Descartes’s Method of Doubt by Janet Broughton

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Descartes’s Method of Doubt by Janet Broughton

Post by Philosophy Now »

Harry Bracken frets about Janet Broughton’s non-historical book on Descartes’ ideas.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/43/Descartess_Method_of_Doubt_by_Janet_Broughton
attofishpi

Re: Descartes’s Method of Doubt by Janet Broughton

Post by attofishpi »

Rick Lewis wrote:Nonetheless, so far as I know nobody has ever pointed out that you only need to swap around two letters in ‘Descartes’ to get the name ‘Descrates’, which sounds much more like an ancient Greek philosopher (Socrates’ long-lost brother?) than a French one. But I digress.
That's the spirit. :lol:

If you remove the IT from BRITAIN you get BRAIN (You can then also get Great Brian!) :)

Ancasta - UK & Ireland

www.androcies.com

Rick Lewis wrote: Having thus established the fact of his own existence, he went on to argue that as he had in his mind a clear and distinct idea of a perfect, benevolent Being, an idea too great to have originated within him, therefore God must exist, and that because God existed, and was benevolent, and therefore wouldn’t play mean tricks on poor René, therefore most of the world that appeared to his senses must be real too. In this way, Descartes’ method of doubt brought him from scepticism to certainty.
Well, he screwed up there!
Agent Smith

Re: Descartes’s Method of Doubt by Janet Broughton

Post by Agent Smith »

I suggest that we read, vewy vewy closely, the original works of Descartes. As I see it, every, every, word, even the punctuations probably, needs to be tracked with extreme care and ... caution. Bonam Fortunam.