Hi. My name is Clinton Borror

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Clinton

Hi. My name is Clinton Borror

Post by Clinton »

I am a 37 year old man who lives in Missouri, in the United States. I greatly enjoy blunt discussions about controversial topics of all kinds, although I enjoy more polite discussions as well. Philosophy is my favorite competitive sport. I understand that it's not anything competitive to everyone, but I like attempting to "win" discussions and outsmart people, and I like discussions best when other people are trying to outsmart me. I've tried to hone my worldview into something that is as unbiased as possible. I think I find that type of attempt at self-improvement fun for the same reason many players of competitive sports find it fun to improve their skills to become better competitors in their games of choice. I like discussions best when everyone's enjoying themselves, which for me involves finding other people who view philosophy as a similarly competitive sport, most often.

I like to learn about new perspectives. I most enjoy thinking and hearing about futuristic thought experiments. I'd say the philosophical areas of thought in which my interests tend to diverge the most away from the majority of society usually have to do with my views on death. I have a great deal of respect for anti-natalists - people who, in some way or another, discourage the creation of new life. I also seem to be far more likely than most people to perceive death as helpful to life.

I have a number of seemingly pretty rare opinions. I think my rarest view that has the most impact on my life is my view that human beings should help one another and engage in humanitarian acts so as to strengthen the bonds of trust holding society together so that civilization is less likely to collapse so that we can develop the technology to spread outwards into the universe, away from Earth, faster, so we can more quickly achieve what I believe to be the most important duty of humanity: dramatically altering unintelligent life all throughout the universe to lead improved existences. I see three possible ways to this. We could tightly control the lives of unintelligent, feeling life we come across, essentially treating such life as our pets. We could genetically engineer such life to lead better lives, perhaps through altering their forms so that pain is not as unpleasant for them. Finally, and most controversially, would be the possible means of "assisting" unintelligent life through destroying most to all of it. I think this third option would likely be the best option, because it would seemingly reduce the most pain and be the fastest.

Another of my noteworthy controversial opinions are my view that the existence of God, as most people perceive that definition, would be best described as impossible unless that God were created by some previous sentient being. I also have a way of viewing individuality as functioning differently than most people do. I think in many contexts, but not all, all feeling life throughout all of time would be best defined as sensory appendages of a single super organism, but that's difficult to explain without a great deal of further explanation.

I'm trying to write a book on many of my ideas. I'm an atheist and a utilitarian.

I detest research. I much prefer talking to people to explore ideas than researching what other historical figures have stated about those ideas. I will do research if I have to, in order to understand a topic I'm discussing with someone else though. I detest research because I can't compete with or win an argument against a book or written document the way I can a physical person.

May I find many worthy adversaries to kick my butt, intellectually, on this website. I love losing arguments more than winning them, because I get to learn things that way. :mrgreen:
Agent Smith

Re: Hi. My name is Clinton Borror

Post by Agent Smith »

Welcome ... to The Land of The Lost aka The Bottomless Pit aka The Belly of The Beast aka not SA.

Post by Age »

Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I am a 37 year old man who lives in Missouri, in the United States. I greatly enjoy blunt discussions about controversial topics of all kinds, although I enjoy more polite discussions as well. Philosophy is my favorite competitive sport. I understand that it's not anything competitive to everyone, but I like attempting to "win" discussions and outsmart people, and I like discussions best when other people are trying to outsmart me. I've tried to hone my worldview into something that is as unbiased as possible. I think I find that type of attempt at self-improvement fun for the same reason many players of competitive sports find it fun to improve their skills to become better competitors in their games of choice. I like discussions best when everyone's enjoying themselves, which for me involves finding other people who view philosophy as a similarly competitive sport, most often.

I like to learn about new perspectives. I most enjoy thinking and hearing about futuristic thought experiments. I'd say the philosophical areas of thought in which my interests tend to diverge the most away from the majority of society usually have to do with my views on death.
What are some or all of your views on 'death'?

And, is 'death' even the right word to be used here?

How do you define the 'death' word?
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I have a great deal of respect for anti-natalists - people who, in some way or another, discourage the creation of new life.
WHY?
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I also seem to be far more likely than most people to perceive death as helpful to life.
HOW, EXACTLY?
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I have a number of seemingly pretty rare opinions. I think my rarest view that has the most impact on my life is my view that human beings should help one another and engage in humanitarian acts so as to strengthen the bonds of trust holding society together so that civilization is less likely to collapse so that we can develop the technology to spread outwards into the universe, away from Earth, faster, so we can more quickly achieve what I believe to be the most important duty of humanity: dramatically altering unintelligent life all throughout the universe to lead improved existences.
BUT you ALSO have a great deal of respect for those who DISCOURAGE the creation of new life, right?

And, as far as I have observed 'you', adult human beings, can be and are, at times, the MOST unintelligent ones in the whole Universe. So, one of the MOST unintelligent ones wanting to 'dramatically altering' the so-labelled 'unintelligent life', all throughout the Universe, to lead improved existences seems VERY CONTRADICTORY as well as just being VERY STUPID too, well to me anyway.
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I see three possible ways to this. We could tightly control the lives of unintelligent, feeling life we come across, essentially treating such life as our pets. We could genetically engineer such life to lead better lives,
What are so-called 'better lives', EXACTLY, and, what are so-called 'improved existences, EXACTLY, as well?
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm perhaps through altering their forms so that pain is not as unpleasant for them.
So, you WANT to make what MAKES 'life', what 'it' IS, and ALTER 'it' to NOT being 'life' like, correct?
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm Finally, and most controversially, would be the possible means of "assisting" unintelligent life through destroying most to all of it.
Well START by DESTROYING 'you', adult human beings, FIRST.

I KNOW the Universe would be MUCH BETTER OF, and the existence of "others" would be GREATLY IMPROVED.
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I think this third option would likely be the best option, because it would seemingly reduce the most pain and be the fastest.
I think what we have here is one who ACTUALLY BELIEVES that 'it' is one of the SMARTEST, or MOST INTELLIGENT, and who could ACTUALLY 'win' here. Which IS even MORE LAUGHABLE than it even sounds.
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm Another of my noteworthy controversial opinions are my view that the existence of God, as most people perceive that definition, would be best described as impossible unless that God were created by some previous sentient being.
1. This is TOTALLY ABSURD and LUDICROUS, BECAUSE of who and what the word 'God' refers to, EXACTLY?

2. What is 'that definition' of the 'God' word, which MOST people perceive?

3. How do you KNOW MOST people perceive 'that definition', (whatever 'that definition' is, EXACTLY)?
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I also have a way of viewing individuality as functioning differently than most people do.
HOW do MOST people view 'individuality'?

HOW do you KNOW what MOST people view 'individuality' as, EXACTLY?

WHAT is your way of viewing 'individuality' as 'functioning differently than MOST people do?

Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I think in many contexts, but not all, all feeling life throughout all of time would be best defined as sensory appendages of a single super organism, but that's difficult to explain without a great deal of further explanation.
But NO explanation is needed here.

Also, the 'Organism' that you speak of here is NOT ACTUALLY 'super'. 'It' is just a DIFFERENT FUNCTIONING Organism.
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I'm trying to write a book on many of my ideas. I'm an atheist and a utilitarian.
Okay, but I suggest instead of 'trying to', you JUST DO.

Was there ANY reason why you TOLD us that you are an "atheist" and an "utilitarian" as well?

Also, what IS a so-called "atheist" and a so-called "utilitarian", EXACTLY?
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I detest research.
Okay.
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I much prefer talking to people to explore ideas than researching what other historical figures have stated about those ideas.
Do you have ANY particular 'ideas' that you like to explore with "others"?
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I will do research if I have to, in order to understand a topic I'm discussing with someone else though.
Okay.
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I detest research because I can't compete with or win an argument against a book or written document the way I can a physical person.
We will have to WAIT, to SEE.
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm May I find many worthy adversaries to kick my butt, intellectually, on this website.
you MAY, BUT, you MAY NOT.

AGAIN, we WILL just have to WAIT, to SEE.
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I love losing arguments more than winning them, because I get to learn things that way. :mrgreen:
I suggest that NO 'wins' NOR 'loses' 'arguments', and that the ONLY 'arguments' worthy of WRITING and SHARING here are 'sound AND valid arguments'.

And, IF you EVER do provide one of 'those arguments', then there is NO one who could REFUTE 'it'. So, would you then feel like a 'winner'?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Hi and welcome to the forum. People here are not polite so to just warn you! :mrgreen:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I am a 37 year old man who lives in Missouri,
Lots of people live in Missouri; it doesn't make you special. :|
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Most Missourians think it makes them special. Clinton is the exception.

That's what makes him special.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

A flurry has something ta do with subzero temps. That's all I know m'lord! I swear ... by the moon and the stars ... er ... I mean the Biblia Sacra. Deus Magnus Est? :lol:
Clinton

Post by Clinton »

Agent Smith wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:21 pm Welcome ... to The Land of The Lost aka The Bottomless Pit aka The Belly of The Beast aka not SA.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:49 am A flurry has something ta do with subzero temps. That's all I know m'lord! I swear ... by the moon and the stars ... er ... I mean the Biblia Sacra. Deus Magnus Est? :lol:
nice ta meetcha
mickthinks wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:47 pm Most Missourians think it makes them special. Clinton is the exception.

Harbal wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:18 pm
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I am a 37 year old man who lives in Missouri,
'sup
bahman wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:26 am Hi and welcome to the forum. People here are not polite so to just warn you! :mrgreen:
Thanks. Yeah, that's fine. This seems better than most places I've been at, at minimum. There doesn't seem to be any bizarre off-topic political propaganda spamming.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Clinton wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:27 pm
Agent Smith wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:21 pm Welcome ... to The Land of The Lost aka The Bottomless Pit aka The Belly of The Beast aka not SA.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:49 am A flurry has something ta do with subzero temps. That's all I know m'lord! I swear ... by the moon and the stars ... er ... I mean the Biblia Sacra. Deus Magnus Est? :lol:
nice ta meetcha
mickthinks wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:47 pm Most Missourians think it makes them special. Clinton is the exception.

'sup
bahman wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:26 am Hi and welcome to the forum. People here are not polite so to just warn you! :mrgreen:
Thanks. Yeah, that's fine. This seems better than most places I've been at, at minimum. There doesn't seem to be any bizarre off-topic political propaganda spamming.
👍
Clinton

Post by Clinton »

Age wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:15 pm
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I am a 37 year old man who lives in Missouri, in the United States. I greatly enjoy blunt discussions about controversial topics of all kinds, although I enjoy more polite discussions as well. Philosophy is my favorite competitive sport. I understand that it's not anything competitive to everyone, but I like attempting to "win" discussions and outsmart people, and I like discussions best when other people are trying to outsmart me. I've tried to hone my worldview into something that is as unbiased as possible. I think I find that type of attempt at self-improvement fun for the same reason many players of competitive sports find it fun to improve their skills to become better competitors in their games of choice. I like discussions best when everyone's enjoying themselves, which for me involves finding other people who view philosophy as a similarly competitive sport, most often.

