should philosophy even exist?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

NEW

Re: should philosophy even exist?

Post by NEW »

Nick_A wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:34 am New
cause without diversity in thinking, there could not be anything to discuss in the first place...
You do not seem aware of qualities of reconciliation. Discussion you describe is psychology. Its intent is to bring people together by reconciling their differences. However philosophy is the love of wisdom; the love of truth without compromise.

There is time in a person's life when they can become disappointed. They sense there is something more valuable than just exploring diversity so are willing to sacrifice opinions to experience in a new way..

Is there a way the concepts of light and dark for example could be reconciled as one? If it can, all the diverse opinions could be reconciled as well into one truth. Socrates said "I know nothing". He was aware of many opinions but was incapable of reconciling them so in reality knew nothing in terms of the goal of philosophy which is the conscious quality of truth in which wisdom Abides.

Can a person transcend the domain of partial truths, the world of opinions, and enter the domain of truth made possible through a higher quality of reconciliation we have the conscious potential to experience? Without it, pick your opinion and have at it.
You do not seem aware of qualities of reconciliation
ooh my :lol:
Discussion you describe is psychology. Its intent is to bring people together by reconciling their differences. However philosophy is the love of wisdom; the love of truth without compromise.
no it is not, or can be different,
a discussion can also bring up differences in "truth", since everyone has his or her unique path. Recognizing each others differences, sure it brings potential reconciliation,
but even more then that,
the acceptance of each other differences also, and possible enrichment trough that understanding, trough each other,
and therefore, trough recognizing each other relevance/relativity factors,

can indeed the conscious potential to experience wisdom be reached.
Is there a way the concepts of light and dark for example could be reconciled as one?
sure there is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SfZZlpfaN0 ... :roll:

And you know what? I don't know what your "truth" is, probably debating the crap out of each other, if I'm not mistaken? Seeing it as a competition/war.

but I sure know mine: I'm fond of dancing ;-)
Want to join me? :lol:

NEW

Post by NEW »

Impenitent wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:38 pm
Arising_uk wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:26 pm Seems to like a gaudy watch tho'.

-Imp
You forgot to mention his love for Rolls-Royce cars ... :wink:

he certainly was a bling pop star within his field :lol:
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

New
the acceptance of each other differences also, and possible enrichment trough that understanding, trough each other,
and therefore, trough recognizing each other relevance/relativity factors,
You are primarily concerned with sharing opinions. There is nothing wrong with it. I've been around long enough to appreciate the problems with it and why it turns in circles. So I had to contemplate what it means to transcend opinions as a seeker of truth or what Plato called knowledge
And you know what? I don't know what your "truth" is, probably debating the crap out of each other, if I'm not mistaken? Seeing it as a competition/war.
You are so used to considering light and dark as good and bad and accuse others of the same. This is normal for these times but there is no reason to believe it. Are the black pieces in chess good or bad or are they necessary for the game? You cannot understand these people who strive to transcend opinions and their partial truths for the sake of truth which calls to them from the depth of their being. As I said you don't seem aware of what the quality of reconciliation means. Feel free to dance but maybe these few who sacrifice dancing for knowledge as Plato defined it may not be as ignorant as commonly believed
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

There's plenty of ways to get filthy rich within the dream of separation.

It's just one of many roles no one is playing.

Reality is, no one is a beggar in their own kingdom. This is the wisdom of actual self knowledge/realisation.

Now, rich or poor, there is no difference, when wisdom resides in thee.

Philosophy is actually one big huge hindrence to self actualisation. Knowledge is power, power to corrupt.

Real knowledge informs the illusory nature of reality. That's the real power.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

NEW wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:25 am
but I sure know mine: I'm fond of dancing ;-)
Want to join me? :lol:

You make me feel like dancing :lol: :lol: Wooo hooo!!

