thought there is something wrong with you that needed fixing if you have depression. But the opposite is true, there is nothing wrong with a depressed person, or any of us for that matter, except to say some of us choose to put on an act and live a pretentious and false life for fear of being seen as weak and inferior, and inadequate, so we act as though we've got life all figured out, when we clearly are clueless, but are too scared to admit our limitations.

When we understand that life is what we are making it, and that it requires much effort in the art of consistency, and commitment, and that it's not as if it is something that is just a guaranteed given, rather, we have to make it happen, and earn it's rewards for ourselves.

What is that truth depression forces us to face? it forces us to be caring and genuine, kind and really honest with one another without the fear of being judged or being made to look inferior or weak, it forces us to recognise that we are all the same humans, just having different experiences, but are the same living organisms needing the air to breathe, and bleeding the same red blood, so how hard is it to be gentle with ourselves and try to enjoy life while we can, since we are alive and so might as well make the most of it, else the alternative is that we make life a self-inflicted living hell.

Sometimes I feel quite optimistic about being alive, and other times, I seriously can't be arsed with it. It's just seems to be a roller coaster of endless ups and downs, but ultimately endured without ever losing control of our mental stabilty or of being overwhelmed by the sheer absurdity of it all.

Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:46 pm Depression is...
It sounds a bit like my boyfriend -- he has struggled with depression from time to time, and I'm learning more about it. For awhile, I couldn't understand why he'd routinely have these 3-day depressions, like clockwork, even though everything would be going fine in our lives. He is a recovered alcoholic from many years ago... so he is traveling his own path of challenges. Now he takes Zoloft, and it has made a huge difference (for both of us). It has taken the edge off for him... he's happier. It took about a week of feeling a little nauseous with the new medication, but his body has adapted now. Honestly, I don't think I could have stayed with him otherwise.
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:46 pm Sometimes I feel quite optimistic about being alive, and other times, I seriously can't be arsed with it. It's just seems to be a roller coaster of endless ups and downs, but ultimately endured without ever losing control of our mental stabilty or of being overwhelmed by the sheer absurdity of it all.
It is definitely a wild ride... with desperate lows and thrilling highs. I know it's temporary... and I'm able to be amused and intrigued by all sorts of things... so I'm in no hurry to leave, but I'll let go without clinging when the time comes.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:09 pm It is definitely a wild ride... with desperate lows and thrilling highs. I know it's temporary... and I'm able to be amused and intrigued by all sorts of things... so I'm in no hurry to leave, but I'll let go without clinging when the time comes.
:D

For me, my life is like watching a movie, it's the movie of I where I get to watch myself in my own movie. I know the movie is temporal and that it began and will have an ending like all movies do.

However much I sometimes feel like walking out of the movie half way through, I always change my mind and want to stay until the end, just to see the how the end of the movie plays out. I cannot resist wanting to know the ending, and so stay, knowing it will end eventually, so might as well hang around till the end in case I miss out on some really thrilling juicy bits. :wink: :D