rationality subsumes open-mindedness

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

rationality subsumes open-mindedness

Post by Advocate »

There's no reason to consider yourself open-minded if you consider yourself rational.

Rationality includes accepting any evidence as appropriate.
Open-mindedness only means not having overly restrictive filters.
ThinkOfOne

Re: rationality subsumes open-mindedness

Post by ThinkOfOne »

Advocate wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:09 pm There's no reason to consider yourself open-minded if you consider yourself rational.

Actually rationality includes accepting reasonable evidence as appropriate.

If by "open-mindedness" you include holding irrational beliefs, then that would preclude the rational from being "open-minded". Stated in a more straightforward and reasonable way, your point seems to be that "rationality precludes irrationality". That's really deep.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Advocate wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:09 pm There's no reason to consider yourself open-minded if you consider yourself rational.

This is all rather subjective.
In my experience "open minded" is used by people trying to defend the indefensible by claiming they have an open mind, and that those that do not accpet the unacceptible and not having an open mind.
Last time I was accused of not having an open mind was when I was offered a homeopathic "remedy", which was effectively a pill of chalk with no other content.
So here the devil would be in deciding what is and what is not "overly" restrictive.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Divine!

🖖

The Advocate is on a roll (the third demo of his extraordinary philosophical skills).

Follow the smell. Where does it take ya, mon ami?

Please download me at the next pharmacy. 😁
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

I get the idea here and I think it makes sense.
If you are rational, then you are open to having your mind changed via reasoning. The reasoning of others, your own reasoning. Being presented evidence against your beliefs. So you are open to change.

Of course one can think one is rational and openminded (and even be these things about some areas of knowledge) and not be in (other) areas of knowledge.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

There's no reason to consider the two mutually exclusive.

What falls within the bounds of appropriateness for rationality could also fall with the bounds of not being overly-restrictive for open-mindedness.

In fact one could say that having overly-restrictive; as well as insufficiently-restrictive filters precludes one from being rational.
Last edited by Skepdick on Mon May 08, 2023 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:03 pm This is all rather subjective.
In my experience "open minded" is used by people trying to defend the indefensible by claiming they have an open mind, and that those that do not accpet the unacceptible and not having an open mind.
Last time I was accused of not having an open mind was when I was offered a homeopathic "remedy", which was effectively a pill of chalk with no other content.
So here the devil would be in deciding what is and what is not "overly" restrictive.
So the devil in your counter-argument isn't deciding what is and what is not "defensible"?
So the devil in your counter-argument isn't deciding what is and what is not "acceptable"?

Post by Age »

Does so-called 'rationality' here take into account what constitutes ACTUAL 'evidence', as appropriate, or does 'rationality' just accept ANY 'evidence', as appropriate?
Advocate wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:09 pm Open-mindedness only means not having overly restrictive filters.
So, so-called 'open-mindedness' can include those WITH 'restrictive filters', right?

Post by Age »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:35 am

I get the idea here and I think it makes sense.
If you are rational, then you are open to having your mind changed via reasoning.
LOL IF one WAS Truly RATIONAL, THEN they would NEVER have made A DECISION ON or ABOUT some 'thing', which COULD BE False, Wrong, or Incorrect anyway, and thus NEEDED CHANGING ANYWAY.
Iwannaplato wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:35 am
The reasoning of others, your own reasoning. Being presented evidence against your beliefs. So you are open to change.
LOL WHEN one is Truly OPEN, then they do NOT have NOR form BELIEFS.

I could PRESENT ACTUAL IRREFUTABLE PROOF, let alone just INSIGNIFICANT EVIDENCE, to ANY one of 'you' that go AGAINST your BELIEFS, and I WILL SHOW and PROVE, to "others", how ABSOLUTELY NONE of 'you' are BEING RATIONAL WHILE HAVING or HOLDING 'ANY BELIEF'.
Iwannaplato wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:35 am Of course one can think one is rational and openminded (and even be these things about some areas of knowledge) and not be in (other) areas of knowledge.
VERY True, just like, OF COURSE, one can think one is rational and so-called open-minded, BUT STILL NOT ACTUALLY BE NEITHER.

Post by Age »

Skepdick wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:03 am

There's no reason to consider the two mutually exclusive.

What falls within the bounds of appropriateness for rationality could also fall with the bounds of not being overly-restrictive for open-mindedness.

In fact one could say that having overly-restrictive; as well as insufficiently-restrictive filters precludes one from being rational.
VERY True, and A VERY GOOD POINT AS WELL.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Age post_id=640325 time=1683553945 user_id=16237]
[quote=Advocate post_id=640181 time=1683475768 user_id=15238]
There's no reason to consider yourself open-minded if you consider yourself rational.

Rationality includes accepting any evidence as appropriate.[/quote]

Does so-called 'rationality' here take into account what constitutes ACTUAL 'evidence', as appropriate, or does 'rationality' just accept ANY 'evidence', as appropriate?
[quote=Advocate post_id=640181 time=1683475768 user_id=15238]
[/quote]

So, so-called 'open-mindedness' can include those WITH 'restrictive filters', right?
[/quote]

as appropriate = to the extent it is appropriate
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Openmindedness is associated with creativity.
So the interesting thing is you might have net gains, if you are very openminded, but also get fooled.
IOW getting fooled isn't necessarily bad. If you come up with a bunch of every useful stuff, but also fall for some cons, you might very well contribute you all sorts of fields, while seeming merely gullible on some occasions.