The Objective Realm

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Iwannaplato

Re: The Objective Realm

Post by Iwannaplato »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:37 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:36 amThe premise was that religious insitutions promote morality. You brought up the specific: marriage.
I criticizes this in two ways: 1) that it was cherry picking and the CAtholic religion, as Harbal remarked more generally, has lots of problems with morality; 2) you are judging success on one criterion, without justifying that that should be the only one.

No response to what I said.
NO...the premise was Harbal's implication "Science does the job better".

How does it do marriage better? Explain it to me.
More than one person can have premises.
Harbal wrote: ↑Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:06 am
Religious morality is too immoral for my liking; we can do better without it.
Considering how you balked on the matter of LGBTQ+ and child/teenage genital mutilation, I disagree.

Catholicism still has a monopoly on successful marriages, 2000 years later. No other religion/system, not Anglican, not Protestant, not Jewish, even comes close.
In response to religious morality being accused of being a problem, you focus on the duration of marriages.

No response to the points I made.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:53 pmSo, those other religious moralities aren't so good.
...because you're getting ahead of the conversation.

How does science "do it better"? I want an answer first, before we move to religion & politics.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:36 am
Sculptor wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:34 amThis is hilarious.

It's like asking can you name one planet in the universe that can make Key Lime Pie better than my auntie Mavis?
Agreed then, Science is not the realm we should look for Objective morality, how to live life, and where to find meaning/purpose, shant we?
FFS
Science is not i the business of marraige.
The Catholic church is in the business of controlling women's wild spirit. If you think that is "successful" then you need to think again.
Have you ever heard of the Reformation?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:47 amFFS
Science is not i the business of marraige.
I agree...

I guess you and I have something in common, for once in a lifetime. I only wonder how Harbal is going to take this contradiction.

Sculptor wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:47 amThe Catholic church is in the business of controlling women's wild spirit. If you think that is "successful" then you need to think again.
Only the Catholic Church??

How many men in existence have tried to keep their girlfriend/wife's libido from escaping to the local tavern, bar, night club, rave, dance party I wonder???

I couldn't imagine marrying a 19-year-old girl, for example. They screw like rabbits. I don't know how the Old World kept them in check, except through extreme discipline and threat, I guess.

Sculptor wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:47 amHave you ever heard of the Reformation?
You mean "Humanity's Biggest Mistake Ever"?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:45 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:53 pmSo, those other religious moralities aren't so good.
...because you're getting ahead of the conversation.
It's not ahead in the conversation. You're happy to go into Catholicism if we focus on the one criterion you have: duration of marriage. But if it has to do with moral problems of Catholicism or the weakness of your criterion...oh, we're talking about science.
How does science "do it better"? I want an answer first, before we move to religion & politics.
You already went to religion.

You've both made assertions and, of course, you can try to make Harbal back up his. But you've made assertions and you've already gone into the religion issue, not just with him, but in general and then with me.

Obviously I can't make you back up your assertions, but this waiting for the science issue to be dealt with is just excuse making.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:55 am I only wonder how Harbal is going to take this contradiction.
He will consider it with the seriousness it deserves. 🤡
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

I'll cut to the chase then.

Science can examine the past, History. Science can examine the present, Physics. Science can examine the future, Probability, Statistics, Math.

But what Science cannot do...is make the Decision of your life for you. Hence, when it comes to the most intimate and important aspects of life—sex, marriage, children, individual humans must make their own Choices. To Decide, is not the realm of Science, and so Religion steps-in to assume Authority, for better or worse, for good or evil. These are The choices. You may choose wrongly. You may choose rightly.

This is why Science has no answers and no authority, in matters of 'objective' morality.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Furthermore, it is in the name of "Trust the Science", that you among the Liberal-Left justify your recent cultural marxist push, to persuade, convince, and pollute the minds of Western youth, to genitally castrate themselves, and LARP as the opposite genders.

You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

But I admit, that's my Subjective bias at work. NOT Objective.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:28 pm I'll cut to the chase then.

Science can examine the past, History. Science can examine the present, Physics. Science can examine the future, Probability, Statistics, Math.
Science can’t do any of those things.

That’s just a dumb anthropomorphism.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:28 pm To Decide, is not the realm of Science, and so Religion steps-in to assume Authority, for better or worse, for good or evil. These are The choices.
We don't have to choose between religion and science to make our decisions. It's a false dilemma.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:31 pmScience can’t do any of those things.

smh...
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:31 pmWe don't have to choose between religion and science to make our decisions. It's a false dilemma.
Yeah, we kind of do, Iwanna...

Because the majority humans in the world, don't want to think and contemplate for 50 years about the course of actions of life, unlike Philosophers who enjoy to do so. Thus the masses find their wisdom in their Churches, Elders, their Kin and ancestors who came before them.

Nothing to do with the 'Science' Harbal presumed.

And yet, people still associate Objectivity to the Church and God, and why not???

Why not let Wisdom lead the way, when the youth are ignorant about how...and why to live their lives?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:35 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:31 pmScience can’t do any of those things.

smh...
Shake it all you like. It won’t make you less dumb
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:37 pm Yeah, we kind of do, Iwanna...
Well, not me. I'm not in that we. And I don't think other people have to either. That they will, that's another story. They may think they have to. But they kinda don't have to. And there's no need to encourage them or us to think we have to.
Because the majority humans in the world, don't want to think and contemplate for 50 years about the course of actions of life, unlike Philosophers who enjoy to do so. Thus the masses find their wisdom in their Churches, Elders, their Kin and ancestors who came before them.
I am not suggesting philosophy either. Generally one needs some reasoning in there, along with whatever values, desires, goals you have.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:31 am
Harbal wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:26 amAfter all, science does the job so much better.
Sculptor wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:18 pmObjectively:....
commonsense wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:09 pmEt al.
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:53 pmTalk about confirmation bias.
Listen, my precious detractors...

Can any of you present one...just one "scientific institution" that produces more successful marriages than the Catholic Church?

Poindexter now pronounces you...Husband and Husband, you may now kiss your dog and cat???
But I am still curious what your response is to the content of my post.