to grok spirit

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

to grok spirit

Post by Advocate »

The spirit of something is it's overall definition- the sense of it in all the relevant ways and minds; what it is and what it is felt to be.

The place where highway robbers hang out under bridges can meaningfully be said a place where evil spirits live.

Spirit is not meaningful as an unembodied personification of mind. That's just fiction.
Maia

Re: to grok spirit

Post by Maia »

Advocate wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:46 pm The spirit of something is it's overall definition- the sense of it in all the relevant ways and minds; what it is and what it is felt to be.

The place where highway robbers hang out under bridges can meaningfully be said a place where evil spirits live.

Spirit is not meaningful as an unembodied personification of mind. That's just fiction.
I would say that the spirit of something is its animating principle, or life force.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Maia wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:51 pm
Advocate wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:46 pm The spirit of something is it's overall definition- the sense of it in all the relevant ways and minds; what it is and what it is felt to be.

I would say that the spirit of something is its animating principle, or life force.
Spirit is the essence of a thing devoid of its physical boundaries.
Maia

Post by Maia »

commonsense wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:30 pm
Maia wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:51 pm

Spirit is the essence of a thing devoid of its physical boundaries.
It's what makes something what it is, though I'm not sure if this can exist independently.