I like to learn about new perspectives. I most enjoy thinking and hearing about futuristic thought experiments. I'd say the philosophical areas of thought in which my interests tend to diverge the most away from the majority of society usually have to do with my views on death.

Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I have a great deal of respect for anti-natalists - people who, in some way or another, discourage the creation of new life.
WHY?
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I also seem to be far more likely than most people to perceive death as helpful to life.
HOW, EXACTLY?
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I have a number of seemingly pretty rare opinions. I think my rarest view that has the most impact on my life is my view that human beings should help one another and engage in humanitarian acts so as to strengthen the bonds of trust holding society together so that civilization is less likely to collapse so that we can develop the technology to spread outwards into the universe, away from Earth, faster, so we can more quickly achieve what I believe to be the most important duty of humanity: dramatically altering unintelligent life all throughout the universe to lead improved existences.
BUT you ALSO have a great deal of respect for those who DISCOURAGE the creation of new life, right?

And, as far as I have observed 'you', adult human beings, can be and are, at times, the MOST unintelligent ones in the whole Universe. So, one of the MOST unintelligent ones wanting to 'dramatically altering' the so-labelled 'unintelligent life', all throughout the Universe, to lead improved existences seems VERY CONTRADICTORY as well as just being VERY STUPID too, well to me anyway.
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I see three possible ways to this. We could tightly control the lives of unintelligent, feeling life we come across, essentially treating such life as our pets. We could genetically engineer such life to lead better lives,
What are so-called 'better lives', EXACTLY, and, what are so-called 'improved existences, EXACTLY, as well?
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm perhaps through altering their forms so that pain is not as unpleasant for them.
So, you WANT to make what MAKES 'life', what 'it' IS, and ALTER 'it' to NOT being 'life' like, correct?
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm Finally, and most controversially, would be the possible means of "assisting" unintelligent life through destroying most to all of it.

I KNOW the Universe would be MUCH BETTER OF, and the existence of "others" would be GREATLY IMPROVED.
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I think this third option would likely be the best option, because it would seemingly reduce the most pain and be the fastest.
I think what we have here is one who ACTUALLY BELIEVES that 'it' is one of the SMARTEST, or MOST INTELLIGENT, and who could ACTUALLY 'win' here. Which IS even MORE LAUGHABLE than it even sounds.
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm Another of my noteworthy controversial opinions are my view that the existence of God, as most people perceive that definition, would be best described as impossible unless that God were created by some previous sentient being.
1. This is TOTALLY ABSURD and LUDICROUS, BECAUSE of who and what the word 'God' refers to, EXACTLY?

3. How do you KNOW MOST people perceive 'that definition', (whatever 'that definition' is, EXACTLY)?
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I also have a way of viewing individuality as functioning differently than most people do.

WHAT is your way of viewing 'individuality' as 'functioning differently than MOST people do?

Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I think in many contexts, but not all, all feeling life throughout all of time would be best defined as sensory appendages of a single super organism, but that's difficult to explain without a great deal of further explanation.

Also, the 'Organism' that you speak of here is NOT ACTUALLY 'super'. 'It' is just a DIFFERENT FUNCTIONING Organism.
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I'm trying to write a book on many of my ideas. I'm an atheist and a utilitarian.

Was there ANY reason why you TOLD us that you are an "atheist" and an "utilitarian" as well?

Okay.
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I much prefer talking to people to explore ideas than researching what other historical figures have stated about those ideas.
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I will do research if I have to, in order to understand a topic I'm discussing with someone else though.
Okay.
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I detest research because I can't compete with or win an argument against a book or written document the way I can a physical person.
Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm May I find many worthy adversaries to kick my butt, intellectually, on this website.

Clinton wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm I love losing arguments more than winning them, because I get to learn things that way. :mrgreen:
I suggest that NO 'wins' NOR 'loses' 'arguments', and that the ONLY 'arguments' worthy of WRITING and SHARING here are 'sound AND valid arguments'.

And, IF you EVER do provide one of 'those arguments', then there is NO one who could REFUTE 'it'. So, would you then feel like a 'winner'?
*particular Ideas I like to explore: I love futuristic thought experiments, in particular. I'll greatly enjoy anything that uses futuristic potential technologies or powerful aliens to create a thought experiment. For example, here's a question: Your society can build a group of super humans that are smarter, healthier, kinder, harder-working, and have better impulse control than modern humans. They also don't age physically past young adulthood. They're basically better than modern humans in every measurable way. If you build them, though, the resource cost will impoverish all of the rest of humanity for several generations. Also, they'll immediately flee to another universe and never contact their parent race of humanity again, so they can't help us, although they'll live well on their own. Do you build the superhumans?

*I mentioned that I'm an atheist and a utilitarian because I like being in environments where people remember each other and each other's personalities and interests and this way I might stand out a little more, and because I like finding people to disagree with and I might enjoy it if other people might be looking for people to argue about those issues with, who have differing views than myself regarding those issues.

*"Super organism" does not mean that the organism is "super." Calling something a "super organism" is simply a way of describing a collection of organisms that work together, such as a bee hive or ant colony, as a single, greater organism composed of multiple smaller organisms.

*I think the way other people tend to perceive individuality is different from how I perceive individuality in the sense that I tend to perceive all feeling life as more like sensory appendages of the same super organism than most people do. I think I've got evidence for this through seeing how most people perceive morality as working, as well as in other ways. One example was that I made a thought experiment involving someone (like yourself) cloning yourself and uploading their memories into that clone after it's aged to adulthood. Because that clone has your memories, I feel like you could, in some very valid ways, live on through that clone after your original body dies, even if you're both alive at the same time for awhile, talking to each other, and perceiving each other as different people. This is largely because I think, in some valid ways, we live on through all other people. That seems to be a very odd thought process to, I'd guess, at least a slight majority of people. That's one thing that suggests to me that most people don't perceive individuality the way I do. The actual thought experiment was much longer and more detailed. It really doesn't work well without the detail. I submitted it to a philosophy conference awhile back at my community college, and got some positive feedback.

*I would say, based on how people constantly talk about it, God would be best described, most often, as a sort of sentient and singular ruler of the universe.

*I like your comment made in response to my statement about me wanting to destroy all unintelligent life. I could, actually, imagine aliens perceiving us as similar to how I perceive the nonhuman animals I'm calling unintelligent. I don't think destroying us would be morally wrong necessarily, and I might perceive that as actually harmless to us in all relevant ways if it's sudden and painless and we never find out it will happen before it does. I will say, however, that I think intelligent life like humans has more capacity to improve ourselves, or be taught, than unintelligent life that lacks language and advanced tool-using capabilities. Furthermore, I think it's more difficult to destroy intelligent life like humanity without causing harm than it is to destroy unintelligent life. If I, for example, painlessly drive all tigers into extinction, I've just driven a species into extinction that I'm pretty certain couldn't understand the concept of death enough to fear it or care whether their species goes extinct or not. Given that they're not especially social, I could even drive them into extinction one at a time without causing tigers any more fear or trauma. With humans, however, if we find out that some group is considering destroying us, that'll lead to massive panic and suffering. Also, if a species is willing to destroy one intelligent species, that may alarm other intelligent species because it means that species may be more likely to destroy other intelligent species too. So...I do think there is a noteworthy difference between humans and other organisms on Earth. I think you'd have to destroy all humans painlessly and instantly and without us noticing, not just the adults, to destroy us without causing us relevant harm though. Otherwise, who will raise the youth? You could potentially lie to them about having destroyed the rest of humanity to not alarm them, and try to raise them in some better culture. That all involves risks of harm though...by which I mean forms of suffering. I do think humans are safely described as being in a different category than the other species...because our greater knowledge of the world grants us more free will and a better understanding of death and what we want out of life and how to achieve it, and it also makes it possible to teach us. I figure dolphins and animals that understand language...which may only be humans but I've heard dolphins might be able to use true language as well...might be as teachable as humans are, but their lack of knowledge about the world, right now, would still lead to fewer risks of suffering caused by destroying them than there would be for most life...and I consider the only relevant goals of anything being increasing pleasure and reducing suffering, so if something gets destroyed in a way that doesn't create suffering, I figure that's not inherently bad.

*The improved existences I spoke of would be best defined as better lives because they'd involve more of what the animals would want and less of what they don't want...which would be more pleasure and less suffering...through perhaps, for example, reducing an organism's capacity to experience pain through genetic engineering. Regarding most unintelligent animals, I would see their painless and instant destruction as beneficial for them too because it would be a way to radically reduce any suffering they experience, and I don't see how their destruction would harm them, because death itself neither creates nor reduces suffering or pleasure, so I figure it's something neutral for organisms that don't understand it and therefore harmless to them. Now, of course, death also avoids pleasure they'd experience, but I've got a rather complex response to that that would take longer than I want to delve into in this post and would involve describing a few moral formulas in utilitarian calculus I've thought up, and it explains why the pleasure they'd experience doesn't make it so destroying them painlessly would be bad. The short version goes: "Life could be described as having a maximum desirability value of zero, because it can never be better than non-existence if you've not existed yet, because before you've existed there was nobody to gain anything from coming into existence. Non-existence, while you're not existing, has a constant desirability value of zero. Coming into existence can have a negative value though...and so, there is no reason to create new life unless that new life assists previously existing life, and ideally all life would never have been created." With that in mind, we've got lots of organisms constantly creating new life without any thought about it whatsoever. We could stop that by destroying the unintelligent life forms with basically zero negatives, if done painlessly and suddenly.

*I respect anti-natalists because I think they think outside the box a lot. I'm not thrilled about how they often focus on discouraging humans from procreating though. I figure, if you want kids, you'll probably be a good parent and that'll help humanity so I don't want childbirth discouraged in general. I just don't want it encouraged unless the people already want kids. My preference would be that we just, some number of centuries from now, if we gain the technology to survive without Earth, to flee Earth and destroy all life on it and wander the universe scouring it of other unintelligent life for that life's benefit.

I do think humans are not especially intelligent now. However, I believe intelligent, language-using and tool-using life like ourselves, as well as alien civilizations of our fellow language and tool-users (and by language I mean the ability to use a finite number of symbols to produce a potentially infinite number of meanings) will progressively become more benevolent and wise with time. This is for a few reasons. Over time, we should develop progressively more knowledgeable sociologists and psychologists. Over time, I would not be surprised if we'd have progressively fewer problems with basic resource shortages through perpetually researching how to produce or obtain them, which means less desperate theft. Over time, I would not be surprised if we climb progressively higher up Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and become progressively more interested in the self-actualization top of the pyramid. That suggests to me our descendants would become progressively more interested in ethics, and I believe there is an enormous, utilitarian and hedonistic math formula embedded into the laws of nature that intelligent species discover progressively more of the more they learn about reality, and discovering what that math formula says to do could provide species with an endless sense of purpose, and because we crave purpose, and endless motivation to keep becoming more benevolent. I believe this math formula tells life to maximize pleasure and minimize suffering for all feeling life throughout all life throughout all of time.

