Sociobiology of Morality

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Re: Sociobiology of Morality

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Peter Holmes wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:37 pm Elsewhere, VA has posted yet again, this time on the 'sociobiology of morality'.

But VA makes the same mistake every time.
To show why humans may think some actions are morally right or wrong is not to show that some actions are morally right or wrong.

Non-moral premises can't entail moral conclusions.
Strawman again.

How many times do I need to repeat, morality proper is not about right or wrong; these terms are too loose.

The 'sociobiology of morality' referenced to physical matter of biological facts, such a neurons, neural correlates, genes, DNA and quarks that are related to moral matters.
When these [scientific-biological facts] are subsumed within the moral FSK, they are moral facts.

On the other hand what you defined as "fact" is based on abstractions, thus noumenal, illusory, empty, meaningless and nonsensical.
You don't have grounds to refute my version of 'Morality is Objective' which in this case the "Sociobiology of Morality" subsuming scientific biological facts into a moral FSK enable the emergence of moral facts which are objective.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:28 am
Your above is the very typical metathesiophobia; the fear of change.
Idiots being placed in positions of influence is what I fear.
Veritas Aequitas

Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:37 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:28 am
Your above is the very typical metathesiophobia; the fear of change.
Idiots being placed in positions of influence is what I fear.
You are transposing what is present into the future, that is the rigidity of your thinking due to an inherent defense mechanism. You seem to be in a shivering and cowering state within a tall dark silo of knowledge.

Note in the future the various Quotients, i.e. IQ, Moral Quotient, Wisdom Quotient, and other relevant Quotients will be increased sufficiently to enable a greater push for quantum jumps in the above quotients.
Note the recent trend of exponential expansion of AI which will definitely pull the average IQ of humans throughout the world.

In the future, we will not have terrible dictators taking advantage of an ignorant majority [including you] like it is now.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:43 am You seem to be in a shivering and cowering state within a tall dark silo of knowledge.
:|
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:56 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:43 am You seem to be in a shivering and cowering state within a tall dark silo of knowledge.
An online AI created this image based on his description of you. I am so sorry
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:16 am
Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:56 am
An online AI created this image based on his description of you. I am so sorry

That AI is getting too damned smart for my liking. :?
Veritas Aequitas

CIN's Arrogance Based on Ignorance

CIN wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:43 am Some theories (like mine) start from the idea that there are values embedded in nature; some from the idea that values come from God; some from the idea that values are intuited; VA's theory, which seems to me eccentric, is based on the idea that values come from human biology.
Here is to highlight your arrogance based on ignorance.

If values are embedded in nature how do you prove and justify that is objective.

Since ChatGpt has a thorough coverage of what is going within the discussion of Morality, here its findings [up to Sept 2019];

ChatGPT [with reservations]
The Biological and Evolutionary Psychology approach to morality and ethics is not considered strange or eccentric within the academic landscape.
It is a legitimate and well-respected perspective that seeks to understand the origins of moral behavior and ethical principles in the context of human evolution and biology. While it's not the only approach to understanding morality, it has gained significant traction and contributes valuable insights to the broader discussion on moral theories.

Here are a few popular references and books that delve into the Biological and Evolutionary Psychology approach to morality and ethics:

"The Moral Animal: Why We Are the Way We Are: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology" by Robert Wright
This book explores how evolutionary psychology can shed light on human behavior, including moral and ethical behaviors. It discusses how natural selection has shaped our moral instincts and behaviors.

"The Origins of Virtue: Human Instincts and the Evolution of Cooperation" by Matt Ridley
Matt Ridley examines the evolutionary origins of cooperation, trust, and moral virtues. He explores how these behaviors have contributed to human success and societal development.

"The Social Conquest of Earth" by Edward O. Wilson
Although not solely focused on morality, Edward O. Wilson's book discusses the evolutionary origins of social behavior and the emergence of complex societies. This is relevant to understanding the underpinnings of moral systems.

"Just Babies: The Origins of Good and Evil" by Paul Bloom
Paul Bloom's book explores the development of moral sense in infants and young children. While not exclusively focused on evolutionary psychology, it touches on how evolutionary processes might influence our moral intuitions.

"The Altruism Equation: Seven Scientists Search for the Origins of Goodness" by Lee Alan Dugatkin
This book examines the concept of altruism from an evolutionary perspective. It discusses how cooperative behaviors and prosocial tendencies have evolved and contributed to human societies.

"Evolution and Ethics: Human Morality in Biological and Religious Perspective" edited by Philip Clayton and Jeffrey Schloss
This edited volume brings together various scholars to explore the intersection of evolution, ethics, and morality. It covers a range of topics, from philosophical reflections to scientific analyses.

"The Science of Good and Evil: Why People Cheat, Gossip, Care, Share, and Follow the Golden Rule" by Michael Shermer
Michael Shermer delves into the evolutionary origins of moral behaviors and ethical principles. He discusses how these behaviors can be understood within a naturalistic framework.

These references provide a starting point for exploring the Biological and Evolutionary Psychology approach to morality and ethics.
They reflect the acknowledgment that understanding human moral behavior requires insights from multiple disciplines, including psychology, biology, anthropology, and philosophy.