Religion is like alcoholism

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Religion is like alcoholism

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:56 am

This is just because of what you have experienced with alcoholism. As absolutely everything is relative to the observer, the way one looks at things makes them funny or not. For example when you are an "alcoholic" this can be extremely funny at times. And the.actual potential for making jokes about religion and alcoholism could be endless, but as the chances of being criticized, ridiculed, and/or even punished for just making jokes or making fun of things, in those days, when this was being written, was continually increasing, the chances of just joking around and having fun about those topics decreased.
Although I'm a lot more caution about what I say in the real world (not anonymously on the internet) I very rarely draw back from making a joke for fear of being criticised here.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:47 pm Only in as much as some of us seem to have a predisposition to be afflicted and some don't. I am lucky; I appear to be immune to both. Having been married to an alcoholic, I feel I am in a position to say that alcoholism is, in most cases, worse than religion, but I can only imagine the misery of being married to a religious alcoholic.

You won't get much sense out of an alcoholic; I suppose that's another thing they have in common. :)
Not being an alcoholic myself, but having been born to the abused children of alcoholics, I know that being an alcoholic is not at all like religion.

A view that it is, is rather shallow, and shows a lack of understanding.

Funny thing. Life has made me so sober that no matter how much I drink, I can't get drunk anymore. Not like when I was young and dumb.

Tequila, salt, and lime is the perfect heat quincher for hot Mexican food that water can't touch, and I like it hot baby.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:55 pm

I can't get drunk anymore. Not like when I was young and dumb.
So now you are older and still dumb, but sober.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:01 pm
Walker wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:55 pm

I can't get drunk anymore. Not like when I was young and dumb.
So now you are older and still dumb, but sober.
I've moved out your shallows, hail fellow well met.

Correction to your occluded sight that has led to defective witnessing ... Older, smarter, and clear as bell, Tinkerbell.

I am literally, just too much.
Just too awesome.

(Sorry if this causes spit-takes and grimmaces. It's hard to be humble, and if you were lucky enough to be me, you would know why.)

:|
Walker

Post by Walker »

- Back in the old days the poor in the Midwest US had to drink well water. Untreated, mineral-rich well-water tastes bad. The children would seek sweet drinks and develop kidney problems. Older folks raised apples and drank the cider.
- Hard cider starting at an early age caused a taste for drunkenness.
- Good people don't drink bad water when good cider is available. I suspect that's true since man first made booze.
- It’s why folks drink so much wine in France. Necessity becomes the culture, and the habit.
- What’s the excuse for meth-heads?

The upshot? That no ones cares is a given. It's a fact oft' repeated, oft' demonstrated. Therefore, the writing serves the need to say just the way things are, knowing there's always more to say.