So, when I talk about humans radically altering/destroying/improving animal life I'm not talking about modern humans, so much as humans several centuries from now or more. Right now, yeah, we're fairly messed up. It does look to me like we're getting better over time though. We nearly universally condemn all sorts of acts that many of our ancestors would have considered normal.

*I think I'm more likely to perceive death as more helpful to life than most people are in the above sorts of ways. I believe the purpose of life is to maximize pleasure and minimize suffering. I can minimize suffering by ending life in some circumstances. That in itself I don't think is something a huge number of people would disagree with that...until they see examples in which I play out that view, such as when I discuss how I believe many abortions can actually assist the unborn, or like when I describe my view of how we can actually assist certain species by driving them into extinction. I've had very few people agree with either of those views.

By "death" I mean the death of the body of an organism. I definitely think there are other valid definitions of death though. I'd say that's the most common default view of it though.

Thanks for the comments. :mrgreen:

Post by Age »

Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am
Age wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:15 pm

WHY?
HOW, EXACTLY?

Okay.
Okay.

*particular Ideas I like to explore: I love futuristic thought experiments, in particular.
If a 'spaceship' came and landed on earth 'tomorrow', (or in other words, 'in the future'), with living beings/creatures, then who or what would you think was inside controlling that 'ship'? What would you call 'them'?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am I'll greatly enjoy anything that uses futuristic potential technologies or powerful aliens to create a thought experiment. For example, here's a question: Your society can build a group of super humans that are smarter, healthier, kinder, harder-working, and have better impulse control than modern humans.
This IS HAPPENING 'right now', in the days when this is being written. And, is CONTINUALLY HAPPENING 'right now', in the future to 'you', people, when this WAS being written.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am They also don't age physically past young adulthood. They're basically better than modern humans in every measurable way.
But what is 'modern' to 'you', back in those 'OLDEN DAYS', when this WAS being written, IS NOT 'modern' AT ALL, to 'us'.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am If you build them, though, the resource cost will impoverish all of the rest of humanity for several generations.
Here we have the TYPICAL 'thinking' of the adult human being, back in the days when this was being written, that is; 'thinking' and/or 'worrying' about 'cost'.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am Also, they'll immediately flee to another universe and never contact their parent race of humanity again, so they can't help us, although they'll live well on their own. Do you build the superhumans?
'Superhuman' is a Truly ABSURD term, and just a plain old OXYMORON to say the least.

Also, there is NO "other" Universe.

Furthermore, here is ANOTHER example of a TYPICAL 'thought pattern' of the adult human being, back in those days when this was being written, that is; ONLY DOING some 'thing', which would HELP or BENEFIT the adult/s DOING that 'thing'.

VERY RARELY was there 'thinking' ABOUT "others", and the BENEFIT TO 'them'. It was almost always ABOUT what can 'we' GET FROM doing 'this thing'.

The very REASON OF PROCREATING is to do with the VERY Fact that 'they', the offspring, WILL HAVE TO 'live on their OWN'. So, the Right 'thing' in Life TO DO, when and after reaching PROCREATING AGE IS TO DO what IS Right for 'the offspring', and DOING SO WILL and DOES leave one KNOWING that 'the offspring' WILL do WELL 'on their OWN'.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am *I mentioned that I'm an atheist and a utilitarian because I like being in environments where people remember each other and each other's personalities and interests and this way I might stand out a little more, and because I like finding people to disagree with and I might enjoy it if other people might be looking for people to argue about those issues with, who have differing views than myself regarding those issues.
If 'you' think or BELIEVE that the word 'I' IS 'an atheist' and/or 'an utilitarian', then 'you' ARE, VERY SADLY, MISTAKEN.

Also, what 'you' ARE DOING here, so far, is NOT ANSWERING the ACTUAL SPECIFIC QUESTIONS that I posed, and ASKED 'you', and instead, if I recall correctly, ARE just repeating what 'you' SAID and CLAIMED earlier.

Now, HOW, EXACTLY, being a so-called "atheist" or "utilitarian" then this equates to LIKING being the environments you mentioned here?

And, WHY do you feel or want some NEED to 'stand out a little more'?

'you' could FIND people TO DISAGREE WITH just about ANYWHERE 'you', adult human beings, exist, in the days when this is being written.

'What' ARE 'those issues', EXACTLY, if "other people" might be looking to argue ABOUT, which you might then enjoy 'it'?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am *"Super organism" does not mean that the organism is "super." Calling something a "super organism" is simply a way of describing a collection of organisms that work together, such as a bee hive or ant colony, as a single, greater organism composed of multiple smaller organisms.
So, to you, the Universe IS a so-called 'super organism', as OBVIOUSLY ALL the organism WITHIN 'It' 'work together', right?

Although, and ABSOLUTELY VERY OBVIOUSLY, 'you', adult human beings, in the days when this is being written, are NOT FULLY 'working together', with "yourselves", let alone with ALL of the REST of the "OTHER" organisms WITHIN the One and ONLY REAL and True Organism, sometimes known as 'the Universe'.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am *I think the way other people tend to perceive individuality is different from how I perceive individuality in the sense that I tend to perceive all feeling life as more like sensory appendages of the same super organism than most people do.
Okay, but is 'this' just more or less what you SAID, previously?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am I think I've got evidence for this through seeing how most people perceive morality as working, as well as in other ways. One example was that I made a thought experiment involving someone (like yourself)
What IS 'someone', like 'me' (or 'myself'), EXACTLY?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am cloning yourself and uploading their memories into that clone after it's aged to adulthood. Because that clone has your memories, I feel like you could, in some very valid ways, live on through that clone after your original body dies,
WHO or WHAT do 'you' think or BELIEVE does the 'your' word refer to, EXACTLY, in the phrase or term 'your memories'?

To 'me', OBVIOUSLY if there IS a physical body, of ANY shape or form, with the EXACT SAME 'thoughts' AND 'memories' WITHIN 'it', then 'i' WOULD BE EXACTLY living on, in, or through 'that body'.

And, this is just because of 'WHO' and 'WHAT' the word 'you', REFERS TO, EXACTLY.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am even if you're both alive at the same time for awhile, talking to each other, and perceiving each other as different people.
But just within a VERY SHORT PERIOD of 'time', and a LITTLE BIT of 'introspection', then what could and would be VERY SIMPLY, EASILY, and QUICKLY UNCOVERED is that 'i' am IN BOTH of those physical bodies.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am This is largely because I think, in some valid ways, we live on through all other people.
Okay.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am That seems to be a very odd thought process to, I'd guess, at least a slight majority of people.
What DOES 'this' seem 'that way', to 'you, here?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am That's one thing that suggests to me that most people don't perceive individuality the way I do.
Okay. So, HOW, EXACTLY, do 'you' perceive 'individuality', AND, HOW, EXACTLY, do 'most people' perceive 'individuality, to 'you'?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am The actual thought experiment was much longer and more detailed.
Okay.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am It really doesn't work well without the detail. I submitted it to a philosophy conference awhile back at my community college, and got some positive feedback.
'Positive' in regards to 'what', EXACTLY?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am *I would say, based on how people constantly talk about it, God would be best described, most often, as a sort of sentient and singular ruler of the universe.
'Described, most often', by WHO, EXACTLY?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am *I like your comment made in response to my statement about me wanting to destroy all unintelligent life.
Okay. BUT, IF, instead of putting those 'star thingy things' at the beginning of your sentences here, which I have absolutely NO idea 'what' the following words are referring back to, EXACTLY, you just QUOTED the ACTUAL PART that you are replying to, then this would make UNDERSTANDING here MUCH EASIER, SIMPLER, and QUICKER.

'What' WAS 'my comment', AND, 'what' WAS 'your statement', EXACTLY?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am I could, actually, imagine aliens perceiving us as similar to how I perceive the nonhuman animals I'm calling unintelligent.
That would, OBVIOUSLY, depend FULLY on WHERE along the evolutionary scale those "others" ARE, EXACTLY, in relation to WHERE 'you', human beings, ARE, when 'contact' WAS made.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am I don't think destroying us would be morally wrong necessarily,
Does 'this' MEAN that 'you' do NOT think that DESTROYING ANY 'thing' "else", which 'you' consider to be LESS 'intelligent' then 'you', would be 'morally wrong', necessarily?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am and I might perceive that as actually harmless to us in all relevant ways if it's sudden and painless and we never find out it will happen before it does.
Is it 'this' 'kind of thinking', that is; attempts at "justifying" and/or "rationalizing", which helps 'you' in ALLOWING 'you' TO DESTROY "OTHER" 'things'?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am I will say, however, that I think intelligent life like humans has more capacity to improve ourselves, or be taught, than unintelligent life that lacks language and advanced tool-using capabilities.
LOL BUT those "others" DO NOT NEED 'improving'.

The ONLY 'thing' here that NEEDS 'improving', and which SOON ENOUGH could NEVER BE QUICK ENOUGH, IS 'you', adult human beings.

There is NOT "ANOTHER" 'known thing' in the WHOLE Universe that ACTUALLY and IRREFUTABLY NEEDS 'improving', like 'you', adult human beings, REALLY DO.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am Furthermore, I think it's more difficult to destroy intelligent life like humanity without causing harm than it is to destroy unintelligent life.
What is this apparent OBSESSION WITH DESTROYING what 'you', "clinton", consider to be 'unintelligent life'?

Which, by the way, the ONLY 'non intelligent life' in the known Universe IS, AGAIN, 'you', adult human beings, ALONE.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am If I, for example, painlessly drive all tigers into extinction, I've just driven a species into extinction that I'm pretty certain couldn't understand the concept of death enough to fear it or care whether their species goes extinct or not.
1. Sneak up on a 'tiger', if 'it' is NOT 'fearing death', then 'what', EXACTLY, is 'it' FEARING?

2. If there is NOT a 'care' about 'the species' going extinct or not, then WHY does 'it' do ALL 'it' can and does to PROCREATE.

3. Sure, I AGREE that there is NOT A 'thing' like A 'person' INSIDE the physical 'tiger' body considering 'life' AND 'death' NOR contemplating on the extinction or not of the species 'tiger'. But, I AM TOTALLY SURE there ARE 'genes' WITHIN the 'tiger' body that ARE doing ALL 'they' can in KEEPING 'tiger' ALIVE, and KEEPING 'the species' FROM going extinct.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am Given that they're not especially social, I could even drive them into extinction one at a time without causing tigers any more fear or trauma.
AND, 'you' COULD DRIVE human beings INTO EXTINCTION, AND 'one at a time', if you that so pleases you ALSO, WITHOUT causing human beings ANY MORE fear NOR trauma, AS WELL.

