Virtue Ethics Independent from Morality Proper

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Virtue Ethics Independent from Morality Proper

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

When I mentioned Virtue Ethics should be independent from Morality proper, that had sent many into a frenzy and they returned with all sort of nonsensical attacks.

There are many Morality and Ethics that include virtues as a critical element of their morality and ethics. However, this will only generate inefficiencies in promoting to the purposes of morality-proper.

My views on Morality and Ethics are based on Kantian Morality & Ethics.
I claim the Kant's Morality is in alignment with Morality-proper.

Virtue Ethics is not a critical part of Kantian Morality & Ethics.

Here is one clue to the point;

Robert N. Johnson
Was Kant a Virtue Ethicist?
in
Kant’s Ethics of Virtue
Edited by Monika Betzler

argues that Kant is not a Virtue Ethicist
  • You might think a simple “No” would suffice as an answer.
    But there are features of Kant’s Ethics that appear to be strikingly similar to virtue oriented views, so striking that some Kantians themselves have argued that Kant’s Ethics in fact shares these features with Virtue Ethics.
    In what follows, I will argue against this view, though along the way I will acknowledge the features of Kant’s view that make it appear more like a kind of Virtue Ethics than it really is.
Note I am not going to discuss the details of the argument why Kant is not a Virtue Ethicist, but merely to show to the ignorant such a thesis exists.

Views?
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Virtue Ethics Independent from Morality Proper

Q: Was Kant a Virtue Ethicist?

ChatGPT [with reservations]
No, Immanuel Kant was not a virtue ethicist. He is known as one of the most influential philosophers in the history of Western philosophy and is often associated with deontological ethics, specifically his theory of ethics known as "deontological ethics" or "duty ethics."

In Kant's moral philosophy, which he presented in his work "Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals" and "Critique of Practical Reason," he argued that the morality of an action depends on its adherence to a categorical imperative, a universal moral law that is applicable to all rational beings. According to Kant, the rightness or wrongness of an action is determined by the intention behind it and whether the action can be consistently willed as a universal law without contradiction.

In contrast, virtue ethics, associated with philosophers like Aristotle, focuses on the character of the agent rather than specific rules or duties. Virtue ethicists believe that cultivating virtuous character traits is central to living a morally good life, and the rightness of an action is often judged by whether it exemplifies virtuous qualities.

Kant's moral philosophy is more concerned with the nature of moral duty and the principles that guide ethical decision-making, rather than focusing on virtues and character development. So, while both virtue ethics and Kantian ethics are significant ethical theories, Kant cannot be considered a virtue ethicist.
.............. END ...........

Notes:
"He [Kant] is known as one of the most influential philosophers in the history of Western philosophy .."
As such, Kant's view of Morality & Ethics has substance and credibility in contrast to many others.
For one to agree or disagree with Kant on Morality and Ethics it is only proper that one need to understand [not necessary agree with] Kant theories on Morality & Ethics.
Unfortunately most who commented on Kant moral views do bother to understand [not necessary agree with] Kant theories but rather comment based on secondary sources and hearsays.
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Veritas Aequitas

Notes: KIV
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Yeah, if Kant wasn't a virtue ethicist, then Virtue Ethics isn't part of morality proper.
It's like Kant is the Bible.
(pardon my frenzy)