Buried Memories

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Buried Memories

Post by Age »

Maia wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:14 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:06 am
Maia wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:42 am

I've been completely blind since birth.

I have very good spatial awareness through echolocation. If I click my tongue a few times I can work out the size and shape of the room, or space, I'm in. Or if I'm walking, I can tell if there's something in front of me, its size and shape, if it's stationary, if it's a person, and so on. There are lots of other cues too, of course, and it's very easy to tell if I'm outdoors or indoors, for example.

I assume that this has somehow influenced my dislike of enclosed spaces, but not really in any way that I can pin down, never having experienced anything else. As a general rule, the bigger the space I'm in, the better, and outdoors is best of all. Interestingly, though, a tent is fine, even if it's really small, because it's not solid.
Yes. There are cases of people who are blind as far as eyes go but for all intents and purposes can see. They've found a way around it. I remember seeing a documentary about a boy with no eyes who could see using sound. He rode everywhere on his bike. Seems unbelievable but humans are endlessly adaptable.
Yes, absolutely. I don't feel disadvantaged in any way, I just do a few things differently.
It could also be said or argued that 'an advantage', if there is any, about being 'visually blind' is that 'that one' does NOT get to 'visually see' the UGLINESS that adult human beings are doing to 'life', earth, "themselves", AND children. Although 'they' can OBVIOUSLY 'sense', 'see', AND 'understand' 'the UGLINESS' JUST AS WELL.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Age wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:03 am

Yes. There are cases of people who are blind as far as eyes go but for all intents and purposes can see. They've found a way around it. I remember seeing a documentary about a boy with no eyes who could see using sound. He rode everywhere on his bike. Seems unbelievable but humans are endlessly adaptable.
Yes, absolutely. I don't feel disadvantaged in any way, I just do a few things differently.
One reason I HATE the word 'disabled' in relation to 'you', human beings, is that NO one is ACTUALLY 'dis-abled'. 'you' ARE ALL 'able'.

AND, 'you' are ALL ABLE to DO DIFFERENT 'things'. SO, I would MUCH PREFER human beings LOOKED AT "each other" from "each other's" perspective, (in slang talk), 'dis is my ability', RATHER than LOOKING AT, "another's" 'disability'.

Or, from another perspective, if the majority of human beings had six fingers on each hand and/or three legs, then would 'you' two legged, five finger human beings BE 'disabled'? Or, would 'you' want to even be LOOKED AT and CLASSED as 'disabled'?

If ANY one SAYS, 'Yes', then are 'you' ABSOLUTELY SURE?

The way the 'human created world' is created, works, and functions is BECAUSE of the way the majority of human bodies work and function and BECAUSE of what way and shape they are in. So, if ANY body is NOT in the way, shape, look, NOR form of the majority of human bodies, then this, in NO WAY, means NOR even infers that those bodies ARE 'disabled'. They are just living in the 'human created world' where 'they' were NOT thought about, NEGLECTED, or IGNORED.

Now, as for 'seeing', this word ALSO can MEAN and REFER TO 'understanding', itself, as in, for example, when some 'thing' is being EXPLAINED to "another" and the question, 'Do you 'see' what I mean?' is then asked.

Not having ANY visual sight, or less sight than other bodies have, in NO WAY means that 'that one' is LESS ABLE to 'see' and 'understand' 'Life', living, and the Universe, in which we have ALL FOUND "ourselves" WITHIN.
I don't like the word disabled and never use it when referring to myself. I just don't think of myself in that way.

Having said that, I'll use it if it's appropriate. I work with the elderly, and a lot of them have become disabled, in various ways, and to various degrees, as a result of age. In that context, it's just a normal word and has no other connotations.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Age wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:07 am

It could also be said or argued that 'an advantage', if there is any, about being 'visually blind' is that 'that one' does NOT get to 'visually see' the UGLINESS that adult human beings are doing to 'life', earth, "themselves", AND children. Although 'they' can OBVIOUSLY 'sense', 'see', AND 'understand' 'the UGLINESS' JUST AS WELL.
Yes, no doubt.

I'm perfectly happy the way I am and that includes being blind.

Post by Age »

Maia wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:37 am

One reason I HATE the word 'disabled' in relation to 'you', human beings, is that NO one is ACTUALLY 'dis-abled'. 'you' ARE ALL 'able'.

AND, 'you' are ALL ABLE to DO DIFFERENT 'things'. SO, I would MUCH PREFER human beings LOOKED AT "each other" from "each other's" perspective, (in slang talk), 'dis is my ability', RATHER than LOOKING AT, "another's" 'disability'.

Or, from another perspective, if the majority of human beings had six fingers on each hand and/or three legs, then would 'you' two legged, five finger human beings BE 'disabled'? Or, would 'you' want to even be LOOKED AT and CLASSED as 'disabled'?

The way the 'human created world' is created, works, and functions is BECAUSE of the way the majority of human bodies work and function and BECAUSE of what way and shape they are in. So, if ANY body is NOT in the way, shape, look, NOR form of the majority of human bodies, then this, in NO WAY, means NOR even infers that those bodies ARE 'disabled'. They are just living in the 'human created world' where 'they' were NOT thought about, NEGLECTED, or IGNORED.

Now, as for 'seeing', this word ALSO can MEAN and REFER TO 'understanding', itself, as in, for example, when some 'thing' is being EXPLAINED to "another" and the question, 'Do you 'see' what I mean?' is then asked.

Not having ANY visual sight, or less sight than other bodies have, in NO WAY means that 'that one' is LESS ABLE to 'see' and 'understand' 'Life', living, and the Universe, in which we have ALL FOUND "ourselves" WITHIN.
I don't like the word disabled and never use it when referring to myself. I just don't think of myself in that way.

Having said that, I'll use it if it's appropriate. I work with the elderly, and a lot of them have become disabled, in various ways, and to various degrees, as a result of age. In that context, it's just a normal word and has no other connotations.
I would STILL NEVER SEE NOR USE the word 'disabled',

I STILL LOOK AT and SEE what they ARE CAPABLE OF, or ABLE TO DO, rather than what they are NOT able to do as being 'DISABLED'. If I was, then I would also have to LOOK AT and SEE HOW EVERY human being IS DISABLED.

Post by Age »

Maia wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:43 am
Age wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:07 am

Yes, no doubt.

I'm perfectly happy the way I am and that includes being blind.
The Mind's Eye, which can NEVER NOT SEE, and thus is ALWAYS OPEN to LOOK AT and SEE absolutely EVERY 'thing', SEES, and UNDERSTANDS, FAR MORE than ANY and even ALL 'visual seeing eyes' can see ANYWAY.

The 'sixth sense', that is; the Mind, UNDERSTANDS and KNOWS, Truly, FAR MORE than ALL of the other five senses even when put together could ever understand, and know.

In fact the other five senses can and do sometimes only DISTORT, TWIST, PREVENT, and/or BLOCK the ACTUAL Truth from being SEEN, UNDERSTOOD, and KNOWN.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Age wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:08 am
Maia wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:37 am

I would STILL NEVER SEE NOR USE the word 'disabled',

I STILL LOOK AT and SEE what they ARE CAPABLE OF, or ABLE TO DO, rather than what they are NOT able to do as being 'DISABLED'. If I was, then I would also have to LOOK AT and SEE HOW EVERY human being IS DISABLED.
In practical terms it can be useful, though. If I know that a particular client has mobility issues, or is losing their sight, or whatever it might be, then I'll be able to help them better.

I do agree, of course, that it's always best to focus on the positive.