BUT SO WHAT?

What is YOUR apparent OBSESSION here WITH 'death' AND 'destruction' OF "others"?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am With humans, however, if we find out that some group is considering destroying us, that'll lead to massive panic and suffering.
ONLY IF 'you' ARE VERY IMMATURE, FEARFUL, AFRAID, and/or 'you' were somewhat PRESUMING 'you' WERE GOING TO LIVE FOREVER.

Will 'you' EXPLAIN to 'us', readers, here, now, WHY 'you' WOULD and WILL 'panic' AND 'suffer' WHEN 'you' FIND OUT that 'you' are GOING TO DIE?

Also, a vast majority of 'you', human beings, could NOT CARE LESS, and EVEN LESS than a 'tiger' would.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am Also, if a species is willing to destroy one intelligent species, that may alarm other intelligent species because it means that species may be more likely to destroy other intelligent species too.
How MANY species do 'you' consider ARE 'intelligent', and WHO would be so-called 'alarmed' AT such a 'thing' as 'this' here?

IF 'you' EVER respond to 'this QUESTION', then this WILL HELP 'us' IN UNDERSTANDING 'you', and 'your lot' MUCH BETTER.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am So...I do think there is a noteworthy difference between humans and other organisms on Earth.
BUT, you just got through, in the sentence DIRECTLY BEFORE 'this one', SAYING and CLAIMING that there are OTHER intelligent species. So, 'what', EXACTLY, IS the ACTUAL 'noteworthy difference' between 'you', human beings, AND OTHER 'organisms', on earth?

'It' OBVIOUSLY could NOT be 'intelligence'. That is; if 'we' are to take 'your words' here.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am I think you'd have to destroy all humans painlessly and instantly and without us noticing, not just the adults, to destroy us without causing us relevant harm though.
What do you mean by 'harm' here?

And, 'relevant harm' in relation to 'what', EXACTLY?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am Otherwise, who will raise the youth?
What are you going on ABOUT now?

The so-called 'youth' COULD and WOULD so-call 'raise' "themselves" FAR BETTER and FAR MORE SUCCESSFULLY than 'you', adulterated people, COULD and HAVE.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am You could potentially lie to them about having destroyed the rest of humanity to not alarm them, and try to raise them in some better culture.
I think you are taking 'this' DESTROYING, completely, SOME GROUP of human beings, WAY TO SERIOUSLY.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am That all involves risks of harm though...by which I mean forms of suffering.
one can OBVIOUSLY ONLY 'suffer' while ALIVE. So, if you are HELL BENT on KILLING and DESTROYING a WHOLE GROUP of human beings, or ANY one
"ELSE", then there will be NO 'form of suffering' for that NON EXISTENT GROUP, ANYMORE AT ALL.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am I do think humans are safely described as being in a different category than the other species...because our greater knowledge of the world grants us more free will
So, one can ONLY grant so-called 'free will' WITH and FROM so-called 'greater knowledge', right?

If yes, then this MEANS that NO new born has 'free will' correct?

And it is ONLY through evolution, itself, that 'you', human beings, are GAINING MORE and MORE 'free will' as 'you', SUPPOSEDLY, GAIN GREATER and GREATER 'knowledge', along the way, true?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am and a better understanding of death and what we want out of life and how to achieve it, and it also makes it possible to teach us.
BUT ALL 'tigers', 'insects', 'amoebas', AND 'new born human infants', for example, KNOW what 'they' WANT 'out of life'.

It is ONLY 'you', adult human beings, how have BECOME LOST and CONFUSED in 'this' regard.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am I figure dolphins and animals that understand language...which may only be humans but I've heard dolphins might be able to use true language as well...
LOL and 'what' IS so-called 'true language', EXACTLY?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am might be as teachable as humans are, but their lack of knowledge about the world, right now, would still lead to fewer risks of suffering caused by destroying them than there would be for most life...and I consider the only relevant goals of anything being increasing pleasure and reducing suffering, so if something gets destroyed in a way that doesn't create suffering, I figure that's not inherently bad.
Okay, BUT, SO WHAT?

What does what 'you', "clinton", here, figure to be so-called 'inherently bad' or not got to do with ANY ACTUAL 'thing', in Life?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am *The improved existences I spoke of would be best defined as better lives because they'd involve more of what the animals would want and less of what they don't want...which would be more pleasure and less suffering...through perhaps, for example, reducing an organism's capacity to experience pain through genetic engineering.
Have 'you', adult human beings, in the days when this is being written, REALLY BECOME SO, what is sometimes called, 'wimpy', that 'you' now SERIOUSLY WANT to REDUCE a 'part' that ACTUALLY makes 'you', human, which are; 'experiences'?

Also, IMAGINE if 'you' REDUCED the capacity to experience pain, in let us say 'a foot' here, so much that you just kept walking around with a broken ankle. Now, HOW WELL do 'you' IMAGINE that 'this' would do FOR 'you'.

EXPERIENCE 'pain' IS a PART of 'life' AND 'living', AND a VERY NECESSARY PART I WILL ADD here.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am Regarding most unintelligent animals, I would see their painless and instant destruction as beneficial for them too because it would be a way to radically reduce any suffering they experience, and I don't see how their destruction would harm them, because death itself neither creates nor reduces suffering or pleasure, so I figure it's something neutral for organisms that don't understand it and therefore harmless to them.
BUT WHY WOULD ANY Truly 'intelligent animal or species' REALLY WANT TO DESTROY ANY OTHER animal or species?

What ACTUAL PURPOSE in Life would there FOR DOING SO?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am Now, of course, death also avoids pleasure they'd experience, but I've got a rather complex response to that that would take longer than I want to delve into in this post and would involve describing a few moral formulas in utilitarian calculus I've thought up, and it explains why the pleasure they'd experience doesn't make it so destroying them painlessly would be bad.
WHY would ANY SANE person even WANT TO 'consider' such 'things' AS 'this', LET ALONE TALK ABOUT 'them' IN 'private' with "another", let alone IN PUBLIC?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am The short version goes: "Life could be described as having a maximum desirability value of zero, because it can never be better than non-existence if you've not existed yet, because before you've existed there was nobody to gain anything from coming into existence. Non-existence, while you're not existing, has a constant desirability value of zero. Coming into existence can have a negative value though...and so, there is no reason to create new life unless that new life assists previously existing life, and ideally all life would never have been created." With that in mind, we've got lots of organisms constantly creating new life without any thought about it whatsoever. We could stop that by destroying the unintelligent life forms with basically zero negatives, if done painlessly and suddenly.
There are MANY 'things' that 'you' could do. But this does NOT mean doing 'them' makes ANY REAL 'sense'?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am *I respect anti-natalists because I think they think outside the box a lot. I'm not thrilled about how they often focus on discouraging humans from procreating though. I figure, if you want kids, you'll probably be a good parent and that'll help humanity so I don't want childbirth discouraged in general. I just don't want it encouraged unless the people already want kids.
But WHO CARES what 'you' WANT?

If you HAVE a sound AND valid argument for some 'thing' here, then I suggest providing 'it'.

Otherwise, if you do NOT have a sound AND valid argument for what 'you' WANT, then I suggest NOT TELLING 'us' what 'you' WANT.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am My preference would be that we just, some number of centuries from now, if we gain the technology to survive without Earth, to flee Earth and destroy all life on it and wander the universe scouring it of other unintelligent life for that life's benefit.
As some might SAY, 'wtf'?

So, 'your' preference here is to DESTROY 'this planet' and ALL the OTHER life forms on it, and then FLEE, while LOOKING FOR somewhere ELSE to INHABIT, and DESTROY, and then FLEE AGAIN, after DESTROYING EVERY 'thing', and then LOOK FOR somewhere ELSE to INHABIT, and TO, AGAIN, DESTROY ALL, and then REPEAT, and RE-REPEAT, AGAIN, correct?

if yes, then could I just ASK, WHY, EXACTLY?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am I do think humans are not especially intelligent now.
Well 'you' are PROVING 'this' IRREFUTABLY True with 'preferences' like 'YOURS" above here.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am However, I believe intelligent, language-using and tool-using life like ourselves, as well as alien civilizations of our fellow language and tool-users (and by language I mean the ability to use a finite number of symbols to produce a potentially infinite number of meanings) will progressively become more benevolent and wise with time.
Well if one's preference is to FLEE 'one's home', AND to DESTROY ALL life on 'that home', then 'this' is CERTAINLY NOT 'benevolent', NOR 'wise', AT ALL, CLEARLY and OBVIOUSLY
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am This is for a few reasons. Over time, we should develop progressively more knowledgeable sociologists and psychologists. Over time, I would not be surprised if we'd have progressively fewer problems with basic resource shortages through perpetually researching how to produce or obtain them, which means less desperate theft. Over time, I would not be surprised if we climb progressively higher up Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and become progressively more interested in the self-actualization top of the pyramid. That suggests to me our descendants would become progressively more interested in ethics, and I believe there is an enormous, utilitarian and hedonistic math formula embedded into the laws of nature that intelligent species discover progressively more of the more they learn about reality, and discovering what that math formula says to do could provide species with an endless sense of purpose, and because we crave purpose, and endless motivation to keep becoming more benevolent.
When this is being written, do 'you' REALLY NOT YET KNOW what 'your purpose is, EXACTLY, nor what 'the purpose' of 'life' IS, EXACTLY?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am I believe this math formula tells life to maximize pleasure and minimize suffering for all feeling life throughout all life throughout all of time.
Yet, and VERY CONTRADICTORY, 'your preference' is to END ALL life on earth, and FLEEING, or RUNNING AWAY.
So, when I talk about humans radically altering/destroying/improving animal life I'm not talking about modern humans, so much as humans several centuries from now or more. Right now, yeah, we're fairly messed up.
'Fairly' here, is 'fairly relative'.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am It does look to me like we're getting better over time though. We nearly universally condemn all sorts of acts that many of our ancestors would have considered normal.
And 'you', adult human beings, in the days when this is being written, are DOING what BECOMES 'universally condemned'.
*I think I'm more likely to perceive death as more helpful to life than most people are in the above sorts of ways.
But absolutely NOTHING in 'the above sorts of ways' EXPLAINS ANY 'way' NOR ANY 'thing' ABOUT how 'death' could be 'more helpful' to 'life'.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am I believe the purpose of life is to maximize pleasure and minimize suffering.
Okay. WHY would 'you' BELIEVE such a 'thing' as 'this'?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am I can minimize suffering by ending life in some circumstances.
AND, I could minimize 'your suffering', ALSO, by ENDING 'your life', AS WELL.