Such a refreshing change to see here...I like! :mrgreen:

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

NEW wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:33 am
Impenitent wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:38 pm

-Imp
You forgot to mention his love for Rolls-Royce cars ... :wink:

he certainly was a bling pop star within his field :lol:
Although I was talking about your gnu.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Mon May 04, 2020 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:08 pm The primary function of philosophy is to make sure that the right type of questions are being asked
So then to deny its existence is to say that those questions no longer apply which is simply not true

Also if there was no philosophy then there would be no philosophy forums and this place would not exist anymore
But the fact that it does exist must mean we think philosophy has a purpose otherwise

what are we all doing here
Because humans are story tellers, and it seems the story is all there IS here...and that's why it's here. Why are cockroaches here?
What is any thing doing here?

A Human is a character in this story, and the story is inseparable from the book. Who wrote this book? Who wrote the very first book?
What came first, the writer or the story? ..neither came first, as they both arise together as one story, as the story is inseparable from the book. So the story is all there is.

This forum is in no place. This no place is every place. All things exist in the same place, and that's in the mind. We're all reading the same words on this forum/place.

Questions are of the story, they can only arise within the imagined belief of separation, within the mind, there is no such separation, for no one has ever seen a mind...it's only conceptually known in association with the story.

NEW

Post by NEW »

Nick_A wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:27 am
You are so used to considering light and dark as good and bad and accuse others of the same. This is normal for these times but there is no reason to believe it. Are the black pieces in chess good or bad or are they necessary for the game? You cannot understand these people who strive to transcend opinions and their partial truths for the sake of truth which calls to them from the depth of their being. As I said you don't seem aware of what the quality of reconciliation means. Feel free to dance but maybe these few who sacrifice dancing for knowledge as Plato defined it may not be as ignorant as commonly believed
again ...ooh my :lol: you are so right :shock:

I'm very sorry, inc my sincere apologies, and a vow.
you go right along, sacrifice dancing for knowledge as Plato defined it, very serious, and therefore "better"
If that is your "dance", so be it, that's ok too you know? ;-)

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

LOL...the path of least resistance...it's so much easier to be no one that it is to be a someone.

Ahh, pure bliss!
NEW

Post by NEW »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:40 am LOL...the path of least resistance...it's so much easier to be no one that it is to be a someone.

Ahh, pure bliss!
I don't know if this is the case,

I just know I like to dance more at the moment ;-)
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

NEW wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:02 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:40 am LOL...the path of least resistance...it's so much easier to be no one that it is to be a someone.

Ahh, pure bliss!
I don't know if this is the case,

I just know I like to dance more at the moment ;-)
I'm A LIGHT being, I'm not heavy because I'm my relative. :wink:

I am SPACE, IT weighs nothing. There is always nothing on my mind.

bahman

Post by bahman »

NEW wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:04 am I came across this peculiar person (Osho) and a video around philosophy. And if I'm not mistaken, there are others around the same subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK4aVB1uPOg

Although I don't mind philosophy myself (quite the contrary), he certainly has a point around experience, and continuous restless mind contemplation around things, that never really go anywhere.
Hell yeah. What do you want us to do? Fighting over ideas to see what is the truth.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:44 pmIdiots are part of the story...stories are Borg ideas that only reflect physicality which is not actually real, nor is it here nor there.
There are lots of stories. Some are about physicality being real, some are not. What makes you so sure about your story?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

uwot wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:51 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:44 pmIdiots are part of the story...stories are Borg ideas that only reflect physicality which is not actually real, nor is it here nor there.
There are lots of stories. Some are about physicality being real, some are not. What makes you so sure about your story?
I am the story.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

uwot wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:51 pm There are lots of stories. Some are about physicality being real, some are not. What makes you so sure about your story?
Stories are fiction because stories are made from ideas with attached meaning, all conceptual. And yet hidden beneath all concepts known, lay in plain sight is actual reality which has nothing to say about itself, actual reality never spoke a word.

There is no physicality IN the word physicality. The whole entire universe is weightless.

Last edited by Dontaskme on Tue May 05, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.