Annoying movie cliches

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Annoying movie cliches

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Top of my list would be when car occupants are 'singing' at the top of their lungs to whatever crap is on the radio. Does ANYONE actually do that (any sane, still living person)?

I do realise that this self-identifying adult human female is probably the most annoying human being who ever existed but there are plenty of other examples in pretty much every crappy American film ever made (and even some of the uncrappy ones).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JDpjGN ... All-Access

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djgxGAz ... xclusiveHD

Jeff Bridges has the decency to just smoke weed and shut up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo11SqL ... ostyle1000
Iwannaplato

Re: Annoying movie cliches

Post by Iwannaplato »

Running through the airport to express love, everyone applauds
Immoral but goodhearted cop. Sure, he wasn't so available as husband and father but man, in this world, do we need his violence, close up of wife's/children's realization faces when rescued or watching his glorious, necessary violence.
There is a great website with hundreds of cliches - which they refer to as tropes or devices. It's called TV tropes, but they cover all the cliches in movies also.
https://tvtropes.org/
It's a bit annoying navigating the website, but people can check out lists like this one on narrative devices...
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... iveDevices
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Guns. Guns are in all American movies, even You've got mail the entire plot would have failed if it wasn't for an AK-47.

But what really REALLY pisses me off...and it happened in a recent 'blockbuster' that I can't remember prolly cos I was a few ales in..

When there is this ridiculous stand-off -(AND IT HAPPENS IN LOADS OF MOVIES) where two people stood about 3 metres apart both have a gun pointed directly at the other, and they hate each other, but they feel they need to negotiate or 'something' might go wrong. YA. THE GUY THAT PULLS THE TRIGGER WINS FFS!!!!
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:56 am Guns. Guns are in all American movies, even You've got mail the entire plot would have failed if it wasn't for an AK-47.

But what really REALLY pisses me off...and it happened in a recent 'blockbuster' that I can't remember prolly cos I was a few ales in..

When there is this ridiculous stand-off -(AND IT HAPPENS IN LOADS OF MOVIES) where two people stood about 3 metres apart both have a gun pointed directly at the other, and they hate each other, but they feel they need to negotiate or 'something' might go wrong. YA. THE GUY THAT PULLS THE TRIGGER WINS FFS!!!!
Or when the 'baddies' are worse 'shots' than a blind, deaf person yet the 'goodies' never miss...
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:59 am
attofishpi wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:56 am Guns. Guns are in all American movies, even You've got mail the entire plot would have failed if it wasn't for an AK-47.

Or when the 'baddies' are worse 'shots' than a blind, deaf person yet the 'goodies' never miss...
Oh...I've never seen a film where that happens and I started watching films since the 70s - like Star Wars etc..those storm troopers just couldn't aim straight because of their daft helmets.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

I had a friend who had an uncanny ability to spot unintentional mistakes in props and scene sequences in movies. For example the car gets riddled with bullets in one scene and then a minute later the windshield no longer has bullet holes in it, etc. So they shot that scene before they put bullet holes in the windshield and forgot. Lol. Stuff like that... but that's an easy one. Ryan would see cereal boxes and shit rearranged on shelves or the actor has a different pair of shoes on. Subtle stuff normal people never notice. We'd rewind the tape and he'd be like 'see, that bicycle isn't leaning on the lamp post anymore' or sumthin like that.

Producers notice it too but if the mistake is subtle enough they use the shot rather than take it again.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

The busy, single mom, career woman rushing around getting her kid ready for school, while trying to feed him a plate of syrupy pancakes stacked up to the ceiling, breakfast scene. Actually, any American breakfast scene. :|
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:16 pm The busy, single mom, career woman rushing around getting her kid ready for school, while trying to feed him a plate of syrupy pancakes stacked up to the ceiling, breakfast scene. Actually, any American breakfast scene. :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx9wmca6HtE

some eat better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eREiQhBDIk

some don't...

-Imp
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:16 pm The busy, single mom, career woman rushing around getting her kid ready for school, while trying to feed him a plate of syrupy pancakes stacked up to the ceiling, breakfast scene. Actually, any American breakfast scene. :|
Yes! And everyone rushing around like lunatics, talking over the top of each other, falling over the dog, noise and chaos everwhere. Plus, no one EVER washes all that food off their hands (or gets injured falling over the dog).
Actually anything to do with food is annoying. No one ever finishes a meal, especially in restaurants. In fact they barely start it before storming off/getting an urgent phone call... Heck. Every detective/doctor would starve to death.
Another fairly new trend is actors saying their lines with their mouth stuffed full of food, or walking around and stuffing their face at the same time --presumably to show how 'busy' the character is.
vegetariantaxidermy

'Annoying' doesn't even begin to describe the whispering trend, where actors think that saying everything in a whisper conveys intensity and menace. Umm no, it conveys bad acting and pretentious wankiness. No one appreciates having to keep activating subtitles to find out what the fuck the person just said.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:10 pm Yes! And everyone rushing around like lunatics, talking over the top of each other, falling over the dog, noise and chaos everwhere. Plus, no one EVER washes all that food off their hands (or gets injured falling over the dog).
Actually anything to do with food is annoying. No one ever finishes a meal, especially in restaurants. In fact they barely start it before storming off/getting an urgent phone call... Heck. Every detective/doctor would starve to death.
Another fairly new trend is actors saying their lines with their mouth stuffed full of food, or walking around and stuffing their face at the same time --presumably to show how 'busy' the character is.
I would love to watch an American movie with you, VT, we would have a fantastic time. :)
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

when different agencies show up to the crime scene and then the whole dramatic argument over who's jurisdiction it is ensues, resulting in a few harsh words exchanged between the old seasoned sheriff and the young inexperienced DEA agent. Maybe some pushing and shoving too.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:20 pm 'Annoying' doesn't even begin to describe the whispering trend, where actors think that saying everything in a whisper conveys intensity and menace. Umm no, it conveys bad acting and pretentious wankiness. No one appreciates having to keep activating subtitles to find out what the fuck the person just said.
You might just need new batteries for your hearing aid.
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:04 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:20 pm 'Annoying' doesn't even begin to describe the whispering trend, where actors think that saying everything in a whisper conveys intensity and menace. Umm no, it conveys bad acting and pretentious wankiness. No one appreciates having to keep activating subtitles to find out what the fuck the person just said.
I don't have/need a hearing aid. You might need liposuction for that chin.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:39 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:04 am
I don't have/need a hearing aid. You might need liposuction for that chin.
How's that going to make me enjoy movies more?

There's no issue with my chin, some girls like getting a gob full of that stuff..