What is an Atheist?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: What is an Atheist?

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:54 am “There’s no way to prove that there is no God. You just have to take it on faith.”

— Woody Allen

:)
Rubbish! (re Faith on that)

It's a tautology, one can never prove there is no God, since it would require knowing everything about the universe and possibly multiverse, and EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING - impossible!

(I know some academic philosophers are going to tell me it's not a tautology, but I have always wanted to use that word)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:05 am
Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:54 am “There’s no way to prove that there is no God. You just have to take it on faith.”

— Woody Allen

It's a tautology, one can never prove there is no God, since it would require knowing everything about the universe and possibly multiverse, and EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING - impossible!

(I know some academic philosophers are going to tell me it's not a tautology, but I have always wanted to use that word)
Well I'm not a philosopher, so all I am going to tell you is that it's a joke.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:09 am
attofishpi wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:05 am

— Woody Allen

Well I'm not a philosopher, so all I am going to tell you is that it's a joke.
Yes Harbal me ol' chum, I was certain you as I also am not of one of the supreme beings of thought, one of those that think thinking is more honest than a bloody hard days yakka! ..so knew I was safe with ..."tautology" ..with you...unless u want some? hey? well do ya? uwot?

All this talk of Elton's death, and nobody around here gives a flying duck about the loss of uwot.

uwot, if you are listening (ok reading ffs) I promise to solemnly respect your reincarnation as, that of thy parent's choosing of names. (it's important that we keep your future aspirations as an online broadcaster, podcaster etc...to the utmost...<something that fits here>...I am shit with words.
(WILCO) will have to do.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Harbal,

Faith is the DUH factor, at least when considering the anthropomorphic gods. It is apparent that we all belong to something larger than ourselves but living in a fantasyland is not healthy, not for the species at large.
Last edited by popeye1945 on Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

popeye1945 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:48 am Harbal,

Faith is the DUH factor, at least when considering the anthropomorphic gods. It is apparent that we all belong to something larger than ourselves but living in a fantasyland is not healthy.
I just came across the quote, and I thought it was funny, so I posted it. I wasn't trying to impart any profound truth.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:58 am
popeye1945 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:48 am Harbal,

Faith is the DUH factor, at least when considering the anthropomorphic gods. It is apparent that we all belong to something larger than ourselves but living in a fantasyland is not healthy.
I just came across the quote, and I thought it was funny, so I posted it. I wasn't trying to impart any profound truth.
wtf? I had no idea. You do understand that this is a philosophy forum Harbal, right? Humour around here (although the USAdians are tucked up in bed, so normally, now is the time to talk serious and ironically satirically about life)...so humour on this forum, sinks like the richest bitch on the bow of the Titanic has just thrown the largest ice-cube from her gin and tonic overboard, thus sinking the ship that sailed from my hometown :P

..I know that's not funny, shove off. Gonna work on some new material that even Australian bogans can comprehend next time I stand in front of a bunch of them in an attempt to make them laugh.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:30 am You do understand that this is a philosophy forum Harbal, right?
If I have broken a rule by posting a joke on a philosophy forum, that is simply one more reason for posting it. :wink:
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:42 am
attofishpi wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:30 am You do understand that this is a philosophy forum Harbal, right?
If I have broken a rule by posting a joke on a philosophy forum, that is simply one more reason for posting it. :wink:
attofishpi,

Stop being an asshole.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

popeye1945 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:56 am
Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:42 am
attofishpi,

Stop being an asshole.
Sure, let me know when you have enough capacity in your brain to comprehend humour between two Englishmen. (attempt to comprehend the concept of "irony")

Read the entirety of the post you simple fuckwit *woops* before making a poor assessment.

btw. The word U should be looking for is ARSEhole - no matter how much you want to fuck an animal called an ass.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

My sincere apologies!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

popeye1945 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:54 am My sincere apologies!
Well, I'm impressed Poppy...I have to admit since getting up this morning this particular post of mine above has been gnawing at me, as in should I apologise, delete etc.. (I do find it too funny to delete though!...and this is not the first time you've had my wrath for what I see as a valid dealth of wrath.)

(dealth doesn't exist in the dictionary, well it should have been invented by Shakespeare or that other bloke)

So.

I apologise for being so nasty and am certain you are not into ass in the way I suggested. Also, Harbal is an English gentleman, whereas I'm a lout, I blame circumstances of locations, and Aussie bogans too, so Harbal would be rather displeased with my response to you also.

I'm pretty sure you are from the UK arn't you?
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:57 am
popeye1945 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:54 am My sincere apologies!
Well, I'm impressed Poppy...I have to admit since getting up this morning this particular post of mine above has been gnawing at me, as in should I apologise, delete etc.. (I do find it too funny to delete though!...and this is not the first time you've had my wrath for what I see as a valid dealth of wrath.)

(dealth doesn't exist in the dictionary, well it should have been invented by Shakespeare or that other bloke)

So.

I apologise for being so nasty and am certain you are not into ass in the way I suggested. Also, Harbal is an English gentleman, whereas I'm a lout, I blame circumstances of locations, and Aussie bogans too, so Harbal would be rather displeased with my response to you also.

I'm pretty sure you are from the UK arn't you?
I am from Canada, Ontario to be more precise, the center of the world. I figured your response was a kneejerk response do it all the time myself. In this type of forum it's easy to offend and easy to be offended, one needs to cut the other fellow a bit of slack. all the best!!