I would then "justify" 'this DOING, by just saying something like; I BELIEVE the purpose of life is to maximize pleasure and minimize suffering, AND I just maximized MY pleasure, by minimizing YOUR suffering COMPLETELY.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am That in itself I don't think is something a huge number of people would disagree with that...until they see examples in which I play out that view, such as when I discuss how I believe many abortions can actually assist the unborn,
WHY do you NOT BELIEVE that ALL abortions can ACTUALLY assist the unborn?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am or like when I describe my view of how we can actually assist certain species by driving them into extinction.
HOW can 'you' ACTUALLY assist certain species by driving them into existence.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am I've had very few people agree with either of those views.
But I do NOT KNOW HOW ANY one could DISAGREE with 'those views'. Unless, OF COURSE, what you are ACTUALLY meaning AND referring to HAS ALREADY BEEN LISTENED TO, and HEARD. Which, OBVIOUSLY, 'we' HAVE NOT.
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am By "death" I mean the death of the body of an organism.
But WHEN is 'that', EXACTLY, to you?

The ACTUAL 'death of the body', to 'us', may be well way AFTER, or way BEFORE, to 'you', correct?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am I definitely think there are other valid definitions of death though. I'd say that's the most common default view of it though.
LOL But 'that' is one of the MOST ABSURD and Truly RIDICULOUS 'views'.

Also, HOW, EXACTLY, did 'you' ARRIVE at the CONCLUSION that 'that view' was the so-called 'most common default view'?
Clinton wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:45 am Thanks for the comments. :mrgreen:
Clinton

Re: Age

Post by Clinton »

not posting some of your exact statements right now partly to make my posts shorter and partly because I'm not exactly clear on how to post replies clearly yet. Thanks for your response again, Age. This is regarding your most recent post.

You stated: If a 'spaceship' came and landed on earth 'tomorrow', (or in other words, 'in the future'), with living beings/creatures, then who or what would you think was inside controlling that 'ship'? What would you call 'them'?

My response is...I'd call them aliens. I'm not sure what the goal of that question is, but that's my most concise answer: aliens. A more accurate description would be extraterrestrials...because the word "alien" can merely refer to human beings who are foreigners, but it definitely seems like for most English speakers I'm familiar with the word "alien" most often tends to imply that the being is an extraterrestrial.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You stated the following: This IS HAPPENING 'right now', in the days when this is being written. And, is CONTINUALLY HAPPENING 'right now', in the future to 'you', people, when this WAS being written.

in response to the below comment I made:

I'll greatly enjoy anything that uses futuristic potential technologies or powerful aliens to create a thought experiment. For example, here's a question: Your society can build a group of super humans that are smarter, healthier, kinder, harder-working, and have better impulse control than modern humans.

While I agree that we are creating "superhumans" with those sorts of improved qualities I described, some key differences between my proposed "superhumans" and the ones naturally produced through lucky genetics are A: You and I would know that my proposed "superhumans" were actually superhumans...whereas we're going to have a much more difficult time determining that existing humans with lucky genetics are these sorts of just...better in basically every way types of humans. And B: modern humans with lucky genetics have no means of being zipped away off to another universe. Both those differences are key factors in my proposed thought experiment. Also, it's a very utilitarian thought experiment. If you believe utilitarianism is one of the better ways of building moral codes and enjoy thinking about utilitarian calculus, you might find the specifics of my analysis of it interesting. Otherwise, I doubt you're going to have much interest in my explanation of my analysis of it, so I'll skip that for now...unless you do have an interest in that very long conversation which would be considerably longer if you do not already spend much time thinking about utilitarian calculus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You stated this:

But what is 'modern' to 'you', back in those 'OLDEN DAYS', when this WAS being written, IS NOT 'modern' AT ALL, to 'us'.

I disagree, given that this was written a few days ago. I'd say a few days ago would be quite modern to everyone on Earth. Modern is a term that refers to aspects of existence that are similar to today. I doubt anyone will be able to think of any major trends or aspects of culture that have changed much over the past few days. I'd say even in war-torn areas of Ukraine on the front lines where massive, life-altering changes are occurring daily, they'd still call a few days ago "modern" just because for most of the world, culture would not have altered much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You stated this:

'Superhuman' is a Truly ABSURD term, and just a plain old OXYMORON to say the least.

Also, there is NO "other" Universe.

Furthermore, here is ANOTHER example of a TYPICAL 'thought pattern' of the adult human being, back in those days when this was being written, that is; ONLY DOING some 'thing', which would HELP or BENEFIT the adult/s DOING that 'thing'.

VERY RARELY was there 'thinking' ABOUT "others", and the BENEFIT TO 'them'. It was almost always ABOUT what can 'we' GET FROM doing 'this thing'.

The very REASON OF PROCREATING is to do with the VERY Fact that 'they', the offspring, WILL HAVE TO 'live on their OWN'. So, the Right 'thing' in Life TO DO, when and after reaching PROCREATING AGE IS TO DO what IS Right for 'the offspring', and DOING SO WILL and DOES leave one KNOWING that 'the offspring' WILL do WELL 'on their OWN'.

My response is:

*Superhuman essentially refers to someone that is an improved version of existing humans, except it's a quicker way of saying that. I haven't a clue why anyone would be opposed to that term.

*It doesn't matter whether there is another universe or not for the purposes of that thought experiment. In this thought experiment, another universe exists. The important part of the thought experiment is just that the superhumans have no means of ever contacting, or assisting, their parent species again. I felt that saying they left into another universe was the most concise method of getting across that point. I think discussing whether or not other universes can, do, or could exist could be interesting...for people who are not me...but I have zero opinions about that right now. I'm not especially knowledgeable about that type of scientific knowledge, and while I find it interesting and useful, I tend to have little to contribute to those types of discussions. I definitely know that some people who appear much more intelligent than I do wonder if there are multiple universes though...so I strongly suspect you are wrong. It's your confidence that I disagree with...not the prospect that there is only one universe. To convince me you are correct, you'd have to explain why so many seeming experts discuss multiverse theory so often, and do mention the prospect of multiple universes, as a start. I can do a google search and several people with impressive titles claiming they consider it a possibility that multiple universes exist.

*Regarding the following:

I agree with that...and I'll emphasize that I don't think I implied anything that disagrees with that. I don't think my statements have had much to do with either of these topics, so if they were made in support of something I've said, I'm not sure what it was. Therefore, I'm not sure what the significance of those statements is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You stated the following:

If 'you' think or BELIEVE that the word 'I' IS 'an atheist' and/or 'an utilitarian', then 'you' ARE, VERY SADLY, MISTAKEN.

Also, what 'you' ARE DOING here, so far, is NOT ANSWERING the ACTUAL SPECIFIC QUESTIONS that I posed, and ASKED 'you', and instead, if I recall correctly, ARE just repeating what 'you' SAID and CLAIMED earlier.

Now, HOW, EXACTLY, being a so-called "atheist" or "utilitarian" then this equates to LIKING being the environments you mentioned here?

'you' could FIND people TO DISAGREE WITH just about ANYWHERE 'you', adult human beings, exist, in the days when this is being written.

'What' ARE 'those issues', EXACTLY, if "other people" might be looking to argue ABOUT, which you might then enjoy 'it'?

My response is...I have no idea what the following means:
*If 'you' think or BELIEVE that the word 'I' IS 'an atheist' and/or 'an utilitarian', then 'you' ARE, VERY SADLY, MISTAKEN.

*I've been doing a wonderful job answering the questions you posed. I've been spending a great deal of time doing so. I'm not going to be answering everything perfectly, and have not responded to everything, because doing so takes a great deal of time, and because I wanted to spare you from having to read a book in a comments section, and because several of your statements either have been unclear to me or could be answered in multiple ways. Please keep in mind I've been putting a great deal of time and effort into my responses. It's often worth it to me, because I consider the opportunity to have discussions about philosophy to be a rare treasure...but I do prefer it when people understand the fairly large amount of thought and work I nearly always put into my discussions too. If my responses haven't been satisfactory, you need to explain why or be content with what I post, or rephrase your comments and questions.

*This doesn't make sense:

*This doesn't make sense:

*Regarding this:
*'you' could FIND people TO DISAGREE WITH just about ANYWHERE 'you', adult human beings, exist, in the days when this is being written.
No I can't. I can't disagree with my relatives about most controversial topics, because I have to live with them and that might upset them. I can't disagree with coworkers about most controversial topics because that might cause problems at work. I can disagree with my friends...but if they're my friends they're probably either my friends because we don't talk about controversial topics, or because we already agree on most controversial topics. So, there's pretty much nowhere where I, and most of society, can disagree with people about much, except for online environments like this, which is why I perceive them as invaluable...especially if they're filled with people who want to discuss things in detail, and I suspect that's this type of environment, at least moreso than places like Youtube and other environments filled with people uninterested in philosophy.

* 'What' ARE 'those issues', EXACTLY, if "other people" might be looking to argue ABOUT, which you might then enjoy 'it'?
I think it would be swifter to discuss what I tend to not have much of an interest in discussing: topics that involve extensive research or that focus on semantics and proper terminology. I love discussing how utilitarian calculus should work with my fellow utilitarians. I can never find as many of them as I'd like. I like trying to convince people that God can't exist unless it was created by some other intelligence. I believe that the teleological, ontological, and cosmological arguments are all misleading and bias people against atheism, and I like to explain why. I like to discuss my views about how aliens would likely behave. I like to discuss my view that hedonistic utilitarian thinking is, basically, the only way to create accurate moral codes. I like to discuss my moral code, which is a brand of utilitarianism that seeks to maximize pleasure and minimize for all feeling life in all possible universes throughout all of time. I like to discuss how I believe there is no other rational source for moral codes than the goal of increasing pleasure and reducing suffering. I like to discuss my view that God-belief likely causes more harm than good...and I like to discuss my view that God-belief can be beneficial at times too...and most topics that don't involve much research or sematic bickering.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*So, to you, the Universe IS a so-called 'super organism', as OBVIOUSLY ALL the organism WITHIN 'It' 'work together', right?

Yes...but that's obvious. What's not obvious is the degree to which all feeling life are a super organism, and in what contexts. That's where I think I have disagreements with most of society. I delved into some details about how that works a bit already. This is another potentially extremely lengthy discussion.

*You stated this:
What IS 'someone', like 'me' (or 'myself'), EXACTLY?

By that I meant that I could be talking about you. Really, if you'd like to discuss this thought experiment you're referring to aspects of...I think it'd be better for me to create a single post describing it in full, and then you could respond to that, because right now I've not really explained much about what it is, and right now you asking questions about it is going to lead down a bunch of tangents that aren't going to involve that thought experiment, and perhaps not areas of interest I have or that I've thought about. I could just copy past the full 1 page MS word document thought experiment to this thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHO or WHAT do 'you' think or BELIEVE does the 'your' word refer to, EXACTLY, in the phrase or term 'your memories'?

To 'me', OBVIOUSLY if there IS a physical body, of ANY shape or form, with the EXACT SAME 'thoughts' AND 'memories' WITHIN 'it', then 'i' WOULD BE EXACTLY living on, in, or through 'that body'.

