Hello from Canada!

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Roger Davidson

Hello from Canada!

Post by Roger Davidson »

Hello,

I'm a 46-year old Scotsman who lives in Canada. I first studied philosophy at Glasgow University, and was especially interested in the existentialists and phenomenologists back then - Nietzsche and Heidegger in particular. I did a Masters later on and took a course in Levinas, and around that time I actually published a populist article about Levinas and Heidegger - the only thing I've published on philosophy!: https://newhumanist.org.uk/articles/178 ... ce-to-face

More recently, I've been working as a mental health counsellor at Queen's University in Ontario, and I've found myself getting back into philosophy, reading Kant, Hegel, Plotinus, and Kierkegaard.

I'm looking forward to join an enthusiastic, positive philosophy community, discuss and learn more about the great subject, and try to make it more of a way of life again as I get older...

Looking forward to chatting and trying to make sense of it all!

Roger Davidson
Agent Smith

Re: Hello from Canada!

Post by Agent Smith »

Hi there! "Welcome", said 1 to 3, "welcome!"
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Roger, welcome to the bear garden that is the Philosophy Now Forum!

If you are looking for the warm companionship of like minds, I can confidently predict you will not find it here. Here we have a collection of competitive egos, few of whom are capable either of sustaining a proper argument or of recognising when they have been met with a better one. The result can be exasperating and dispiriting, and you may find that you lose the appetite for it and stop visiting. Or you may find that you can ignore the chaff and the flack, and focus on the purveyors of worth—maybe half a dozen honest thinkers—who will treat you with respect and whom you will come to respect in return.

I've been coming here since I was in kindergarten. I'm glad you made it.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Roger Davidson wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:57 am Hello,

I'm a 46-year old Scotsman who lives in Canada. I first studied philosophy at Glasgow University, and was especially interested in the existentialists and phenomenologists back then - Nietzsche and Heidegger in particular. I did a Masters later on and took a course in Levinas, and around that time I actually published a populist article about Levinas and Heidegger - the only thing I've published on philosophy!: https://newhumanist.org.uk/articles/178 ... ce-to-face

More recently, I've been working as a mental health counsellor at Queen's University in Ontario, and I've found myself getting back into philosophy, reading Kant, Hegel, Plotinus, and Kierkegaard.

I'm looking forward to join an enthusiastic, positive philosophy community, discuss and learn more about the great subject, and try to make it more of a way of life again as I get older...

Looking forward to chatting and trying to make sense of it all!

Roger Davidson
Brief but interesting bio. Welcome to the forum. If you'd be interested in a discussion, what is your understanding of what mental "health" means? Can negativity ever be "healthy"? How does "health" vs. "sickness" relate to or differ from things like "good vs. evil" or "good vs. bad" (for example)?

What is the purpose of spreading mental "health" and how is spreading it best achieved?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Looking forward to chatting and trying to make sense of it all!"

Roger that, Davidson. But you're the one with the Masters so u go first.

I have a PhD (post hole digger) but I use that when building decks not when philosophizin.

However, like a deck, a philosopher needs a solid footing. And I know all about solid footings bro. I'm like the Bob Vila of philosophy.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Canada is a tourist hotspot this time of the year, si?
The bright colors of the maple tree
I wish I could see
In me
V
RuthScott

Post by RuthScott »

hello and welcome