Free will is wholly deterministic

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Free will is wholly deterministic

Post by Skepdick »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:18 pm Yes, this is a confusion that sends to happen a lot in these conversations. It's similar to the idea that "if determinism is true then no one can change their minds" - that's not a consequence of determinism, change happens all the time in determinism. Hell, determinism is ABOUT change.
The kind of change you are talking about is change over time. Changing your mind based on new information a.k.a learning/adaptation.

Determinism isn't about that kind of change. It's about the hypothetical scenario where a hypothetical omnipotent God rewinds the universe's clock and makes you re-live the moment again. And again. And again. And again. Ad infinitum.

Will God observe the exact same outcome an infinite number of times; or will God observe you making a different choice every time the clocks gets rewinded?

Of course, nobody can know the answer to this because nobody can setup the experiment.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:30 pm Again: I disagree. How can a free man (one who chooses to self-direct, self-rely, and be self-responsible) be anything other than a free will? How can a free will not be able to self-direct, self-rely, and be self-responsible?
Because free will and determinism are ontological positions, having to do with the basics of cause and effect.
the example of someone holding a gun to you and telling you to do something is confused
It's not my example.
Peachy.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:18 pm Yes, this is a confusion that sends to happen a lot in these conversations. It's similar to the idea that "if determinism is true then no one can change their minds" - that's not a consequence of determinism, change happens all the time in determinism. Hell, determinism is ABOUT change.
And I find a pall of hopelessness has been draped over the coffin of the discussion.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Walker wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:19 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:57 pm
That's an assumption, not a truth. In practice, we all act as if it isn't true, and nobody lives as a Determinist. So the burden's on the Determinist to show why we're all crazy, and that Determinism, not our decisions, make everything happen. However, if he succeeds, he fails: for he would then have made us "change our minds," which we cannot do, if we are Determined.

So again, the whole idea of that falls apart right away.
One makes decisions because one must. One thinks, because one must. One edits and changes formatting because one must. It's the nature of the beast.
That's purely assumptive from the Determinist side. If one is not a Determinist, or is even prepared to question Determinism, that confidence falls apart immediately, because although Determinism cannot quite be disproved, it can never, ever be demonstrated either. This makes it a completely gratuitious and unscientific hypothesis...at best.

But the situation for Determinism gets one step worse, even than that: for the fact that no human being ever succeeds in living as if Determinism were true creates at least a first-glance doubt about the possibility of Determinism being true, if not a significant sociological argument against it, as well. And against these objections, Determinism, being unprovable, is powerless.

That is, for anybody who's willing to doubt Determinism. For those who are not, there is no cure.
The compulsion of morality is commonly called, conscience.
However, conscience doesn't "compel." It only pleads. Our sociological experience of that is that we can choose to listen to conscience or violate it...as often as we wish, in fact. Very few phenomena are so commonly reported as that a human being felt the twinges of conscience about something, and then decided to do it anyway.

So conscience is obviously not Deterministic. If there is any Determinism involved, it would have to come purely from what has been called "antecedent conditions," meaning the physical-material arrangements of brain and body chemistry, not from the pronouncements of some ghostly urging known as "conscience."
I do know people for whom, I think, that is the chief attraction of Determinism. For example, I know one wife, now married to a dear friend, whose misspent youth has been reshaped by her into a story of "I couldn't help it, because Determinism." But I think such rationalizations are pretty evidently not rational. They're emotional.

Even though her need is to rationalize the past, she is still responsible for her actions, even though her need may not be consistent with an abstraction call Determinism.
No, that's not so.

Even in a human court, if a person simply had no other choice than to do what he/she did, there is no criminal possibility involved. The woman I know seems quite aware of this: and that's what she seems to find attractive in Determinism. If she could not help doing what she did, if there was no "otherwise" than there was, in fact, then she's off the hook. She can't be made responsibility for something she didn't choose to do, but "antecedent conditions" made it impossible not to happen.
Insanity, childhood, and ignorance are mitigating factors in the punishment of wrong doing and in the decision of what to do with the miscreant, however these factors, or mitigating circumstances, do not absolve responsibility for the doing.
Actually, yes, they do. They do so entirely. If you were insane, incapable of understanding, or completely unaware of what you were doing, then you don't only not go to jail; you don't even get charged. The insane go to a care facility, the incapable are put under the supervision of parents, and the completely unaware are let walk free. But none of them go to jail...and with good reason: it would be a gross injustice to blame somebody who had absolutely no volition in the matter...which is what Determinism requires us to think is true of every action that has ever taken place.

One cannot have any "responsibility" when one had no "response ability." :wink: The woman would need at least the CHANCE to respond differently than she did, before anybody -- from a court to her husband -- could justly say, "She's responsible for it."