And, this is just because of 'WHO' and 'WHAT' the word 'you', REFERS TO, EXACTLY.

See my above comments about, if you're interested in this, I should probably just post the full thought experiment. It deals with all this stuff. I think describing the thought experiment would be a better, more full, way of starting to answer these questions than just doing so here too. I don't think I can provide a good response to those questions without describing that thought experiment. I think it's probably the best introduction to my worldview I can think of. I designed it to be an hopefully entertaining sci-fi thought experiment introduction to my worldview, actually. We're dealing with a very complex series of topics that I don't think can be dealt with well in a few sentences.

But just within a VERY SHORT PERIOD of 'time', and a LITTLE BIT of 'introspection', then what could and would be VERY SIMPLY, EASILY, and QUICKLY UNCOVERED is that 'i' am IN BOTH of those physical bodies.

I agree...basically. I could think of circumstances in which I don't think we should treat everyone that way though...which again, I'd say reading the full thought experiment is a good introduction to that.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What DOES 'this' seem 'that way', to 'you, here?
Aside from what I've already described...I don't have any interest in discussing whether or not I'm correct in my perceptions of most of society. I don't see that as revealing much regarding interesting truths about reality. At most it might tell me that I don't understand other people's perspectives as well as I think I do, which is something I could find out from numerous sources that don't involve discussion.

Okay. So, HOW, EXACTLY, do 'you' perceive 'individuality', AND, HOW, EXACTLY, do 'most people' perceive 'individuality, to 'you'?
Well, I've been writing a potentially thick book about that, so I could either write an entire book in this thread...which I don't intend to do...or I could just say that I perceive feeling life as more of a super organism than most people do, or I could post the above thought experiment that I've been talking about, as a pretty good start, I'd say.

'Positive' in regards to 'what', EXACTLY?
Some people liked my thought experiment at the philosophy conference
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Described, most often', by WHO, EXACTLY?
Me...based on how most of society seem to define God. Now, I'm not convinced most of society would describe god that way. They might be more likely to describe God as simply the creator of all that it is not, or something like that. I don't think that's the best description for it though, and I think mine is better, because that definition does not require sentience, and I'd strongly suspect that if the majority of the world who believe in the God of Abraham found out tomorrow that there was a God, but it was neither sentient nor intelligent, they'd not consider the existence of that God as being especially relevant, because what they're interested in is a sentient God who rules the universe - a paternal character who is the source of all answers and righter of wrongs and provider of purpose - a father figure. I wouldn't think a non-sentient source for the universe could feel like a father figure to most people who've been imagining God as a father figure...even though I bet it might to various pantheists...but I'd say they're in the extreme minority and I'd argue that a non-sentient God is indistinguishable from atheism anyway.

Okay. BUT, IF, instead of putting those 'star thingy things' at the beginning of your sentences here, which I have absolutely NO idea 'what' the following words are referring back to, EXACTLY, you just QUOTED the ACTUAL PART that you are replying to, then this would make UNDERSTANDING here MUCH EASIER, SIMPLER, and QUICKER.

'What' WAS 'my comment', AND, 'what' WAS 'your statement', EXACTLY?

I'll keep that in mind next time. Sadly, I've already written a lot already. I'm still figuring out how the quoting system works.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You stated this: That would, OBVIOUSLY, depend FULLY on WHERE along the evolutionary scale those "others" ARE, EXACTLY, in relation to WHERE 'you', human beings, ARE, when 'contact' WAS made.

in response to my statement of: I could, actually, imagine aliens perceiving us as similar to how I perceive the nonhuman animals I'm calling unintelligent.

I agree. I'm referring to modern humans in that case.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You stated this:
Does 'this' MEAN that 'you' do NOT think that DESTROYING ANY 'thing' "else", which 'you' consider to be LESS 'intelligent' then 'you', would be 'morally wrong', necessarily?

In response to this: I don't think destroying us would be morally wrong necessarily,

My response is...I mean I think destroying all of humanity, including myself, and people more intelligent than me, and people less intelligent than me, would not be morally wrong, necessarily. It depends on how its done and what impacts it has.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it 'this' 'kind of thinking', that is; attempts at "justifying" and/or "rationalizing", which helps 'you' in ALLOWING 'you' TO DESTROY "OTHER" 'things'

If by rationalizing and justifying you mean seeking justice and being rational...then, in some instances, yes, such as when I had my fourteen year old dog with heart problems who could no longer walk put to sleep. I can think of few to no other circumstances in which I'd see good reason to destroy other things in modern times though that I'm likely to encounter...with exceptions of things like biting insects and ants in the house. For example, with animals, fewer prey animals just mean more starvation of their predators. Fewer predators just mean overpopulation and sickness of the prey. Given that I can't drive all unintelligent feeling life in nature into extinction...I don't think there's much I can do to help or harm it, aside from not causing it extra harm for now.

I will note, however, that I'd say that by far the most harm we're doing to the animal world comes through factory farming. Eating factory-farmed food is certainly not limited to people with my worldview.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL BUT those "others" DO NOT NEED 'improving'.

The ONLY 'thing' here that NEEDS 'improving', and which SOON ENOUGH could NEVER BE QUICK ENOUGH, IS 'you', adult human beings.

There is NOT "ANOTHER" 'known thing' in the WHOLE Universe that ACTUALLY and IRREFUTABLY NEEDS 'improving', like 'you', adult human beings, REALLY DO.

Well, let me put things this way. Here's how I see the natural world. Imagine that a bunch of homeless human beings with severe mental problems were tossed into the wilderness. Half of them wear blue shirts. Half of them wear red shirts. The smartest of them have similar levels of intelligence as a five year old child. Most of them are significantly less intelligent. They frequently cannibalize and have sex with each other. The red shirts try to cannibalize the blue shirts and the blue shirts try to cannibalize the red shirts.

If you think the natural world operates in any relevant way differently than that...I'd be very interested in hearing your explanation regarding why. I think that's a wonderful depiction of how nature, red in tooth and claw, works that really illustrates its problems that I definitely think we need to fix. All those animals around us don't have any better understanding of the world around them as those humans with mental disabilities. Also, the pain they feel, especially if they're mammals, from being eaten may feel very similar to what humans feel. I think we should fix that for the same reason I think people with severe mental disabilities should be cared for, preferably by loving people...as opposed to being left out in the wilderness where they cannibalize and have sex with each other, and procreate without really having the intelligence to be capable of consent.

Even if you do believe the painless destruction of those life forms to be bad (which I don't) worse case scenario we're talking about a temporary "bad" thing that could prevent billions of years of mindless, Darwinian gladiatorial arena-style life. I think humanity has a duty to end that one day. We can't now, but eventually I hope we'll be able to survive without other life on Earth and do it.

Or...if we're not going to end that process entirely, at least we could alter it to make it less barbaric, possibly genetically engineering life forms to not feel pain as strongly or something.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this apparent OBSESSION WITH DESTROYING what 'you', "clinton", consider to be 'unintelligent life'?

Which, by the way, the ONLY 'non intelligent life' in the known Universe IS, AGAIN, 'you', adult human beings, ALONE.

I can't imagine why adult human beings would be considered the only unintelligent life in the universe by anyone. I have an obsession with destroying things so much because the vast majority of the population seems to perceive death as far more harmful than it actually is, and I find that frustrating when I see that mentality's impact on things like abortion...which commonly end up actually harming the fetus in attempts to help it, and harming the mother as well. It's incredibly frustrating imagining some sixteen year old not getting an early abortion because she thinks it's murder, and in doing so decreasing the quality of hear life as well as her unborn fetus's. It's much more frustrating hearing about people pressuring her to go down that route. One a fetus can experience pain there is a valid reason to consider not aborting it. Before then though, there is no reason not to if the mother wants to...and I find it incredibly frustrating that much of society don't seem to understand that, and the only explanation I can think of for that is that people perceive death as more harmful than it actually is. Without the abortion issue, I probably wouldn't be as obsessed as I, admittedly, am though. It is also a central tenet of my worldview though, so I'd talk about it regardless, just not as much. Also, destroying other life in the universe is the main reason why I want humanity to expand throughout the stars. It's the reason why I donate platelets frequently. Everything good I do is because I believe it will help humanity endure somehow and spread throughout the stars faster to destroy other life forms...so it's a very important part of my worldview.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Sneak up on a 'tiger', if 'it' is NOT 'fearing death', then 'what', EXACTLY, is 'it' FEARING?

2. If there is NOT a 'care' about 'the species' going extinct or not, then WHY does 'it' do ALL 'it' can and does to PROCREATE.

3. Sure, I AGREE that there is NOT A 'thing' like A 'person' INSIDE the physical 'tiger' body considering 'life' AND 'death' NOR contemplating on the extinction or not of the species 'tiger'. But, I AM TOTALLY SURE there ARE 'genes' WITHIN the 'tiger' body that ARE doing ALL 'they' can in KEEPING 'tiger' ALIVE, and KEEPING 'the species' FROM going extinct.

1. What the tiger fears is not death, so far as I can tell. Its fear is a product of its instincts...not the prospect of fear of death death. Fearing death would mean fearing losing your sentience. Tigers will fear certain things regardless of whether or not they've seen other tigers die. They therefore have no reason to, at least in all instances, understand that their sentience might fade after death. To fear death requires a pretty complex thought process that associates a lack of consciousness with the inability to move. To understand that, I have no clue how you wouldn't need language to roll such concepts around in your mind and perhaps even talk about them to understand them. Even if they do fear death, they lack an understanding of the world around them to really think about whether or not they want to be alive much. They understand things like hunger and joys at the hunt and concern for their cubs. Their world would be one of emotions...probably not the complex thoughts humans are capable of, because when I think about those complex concepts, I pretty much always use language, which tigers don't have. They have communication...but not the ability to use a finite number of symbols to communicate a potentially infinite number of meanings called language.

2. Species aside from humans don't procreate to keep their species alive. They procreate either due to instinctive reasons, or emotional ones.

3. What we want, and what our genes drive us to do, are completely different things. Rape, for example, is a very useful strategy for dolphins, and maybe even humans, for procreation. If I can get away with rape and not be caught, from an evolutionary perspective, I should probably do it. That's not what I want to do though, because I'm more than my instincts. What's good for me has little to do with my instincts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND, 'you' COULD DRIVE human beings INTO EXTINCTION, AND 'one at a time', if you that so pleases you ALSO, WITHOUT causing human beings ANY MORE fear NOR trauma, AS WELL.

BUT SO WHAT?

What is YOUR apparent OBSESSION here WITH 'death' AND 'destruction' OF "others"?

No, you couldn't do the same with humans. If you'd kill off humans one at a time, just think of the terror that would cause: some faceless ghost killing people in their sleep. Society would collapse into anarchy and terror if it was common enough. If it was small scale, it would still be a local terror. Imagine all the parents and wives and husbands and brothers and sisters and children crying at the loss of their relatives and friends. It would be truly tragic...and that's my response to your "so what" comment. That's why that would cause problems....Basically the reason why that would cause problems is just about everything you and I likely care about most.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ONLY IF 'you' ARE VERY IMMATURE, FEARFUL, AFRAID, and/or 'you' were somewhat PRESUMING 'you' WERE GOING TO LIVE FOREVER.

