ownership

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

ownership

Post by Advocate »

Ownership is about certainty of access and control.

Are there any questions about property this understanding can't settle?
henry quirk

Re: ownership

Post by henry quirk »

Advocate wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:34 pm Ownership is about certainty of access and control.

Are there any questions about property this understanding can't settle?
my first, best property is me: it's about a bit more than access & control

it's about self-direction & self-efficacy

you might say property (my car, my house, my typewriter, etc.) is a different category: me, I don't see the difference

my labor (my effort, my time, my intent, my will) in some fashion is dedicated to producing or acquirin' a resource, sumthin' I deem necessary

in a sense, this necessary thing is an extension of me; at the very least this necessary thing represents my investment of self, so my possession of the necessary thing is natural and -- yes -- moral
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

@henry There is a material difference between internal and external determination. Ownership in the ordinary sense is of external things that others can potentially access and control just as easily as you. Internal access and control is what we call agency or responsibility or whatever, and inherently includes aspects of things that only we can control or that no-one, even ourselves, can control. The same answer does lend a lot of insight to it, but not in the same way because it's not the same thing in that critical sense.

Property rights are about right to access and control, which only happens to apply to property. Ownership is always about property - external things we have moral or legal rights to. I came at this problem from the aspect of both consent and pet ownership. It makes no sense to consider animals as property since they are internally determined at least to some degree, and yet we treat them as such..., why? because certainty of access and control is the root of the issue.

Can ownership apply in relationships? Of course. Certainty of access and control is the only way you know you won't be cheated on, or that you'll have someone to talk to at the end of a long day. So, you have certain ownership rights in other beings, whether or not they're self-determined creatures, because certainty of access and control is a fundamental primitive of all possible forward progress - actionable certainty is the purpose of all knowledge.

I skirted a few different topics there. Which are you interested in pursuing?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Which are you interested in pursuing?

nuthin' at the moment

mebbe later