The best method of doing philosophy

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

The best method of doing philosophy

Post by Advocate »

Yes, but...

Most ways of doing philosophy go nowhere, which is most of why the field goes nowhere. Whatever your method of inquiry, there are problems of infinite regress that needs be managed. Many philosophers get stopped at nihilism or solipsism, and many get caught in the verbal weeds. In vetting someone else's contention, the edge of the infinite regress is imminent. Rather than deep-dive into deconstruction it is much simpler to assume the truth of the statement and try to find an exception. An exception gets right to the point of either where a clarification is needed or why it's incorrect. It's a simple, elegant, efficient way of doing philosophy.

Re: The best method of doing philosophy

Post by Age »

Advocate wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:04 pm Yes, but...

Most ways of doing philosophy go nowhere, which is most of why the field goes nowhere.
The exception is that the word 'phil-o-sophy' actually originated from, and comes with the intended meaning, which is in complete contrast with what you are saying here.
Advocate wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:04 pm Whatever your method of inquiry, there are problems of infinite regress that needs be managed.
But the exception here is that there is NO 'problem of infinite regress' at all, to others, which is in complete contrast with what you are saying here.
Advocate wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:04 pm Many philosophers get stopped at nihilism or solipsism, and many get caught in the verbal weeds.
The exception here is that NOT ALL philosophers do get stopped at nihilism or solipsism, which is in complete agreement with what you are saying here. In fact, the exception is ALL True and REAL philosophers NEVER get stopped at ANY thing, which is in complete contrast with what you are saying here.
Advocate wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:04 pm In vetting someone else's contention, the edge of the infinite regress is imminent.
The exception is that this is NOT always the case, which is in complete contrast with what you are saying here.
Advocate wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:04 pm Rather than deep-dive into deconstruction it is much simpler to assume the truth of the statement and try to find an exception.
This might be simpler, but the exception is ASSUMING THE TRUTH can very simply, and all to easily, lead to a FALSE CONCLUSION.

What I find MUCH SIMPLER, as an exception, is to just look at, and speak, thee ACTUAL Truth from thee outset, which is in complete contrast from what you are saying here.
Advocate wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:04 pm An exception gets right to the point of either where a clarification is needed or why it's incorrect.
I have provided the 'exceptions', now, either, a clarification is needed, or I have shown what you have said is incorrect.

I await, excited, for your clarifying questions.
Advocate wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:04 pm It's a simple, elegant, efficient way of doing philosophy.
Just how simple, elegant, and efficient is to be soon. But, if this is as simple, elegant, and efficient as you are suggesting, and as I propose, then this will be Truly BEAUTIFUL to watch, and SEE.

By the way, the exception to 'doing philosophy', is just 'having philosophy'.

Now, to eliminate the 'need for clarification', 'having phil-o-sophy' just means having the love-of-wisdom, which just means having a love-of-learning more, or just a love of becoming wiser.

How would you propose one could actually 'do philosophy'?

By the way, I think you might have actually proposed here, so far throughout human history, maybe the best method for being FULLY understood. If you have, then thank you very much. It is very much appreciated. Unless, of course, 'an exception' comes forward.