Will 'you' EXPLAIN to 'us', readers, here, now, WHY 'you' WOULD and WILL 'panic' AND 'suffer' WHEN 'you' FIND OUT that 'you' are GOING TO DIE?

Also, a vast majority of 'you', human beings, could NOT CARE LESS, and EVEN LESS than a 'tiger' would.

Kind of...partly...if you're willing to defined almost all humans as very immature, fearful and afraid, which I'd not do. People have good reason to fear death regardless of whether or not they'll live forever though. I'd say it's a pretty primal survival instinct that's very difficult for many of us to deal with (certainly me...I have a lot of instinctive fear of death). Furthermore, there are other concerns society would have. If a species might destroy us...why should I care about the future? Society would be much more likely to collapse without as many people planning for the future.

I don't not want to die at all. I'm not saying that's logical...but the prospect of me being destroyed extra early by some aliens or something would cause me suffering.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How MANY species do 'you' consider ARE 'intelligent', and WHO would be so-called 'alarmed' AT such a 'thing' as 'this' here?

IF 'you' EVER respond to 'this QUESTION', then this WILL HELP 'us' IN UNDERSTANDING 'you', and 'your lot' MUCH BETTER.

So far I only know that I'd consider humans to be especially intelligent. Dolphins might count in some ways, if they can use language. I was mostly thinking about potential aliens though. If aliens are willing to destroy one intelligent species, that might alarm other aliens and make them concerned they'd be destroyed, perhaps triggering intense distrust and/or fear.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT, you just got through, in the sentence DIRECTLY BEFORE 'this one', SAYING and CLAIMING that there are OTHER intelligent species. So, 'what', EXACTLY, IS the ACTUAL 'noteworthy difference' between 'you', human beings, AND OTHER 'organisms', on earth?

'It' OBVIOUSLY could NOT be 'intelligence'. That is; if 'we' are to take 'your words' here.

If believe I meant "other intelligent species" in the sense that aliens could exist and that dolphins might be described as intelligent to me, in a human-ish category, if they use language. The main difference I see between humans and other species on Earth has to do with our ability to us language, (unless dolphins can use it too) and the technology and awareness resulting from that, because that allows us to be harmed by death in many more ways than other species.

I do agree that intelligence is not necessarily the primary qualifier here. I think it's a fine general shorthand description of what I'm talking about though. I would argue that humans are pretty much, on average, more intelligent than about everything else most likely, so in general the more intelligent the more they'll fall into the humanish, language-using category I'm talking about that would lose more from death in more ways than most species.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are you going on ABOUT now?

The so-called 'youth' COULD and WOULD so-call 'raise' "themselves" FAR BETTER and FAR MORE SUCCESSFULLY than 'you', adulterated people, COULD and HAVE.

So...what you just said...and there is no other possible interpretation of your statement...is that you would prefer babies raised by children than adults. I assume you did not actually mean what you just said and that the problem is that you didn't phrase yourself appropriately.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

one can OBVIOUSLY ONLY 'suffer' while ALIVE. So, if you are HELL BENT on KILLING and DESTROYING a WHOLE GROUP of human beings, or ANY one
"ELSE", then there will be NO 'form of suffering' for that NON EXISTENT GROUP, ANYMORE AT ALL.

I agree. That's why I have many of the goals I do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, one can ONLY grant so-called 'free will' WITH and FROM so-called 'greater knowledge', right?

If yes, then this MEANS that NO new born has 'free will' correct?

And it is ONLY through evolution, itself, that 'you', human beings, are GAINING MORE and MORE 'free will' as 'you', SUPPOSEDLY, GAIN GREATER and GREATER 'knowledge', along the way, true?

I would say that it's ever-increasing knowledge that grants us more free will. I don't think that requires evolution, except for social evolution and the evolution of ideas. I think evolution tends to have a lot to do with us gaining more free will...which would have very little to do with genetic evolution and very much to do with social evolution, the evolution of society, the evolution of ideas and ways of thinking, and if we're around for long enough, I'm assuming genetic engineering could quite possibly end up having much more to do with genetic evolution than what we inherit from our parents.

I won't disagree with your statement though.

And yes, I'd definitely say no new born has free will.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT ALL 'tigers', 'insects', 'amoebas', AND 'new born human infants', for example, KNOW what 'they' WANT 'out of life'.

It is ONLY 'you', adult human beings, how have BECOME LOST and CONFUSED in 'this' regard.

Okay...let's do a thought experiment here. You're dropped onto an alien planet. You know you're hungry. You know you're thirsty. You know your free will says that you don't like this sensation of hunger and thirst and you want to be rid of it. There are a series of buttons before you. You don't know what they do. You press one of them. It makes a newborn baby. Was that your free will? I assume it wasn't...and in that same way, a lack of knowledge about the world leads to a lack of free will in the areas we're not knowledgeable about. That's why insects, tigers, ameobas, and newborn infants don't know what they want in life, except in simple emotional ways. For example, all except the ameobas and maybe the insects know that when they're hungry they want food. That is what their free will says. Now...why would a tiger necessarily associate sex with the production of cubs? They're two events that happen far apart from each other. In that way, I figure that if the tiger even would think about whether or not it should have cubs...which I don't know why it would in any way comparable to how humans would...it would be pretty comparable to you pressing that button and having a baby pop up. So, in all but the most simple ways its up to we humans to determine what the free will of animals and infants really says to do, because we're going to be better at understanding what they really want than they do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL and 'what' IS so-called 'true language', EXACTLY?

not sure why you said "lol" there. True language would be the ability to use a finite number of symbols to produce a potentially infinite number of meanings. So far only humans have been known to be able to do this...unless there is information about dolphins I've not seen of late...or maybe some other species, but I doubt it.

Language is important. I figure it essentially functions as DNA 2.0. It allows societies to change dramatically with just a few words. It allows much faster changes and adaptation than the slow progress of genetic changes that are responsible for much of the behavioral changes species without language make.

You know the difference between the cities of humans and tribes of chimanzees? That's pretty much just language, and the information we can store and spread that the chimpanzees can't. I kind of wonder if dolphins might have some impressive technologies too...if they have language...but it would all have to be psychological if they do, because they lack hands - social tools and concepts and such.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stated this:
might be as teachable as humans are, but their lack of knowledge about the world, right now, would still lead to fewer risks of suffering caused by destroying them than there would be for most life...and I consider the only relevant goals of anything being increasing pleasure and reducing suffering, so if something gets destroyed in a way that doesn't create suffering, I figure that's not inherently bad.

and in response you stated this:

Okay, BUT, SO WHAT?

What does what 'you', "clinton", here, figure to be so-called 'inherently bad' or not got to do with ANY ACTUAL 'thing', in Life?

It's relevant because I'm talking about whether or not it's okay to destroy certain life forms in certain ways. Keep in mind that, if that's not specific enough...it's because you've been asking about 20 billion questions at once. I've spent several hours on this alone. I'm not going to delve fully into any of views if I'm going to be responding to 20 billion questions at once. I appreciate the opportunity to state my views...but I really was envisioning people who wanted to talk to me discussing one topic at a time. I don't know how you're not going blind when reading all this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stated this: *The improved existences I spoke of would be best defined as better lives because they'd involve more of what the animals would want and less of what they don't want...which would be more pleasure and less suffering...through perhaps, for example, reducing an organism's capacity to experience pain through genetic engineering.

You responded with this: Have 'you', adult human beings, in the days when this is being written, REALLY BECOME SO, what is sometimes called, 'wimpy', that 'you' now SERIOUSLY WANT to REDUCE a 'part' that ACTUALLY makes 'you', human, which are; 'experiences'?

Also, IMAGINE if 'you' REDUCED the capacity to experience pain, in let us say 'a foot' here, so much that you just kept walking around with a broken ankle. Now, HOW WELL do 'you' IMAGINE that 'this' would do FOR 'you'.

EXPERIENCE 'pain' IS a PART of 'life' AND 'living', AND a VERY NECESSARY PART I WILL ADD here.

Your broken foot example is one reason why it would be my preference to destroy life rather than make it experience less pain.
However, a third path could be to essentially make all life into our pets, more or less, sterilizing various animals and only driving the predators into extinction so that they don't overpopulate, and euthanizing them when they they reach a point of sufficient suffering.
I figure if you still feel impressive pain from a broken foot, just not as much pain, you'd still quite possibly avoid walking on your foot though. I don't know how the specifics would work yet. Maybe we could either genetically engineer some kind of substitute motivation that doesn't feel painful at all, but still motivates animals to not walk on the broken foot. I salute you for considering that though.

Regarding your statement about reducing that which makes us human being bad...I think that's a very seriously harmful thought process. What's so great about being human? I think I'd rather be a cyborg that lives for thousands of years, can operate a computer with my mind, and replace faulty organs with even more machines. I think it's very dangerous to perceive that which is natural or traditional as automatically good. That's because mother nature is a mindless witch who cares only about us procreating. She made the octopus that dies when it procreates. The instincts she put in us are not necessarily any kinder to us than to the octopus.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT WHY WOULD ANY Truly 'intelligent animal or species' REALLY WANT TO DESTROY ANY OTHER animal or species?

What ACTUAL PURPOSE in Life would there FOR DOING SO?

To help them see my above comment comparing the natural world to a bunch of retarded people tossed into the wilderness and left to fend for themselves - cannibalizing and having sex with each other. Also, this question of yours' reveals a major problem I'd say much of society has: You perceive death as inherently negative, it seems. In reality, I'd say it's neutral, and because you don't see things that way, your perspective can harm life you believe are being helped by keeping them alive.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHY would ANY SANE person even WANT TO 'consider' such 'things' AS 'this', LET ALONE TALK ABOUT 'them' IN 'private' with "another", let alone IN PUBLIC?

Well...why I want to talk about my views to everybody else is because I think society has a lot of other problems I could solve through my ideas...such as Nazism and at least certain forms of pedophelia and maybe even inspire clinically diagnosed psychopaths to behave better. My worldview treats all life as part of each other. It says that it's our duty to assist each other, and I think it does it through logic. Because it does it through logic, I would hope that it could motivate even people without consciences to behave better...such as psychopaths. An unavoidable part of logic of my worldview involves all this advocation of destruction. Everyone who understands the math of my worldview should inevitably agree about the aspects that advocate destruction too, I think.

Why I might wonder if other people are interested in talking about my views is the same reason you are. People like trying to convince other people to see the truth oftentimes, which I'd hope is why you're talking to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But WHO CARES what 'you' WANT?

If you HAVE a sound AND valid argument for some 'thing' here, then I suggest providing 'it'.

