libertarian double-standards

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

libertarian double-standards

Post by Advocate »

All those who are against the concepts of rights must also be against the concept of responsibility (i'm looking at you, libertarians), because the two are inseparable concepts. If i have the responsibility to do something, that means someone else has the right to expect me to do it. If i have the right to do something that means everyone else has the responsibility to let me do it. The purpose of either is to give us predictive certainty so that we may find actionable certainty and adjust our lives accordingly. There can be no society without the concepts of rights, responsibility, justice, and privilege, and there can be no sustainable society without a trusted and legitimate arbiter of those things who has power above and beyond others in order to enforce them (aka The State).
henry quirk

Re: libertarian double-standards

Post by henry quirk »

Advocate wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:54 pm All those who are against the concepts of rights must also be against the concept of responsibility (i'm looking at you, libertarians), because the two are inseparable concepts. If i have the responsibility to do something, that means someone else has the right to expect me to do it. If i have the right to do something that means everyone else has the responsibility to let me do it. The purpose of either is to give us predictive certainty so that we may find actionable certainty and adjust our lives accordingly. There can be no society without the concepts of rights, responsibility, justice, and privilege, and there can be no sustainable society without a trusted and legitimate arbiter of those things who has power above and beyond others in order to enforce them (aka The State).
in what universe is a libertarian, of any strain, opposed to rights & responsibilities?

libertarians, of any strain, oppose privilege & unjust obligation
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="henry quirk" post_id=478089 time=1604253968 user_id=472]
[quote=Advocate post_id=477948 time=1604177645 user_id=15238]
All those who are against the concepts of rights must also be against the concept of responsibility (i'm looking at you, libertarians), because the two are inseparable concepts. If i have the responsibility to do something, that means someone else has the right to expect me to do it. If i have the right to do something that means everyone else has the responsibility to let me do it. The purpose of either is to give us predictive certainty so that we may find actionable certainty and adjust our lives accordingly. There can be no society without the concepts of rights, responsibility, justice, and privilege, and there can be no sustainable society without a trusted and legitimate arbiter of those things who has power above and beyond others in order to enforce them (aka The State).
[/quote]

in what universe is a libertarian, of any strain, opposed to rights & responsibilities?

libertarians, of any strain, oppose privilege & unjust obligation
[/quote]

Quite a few here of that ilk, perhaps anarchists as well, deny the possibility of rights existing at all. Libertarians seem generally to oppose any framework of understanding that seems constrictive, even conceptually. Your results may vary.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Quite a few here of that ilk, perhaps anarchists as well, deny the possibility of rights existing at all.

seems to me: there are folks here who deny moral fact, which is distinctly different from denyin' rights

best I can tell: all the moral anti-realists are in favor of legal rights

I know of no overt anarchists postin' here

Libertarians seem generally to oppose any framework of understanding that seems constrictive, even conceptually.

this is true, but that's a far cry from declarin' us as favorin' a child's license

no, libertarians from extreme natural rights types like myself, to moderates like gaffo, to the agorists, all recognize rights & responsibilities...

Your results may vary.

not really, no
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

overt anarchists waiting for government checks are far too common...

garden variety anarchists grow like weeds, but I digress...

-Imp
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Advocate wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:54 pm All those who are against the concepts of rights must also be against the concept of responsibility (i'm looking at you, libertarians), because the two are inseparable concepts. If i have the responsibility to do something, that means someone else has the right to expect me to do it. If i have the right to do something that means everyone else has the responsibility to let me do it. The purpose of either is to give us predictive certainty so that we may find actionable certainty and adjust our lives accordingly. There can be no society without the concepts of rights, responsibility, justice, and privilege, and there can be no sustainable society without a trusted and legitimate arbiter of those things who has power above and beyond others in order to enforce them (aka The State).
I know it is difficult for those who have never chosen to be fully responsible individuals, capable of knowing how to live their lives and deal with others to their mutual benefit without some authority standing over them to tell them to be good boys and girls to not think the way you do.

The grownups of the world, who know how to live and actually produce something of value and take care of their own lives, and families if they have them, regard any individual or agency that would use any kind of force or influence to interfere in their lives is evil, because it is.