Determinism acknowledges no chances at all.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:28 pm
And I find a pall of hopelessness has been draped over the coffin of the discussion.
In dialogues dance we sought to share our minds
But tangled words, like vines, did swiftly grow
Misunderstandings, barriers unkind
Our vibrant discourse drowned in the undertow.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:26 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:30 pm Again: I disagree. How can a free man (one who chooses to self-direct, self-rely, and be self-responsible) be anything other than a free will? How can a free will not be able to self-direct, self-rely, and be self-responsible?
Because free will and determinism are ontological positions, having to do with the basics of cause and effect.
I don't get it.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:32 pm In dialogues dance we sought to share our minds
But tangled words, like vines, did swiftly grow
Misunderstandings, barriers unkind
Our vibrant discourse drowned in the undertow.
Incompatibilism being taken to mean people not getting along, rather than a position in ontology.
But there's certainly a lot of the former.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:28 pm
You're amphibolizing the word "change," and that's why you're perplexed. It has two meanings.

It is true that "change" (type 1, let's call it) takes place in a Determinist universe. But it's only the change from one state to another, both states being fixed and predictable. For example, one billiard ball hits another, and thus "changes" its position. That's Determinism.

But if by "change" you mean more than that, such as "change between alternatives," then such a thing cannot happen, according to Determinism. There was only one direction of motion for the white billiard ball, and only one direction of motion for the green billiard ball, and it was inevitable that when the white hit the red, it would go in only one direction, and end up in the side pocket. But it was impossible -- totally impossible -- for the white billiard ball, moving in the way it did, to hit the green ball and put it in the corner pocket. For there was no "billiards player" behind the stick, nobody to "change his mind" or "change the possibility" (type 2) and decide that the green ball should go in the corner pocket.

That's what Determinists have to believe. There was one white ball, moving in the direction it was fated to go, hitting one green ball, only at the angle it was fated to hit it, and there was only one outcome: the side pocket. No accidents, changes-of-direction or alternative endings were ever possible. Any thought of such is merely an illusion we foolish humans think we experience; but we're just wrong.

That's Determinism.

So change-of-state (type 1) happens all the time. But change-of-possibility (type2) never ever can...according to Determinism.

The hopelessness is occasioned by people not being able to utterly disprove an utterly unprovable theory, but one that is strongly counterintuitive and utterly impractical.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:30 pm If you were insane, incapable of understanding, or completely unaware of what you were doing, then you don't only not go to jail; you don't even get charged. The insane go to a care facility, the incapable are put under the supervision of parents, and the completely unaware are let walk free.
Those are options for what to do with such folks. Jail is not only way to deal with those who won't or can't toe the line.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:36 pm I don't get it.
Free will means that one can choose to do something not only freely in the face of external forces - the gun, societal rules and the like - but also freely in relation to one's own wants, desires, goals, and so on. In the next second you will choose to do something utterly uncaused by either your own temperment and desires and goals AND not caused by external factors.

There would be some limits, for most free will believers on being free from the effect of having a house collapse on you. But within the parameters of what is physically possible for you to do, you're choice is not caused by what has gone before.

So, you in a room with someone could choose to do a variety of things, utterly unaffected by your own nature, desires, goals and so on.

I'm not even sure why free will is appealing.

There is no cause effect relationship between who you are and what you do. You can ignore, sort of, your very nature, for reasons...well, there's the rub.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:30 pm
Even in a human court, if a person simply had no other choice than to do what he/she did, there is no criminal possibility involved.
To be responsible for all of one's actions does not require that those actions be criminal.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:41 pm
The hopelessness is occasioned by people not being able to utterly disprove an utterly unprovable theory, but one that is strongly counterintuitive and utterly impractical.
Excuse me, my hopelessness has to do with people finally after years suddenly realizing they haven't understood the different between two terms, as they are generally used in philosophy. Not hopelessness about life. Not hopelessness that people will agree or disagree with me. But that they can come through their use of terms and understand how someone else might be using them and how this relates to a conflation of the philosophical meaning of free will vs. determinism.

And that sentence was expressive and meant as wry, not a position. I do believe that someone might change their mind on the word use issue. I just think it's rare and since of have seen the same players not get this before, sure, I felt a pall.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:41 pm You're amphibolizing the word "change," and that's why you're perplexed. It has two meanings.
And by the way, I'm sure FJ, who actually wrote most of what you responded to, understands the difference. I'm not sure others do.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:30 pm However, conscience doesn't "compel." It only pleads.
Conscience compels action for those who do as conscience dictates.

Not everyone listens to their conscience, so their compulsion is to ignore what they have been taught, and know, is right action.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:30 pm However, conscience doesn't "compel." It only pleads. Our sociological experience of that is that we can choose to listen to conscience or violate it...as often as we wish, in fact. Very few phenomena are so commonly reported as that a human being felt the twinges of conscience about something, and then decided to do it anyway.

So conscience is obviously not Deterministic. If there is any Determinism involved, it would have to come purely from what has been called "antecedent conditions," meaning the physical-material arrangements of brain and body chemistry, not from the pronouncements of some ghostly urging known as "conscience."
So what does lead to the choice to do A and not B, if anything does? I doubt any determinist would argue that conscience alone compels, but would assert it can be one of many causes. What leads you to choose A and not B?