Otherwise, if you do NOT have a sound AND valid argument for what 'you' WANT, then I suggest NOT TELLING 'us' what 'you' WANT.

You're behaving strangely here. You should expect me to only provide a brief glimpse into my ideas when discussing 20 billion topics with me at once. Obviously, I'm probably not going to want to spend the energy proving much. Again, I thank you for the opportunity to discuss my views...but I'm at almost 7,000 words now. I don't intend to write a novel here in this one post. If you want a deep dive into a specific topic...I need to you to be willing to spend much more time writing specific enough of well-thought out questions that convince me I should more time on them, and focusing on one topic at a time could help.

Regarding your question about "who cares what you want." Apparently you did. I was responding to your statements. Make better statements if you want better answers. I've spent hours on this. Many of your questions have been brief, unclear, and poorly thought out. You've got no right to complain.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, 'your' preference here is to DESTROY 'this planet' and ALL the OTHER life forms on it, and then FLEE, while LOOKING FOR somewhere ELSE to INHABIT, and DESTROY, and then FLEE AGAIN, after DESTROYING EVERY 'thing', and then LOOK FOR somewhere ELSE to INHABIT, and TO, AGAIN, DESTROY ALL, and then REPEAT, and RE-REPEAT, AGAIN, correct?

if yes, then could I just ASK, WHY, EXACTLY?

No...we wouldn't necessarily inhabit new planets. Ideally, we'd just find new planets specifically to destroy the unintelligent life on them.
(see my thoughts comparing the natural world to a bunch of retarded people tossed into the wilderness to have sex with and cannibalize each other)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well 'you' are PROVING 'this' IRREFUTABLY True with 'preferences' like 'YOURS" above here.

says the person who believes children raising babies would be better than adults raising them like you said you did above :mrgreen:

Well if one's preference is to FLEE 'one's home', AND to DESTROY ALL life on 'that home', then 'this' is CERTAINLY NOT 'benevolent', NOR 'wise', AT ALL, CLEARLY and OBVIOUSLY

And I noticed you didn't even make the attempt to explain why. My goal is to help people. I've thought carefully about how to do this. You've not. So far as I can tell, your moral code is rooted much more in your impulses than mine. You trust Mother Nature/instincts too much...the ancient witch who made it so octopuses die when they procreate. We should be teaching people to ignore those instincts, and think using logic instead.

If you have a reason for not wanting to destroy the types of life forms I've been talking about...what is it? Simply saying I'm obviously wrong is quite weak. It's like saying nothing at all...but also suggesting that you have no real response.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stated this: This is for a few reasons. Over time, we should develop progressively more knowledgeable sociologists and psychologists. Over time, I would not be surprised if we'd have progressively fewer problems with basic resource shortages through perpetually researching how to produce or obtain them, which means less desperate theft. Over time, I would not be surprised if we climb progressively higher up Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and become progressively more interested in the self-actualization top of the pyramid. That suggests to me our descendants would become progressively more interested in ethics, and I believe there is an enormous, utilitarian and hedonistic math formula embedded into the laws of nature that intelligent species discover progressively more of the more they learn about reality, and discovering what that math formula says to do could provide species with an endless sense of purpose, and because we crave purpose, and endless motivation to keep becoming more benevolent.

You responded with this:

When this is being written, do 'you' REALLY NOT YET KNOW what 'your purpose is, EXACTLY, nor what 'the purpose' of 'life' IS, EXACTLY?

My response is: That has little to do with that paragraph. It mentioned people craving a sense of purpose, which the utilitarian math formula would, or at least could provide, I think.

However, I do believe I know what the purpose of life is: Maximize pleasure and minimize suffering. I don't know what other purpose life could have. Actually, I'm quite certain any other purpose beyond that is impossible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stated this: I believe this math formula tells life to maximize pleasure and minimize suffering for all feeling life throughout all life throughout all of time.

You responded: Yet, and VERY CONTRADICTORY, 'your preference' is to END ALL life on earth, and FLEEING, or RUNNING AWAY.

My response is: can not ending life reduce suffering? Life is no longer suffering if it's not alive.
Also...going back to my very important above comparison of the natural world to a bunch of retarded people being tossed into the wilderness to cannibalize and have sex with each other...if you think of all that suffering they're going through, you've got the option of either stopping that, or letting that cannibalistic severely retarded person orgy continue for billions of years if you don't stop it. I'm not going to get any more graphic...but the more disturbing that vision is, the more accurate it's going to be. As I see it, the natural world is a nightmare scenario, and humans have created a rare island of civility above the chaos.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And 'you', adult human beings, in the days when this is being written, are DOING what BECOMES 'universally condemned'.

No it's not. Mercy killing is not exactly a new idea. We have it for pets who are old and suffering. Also, I have no idea why you're talking about "adult human beings," when it seems like you're just talking to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe the purpose of life is to maximize pleasure and minimize suffering.

Okay. WHY would 'you' BELIEVE such a 'thing' as 'this'?

That's called hedonism, and the specific way I want to do that is through my brand of utilitarianism. I want to maximize pleasure and minimize suffering because that's the only thing any life form cares about, or can care about, so far as I can tell. Of course, the phrase "maximize pleasure and minimize suffering" implies that all pleasure is to be maximized and all suffering is to be minimized, and I want to maximize pleasure and minimize suffering for organisms aside from myself for empathetic reasons. I look at it like, if pain feels bad to me, and pleasure feels good to me, those things feel pretty similar to other organisms, so I'm a hypocrite if I don't care about increasing their pleasure and reducing their suffering. The next series of questions involves how to do that...which is much more complex and brings me to a whole lot of utilitarian calculus, leading to many of the concepts I've thought up so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND, I could minimize 'your suffering', ALSO, by ENDING 'your life', AS WELL.

I would then "justify" 'this DOING, by just saying something like; I BELIEVE the purpose of life is to maximize pleasure and minimize suffering, AND I just maximized MY pleasure, by minimizing YOUR suffering COMPLETELY.

I approve of you bringing this up. That's good thinking.
That might minimize my suffering...possibly. That's not the most important factor in this though. The much more important factor is that we have to stop murderers or else society will collapse into panic and terror...which is partly a problem due to the fear it creates, but also a problem because it would presumably slow down the time it takes for humanity to spread into space and begin destroying unintelligent life, because a collapsed society isn't producing much technology.

(That's kind of weird...ain't it? The idea that the main reason why murder is bad is because it makes it take longer for us to destroy other life? Still, that's why I donate platelets frequently. That's the source of most good things I do. I want to strengthen the bonds of trust holding society together so society becomes less likely to collapse so we can expand into space and destroy life forms faster. I think that's the most important duty of humanity - without us, life all over the universe may be forced to endure billions of years of being forced into Darwinian gladiatorial arenas by parents that have no capacity to think about whether or not they should)

However, there are also other secondary factors to consider too. The murder would cause fear and pain in the people around me. We don't know if that would be greater than any suffering you save me from having to experience, even if I die in my sleep. Also, I wonder if there is some kind of threshold where, unless you're experiencing a life that involves enough suffering that your happiness level overall drops below that level of suffering, there is no reason to end your life, even painlessly, even if you have lived all your life in solitude. I strongly suspect there would be...because that's what life feels like to me, and when it comes down to it, feelings are really what tell us whether our life is worth living or not in many ways, and I don't feel like my life would ideally end.

Futhermore, I could be contributing to society and my loss could lead to an increase in suffering for others that is greater than you'd prevent me from experiencing. I've been donating platelets oftentimes of late, for example. Without me there might have been more people on waiting lists to get treatments who might have developed more problems otherwise.

WHY do you NOT BELIEVE that ALL abortions can ACTUALLY assist the unborn?

Because abortions in later stages of pregnancy can...at least possibly...cause pain. Some people seem to believe (last I checked) that fetuses won't be able to feel pain until quite late into the pregnancy, but there seems to be disagreement about that. It's only before they cause pain when I'd say it's probably helpful...because before they cause pain there are no downsides to them, but they help a mother avoid a situation she didn't want, and a child grow up into some life with some disadvantage over what it could have been due to having a mother that wanted an abortion for whatever reason she had for wanting one that would have likely negatively impacted the child's life.

There are people who believe the creation of all life is morally wrong. I'm not one of them. Part of my reasoning for that is my knowledge that creating new life can assist existing life. However, another part of my reasoning is that...while I see no reason to create new life unless it assists existing life, I'm not sure that it's a bad thing to create new life even if that new life is merely neutral to existing life...because at root, the only thing that can make life not worth living is how we feel about it, and my life doesn't feel like it's not worth living. I may change my mind if I ever experience something quite traumatic, but I've not yet experienced anything that traumatic.

I will emphasize that not getting an abortion, if the fetus is at a state before it can feel pain, cannot help the fetus though...at least not unless there would be some kind of other unpleasant sensation that wouldn't be described as pain. I don't know what that would be, and I wonder if that would be best described as pain too....it does seem like oftentimes people define any unpleasant sensation as pain. Sometimes it's just more psychological or emotional types of pain...or unpleasant sensations like queasiness that might be loosely described as a sort of pain.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stated this:
By "death" I mean the death of the body of an organism.

You responded with:
But WHEN is 'that', EXACTLY, to you?

The ACTUAL 'death of the body', to 'us', may be well way AFTER, or way BEFORE, to 'you', correct?

Here's one definition of death that I think works pretty well: Commission for the Study of Ethical Problems in Medicine and Biomedical and Behavioral Research issued a report on defining death which called for a uniform definition of death based on a ‘total brain’ standard. This standard defines death as the death of the entire brain of a person.

I think most people have a pretty solid idea of what death is though. I do think it's possible to live on after death though in various degrees...with it being pretty much identical to you living on in your original body if your new body has memories that are nearly identical to the ones you had. I don't think my specific definition of death is especially important. What's important is that I think you can live on after your body dies...and that your body can die without you dying. For example, imagine that Bob has cancer. Bob clones himself, ages his clone up to adulthood, copies his memories into his clone's body, then goes to sleep and has a machine euthanize him in his sleep. In that scenario, I figure Bob's physical body has died, but Bob's still alive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You stated the below comment in response (I think) to my view that the most common view of death is the death of the body.

LOL But 'that' is one of the MOST ABSURD and Truly RIDICULOUS 'views'.

Also, HOW, EXACTLY, did 'you' ARRIVE at the CONCLUSION that 'that view' was the so-called 'most common default view'?

Yeah...come to think of it the above definition of death that refers to the death of the entire brain. That's probably more common.

Thanks for the comments. Keep in mind that the reason why this is so long is because you asked and made comments on about 20 billion different things rather than focusing on one topic at a time. Also, keep in mind that it'll be perfectly reasonable for me to ignore comments that don't seem especially relevant or well-thought out, or even if I don't feel like answering them no matter how well thought out they are, given all the different topics you're delving into here at once. :mrgreen: