Philosophical Realism's Mind-Independence is Absurd

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Iwannaplato

Re: Philosophical Realism's Mind-Independence is Absurd

Post by Iwannaplato »

Darkneos wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:24 pm It’s just frustrating to read something and not get it and also not be sure if it affects your life in any major way or how you deal with people.
I'm not sure how physics would lead me to treat people differently. I certainly have trouble understanding many parts of QM and often I can only understand it for a while, then I lose it. Or think I understand those parts and then I lose it. There are philosophical works I've taken a stab at a number of times, and often I get small pieces, but don't really grok the whole thing.
That’s sort of been my history with philosophy, for some reason it just doesn’t penetrate and I feel like I’m missing some massive world secret or doing something wrong and not knowing it.
I think there are other ways to about life. I sometimes wonder how useful philosophy is.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:17 pm
Darkneos wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:24 pm It’s just frustrating to read something and not get it and also not be sure if it affects your life in any major way or how you deal with people.
I'm not sure how physics would lead me to treat people differently. I certainly have trouble understanding many parts of QM and often I can only understand it for a while, then I lose it. Or think I understand those parts and then I lose it. There are philosophical works I've taken a stab at a number of times, and often I get small pieces, but don't really grok the whole thing.
That’s sort of been my history with philosophy, for some reason it just doesn’t penetrate and I feel like I’m missing some massive world secret or doing something wrong and not knowing it.
I think there are other ways to about life. I sometimes wonder how useful philosophy is.
I should have clarified that I just meant in a general sense as a lot of stuff like philosophy tends to go over my head and the same with QM. I looked up everything Atla mentioned and I couldn't understand a lick of it. Like I read the words but it didn't register at all.

I wish I could just go about life, but I have this "trait" where once I read something it tends to get logged in as being right and trying to let it go is a herculean effort that ends in failure. Like I just believe what people are saying is true and my efforts to argue against it are wrong.

I know it's to do with my processing, how my brain works, and I've had to deal with it all my life. I guess that's being on the spectrum for you.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Darkneos wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:44 pm I know it's to do with my processing, how my brain works, and I've had to deal with it all my life. I guess that's being on the spectrum for you.
Then that seems like the place to focus: your processing. I mean, perhaps you do that and read things that end up scaring and disturbing you despite your not quite understanding them. There's neuroplasticity which is possible even after traumatic brain injury. Only more so when there isn't damage. Of course, the motivation is high - for example after a stroke - to retrain the brain. But then focusing on your processing might lead to the necessary degree of motivation. There's even some evidence that people on the spectrum have more neuroplasticity. So, the trick would be to figure out as clearly as possible what your processing is like and then to figure out ways to train new patterns.

But you might want to consider not feeding your processing with things that upset you.

That's all real abstract. There's neurofeedback, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) and there are likely other approaches. I've had medical issues treated by alternative practitioners with great success. Of course you have to find the right ones, which is not necessarily easy. And you have to find the right ones for you. A perfectly professional alternative treatment doesn't work on everyone, even if it has a high success rate.

But, my gut reaction is that diving deeper into qm and philosophy is not going to shift the root issues.

But hey, that's unasked for advice.

I hope you can find a way to ease the troubles with this pattern.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:30 pm
Darkneos wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:44 pm I know it's to do with my processing, how my brain works, and I've had to deal with it all my life. I guess that's being on the spectrum for you.
Then that seems like the place to focus: your processing. I mean, perhaps you do that and read things that end up scaring and disturbing you despite your not quite understanding them. There's neuroplasticity which is possible even after traumatic brain injury. Only more so when there isn't damage. Of course, the motivation is high - for example after a stroke - to retrain the brain. But then focusing on your processing might lead to the necessary degree of motivation. There's even some evidence that people on the spectrum have more neuroplasticity. So, the trick would be to figure out as clearly as possible what your processing is like and then to figure out ways to train new patterns.

But you might want to consider not feeding your processing with things that upset you.

That's all real abstract. There's neurofeedback, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) and there are likely other approaches. I've had medical issues treated by alternative practitioners with great success. Of course you have to find the right ones, which is not necessarily easy. And you have to find the right ones for you. A perfectly professional alternative treatment doesn't work on everyone, even if it has a high success rate.

But, my gut reaction is that diving deeper into qm and philosophy is not going to shift the root issues.

But hey, that's unasked for advice.

I hope you can find a way to ease the troubles with this pattern.
It’s hard because I’m not sure how. I used to be on medication that helped a lot but I stopped it because my ego thought I could brute force it. Now I’m seeing what a colossal idiot I was.

It’s also hard to not read stuff that trigger me because it seems like every thing does and I can’t escape it. Not even sleep gives me respite. I find it hard to let things go because to me it’s living in ignorance, which explains why I’ve been carrying stuff from 10 years ago today.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Darkneos wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:44 pm I know it's to do with my processing, how my brain works
I wonder if using the EMDR technique on yourself, and/or using hemi-sinc audio brainwave entrainment on yourself, could help.

For the EMDR you just need a pen or something, and for the audio you just need headphones.

Imo these two techniques specifically attempt to help synchronize the two hemispheres. To me, people on the spectrum seem to have bad connectivity between them. They seem to have problems with unifying the more boolean, literal thinking of the left hemisphere and the more meaning-based, fuzzy thinking of the right hemisphere. Then they are usually forced to over-use the left fragment.

But take this with a bucket of salt, I haven't really looked into the neuroscience of autism.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Atla wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:52 am hemi-sinc audio brainwave entrainment
like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwYXNiZKlHo
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

Atla wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:05 am
Atla wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:52 am hemi-sinc audio brainwave entrainment
like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwYXNiZKlHo
I felt a little different after it but I'm not entirely sure. I thought that part about brain regions being different thinking types was pseudoscience though...