Fun with logic, Peano and Constructivism!

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Fun with logic, Peano and Constructivism!

Post by Skepdick »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:41 pm Physical entities are discrete
Which implies that existence is pre-categorized.
RCSaunders wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:41 pm and, you are right that language and mathematics are discrete (a very astute and correct observation, by the way). But all physical relationships are analog, which is why no mathematical measurement is ever absolutely exact (except by accident) because measurement is in terms of arbitrary discrete units of measure.

There is no physical infinitesimal (or infinite) which are only the extremes of arbitrary (human invented) units of measure.
Perfectly aware. Human epistemology is discrete. It does not mean ontology is.

I pointed this out elsewhere:
Skepdick wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:29 pm The mind is a Turing machine - a language recogniser, so a central philosophical question becomes thus:

Do we ever really talk about the continuum, or do we only ever talk about finite sequences of symbols that talk about the continuum?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:43 pm I pointed this out elsewhere ...
See HERE!
bahman

Post by bahman »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:02 am
bahman wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:39 pm Yes, your program is non-deterministic but it is not free.
How do you test for "freedom"?
When I don't use any algorithm to decide. I can just decide discarding all preferences.
Skepdick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:02 am How do you falsify "freedom"?
I cannot falsify it. There are time that I don't decide though and do thing according to preference.
bahman wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:39 pm No, I am not either thinking of minimising or maximising when I decide freely.
You could do it without a coin. I do it all the time.
You still haven't told me how and why you do it. If you don't know know how; and you don't know why - then why are you so sure you are doing it "freely" ?
I don't know how. I don't care why. I am just free.
bahman wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:39 pm There is no distance in integer number.
Then what is subtraction?
Subtracting tells you what is left, not distance, but amount. You have 5 apples, you eat 2, you are left by 3.
bahman wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:39 pm No. I was looking for how one can get a consistent mathematical framework that allows us the measurement at the same time explain how one can get continuum from infinitesimal.
What you are really asking is how one can get a "continuum" from discrete elements. The simple answer is - you can't.
Then how do you describe the reality that we experience. It appears continuous.
Skepdick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:02 am Mathematics is discrete because language is discrete. On metaphysical level - language is discrete because time is discrete. Humans think in beginnings and ends. Physics is discrete because a "measurement" is an effect on the measurement apparatus caused by the thing being measured.

If physics was "continuous" you can't have things like "causes" and "effects" - you'll just have a function.
Yes. Physics at is core is discrete.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

bahman wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:52 pm When I don't use any algorithm to decide. I can just decide discarding all preferences.

I cannot falsify it. There are time that I don't decide though and do thing according to preference.
So you don't have a theory as to how you do what you do? You don't actually have a conceptual model of yourself?
bahman wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:52 pm I don't know how. I don't care why. I am just free.
How do you know that you are free? Ohhh. That's right. You don't ;)
bahman wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:52 pm Subtracting tells you what is left, not distance, but amount. You have 5 apples, you eat 2, you are left by 3.
Distances. Amounts - quantities. It's a verb: quantization.
bahman wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:52 pm Then how do you describe the reality that we experience. It appears continuous.

Eh? How does reality appear continuous to a digital physicist?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:37 pm
bahman wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:52 pm When I don't use any algorithm to decide. I can just decide discarding all preferences.

So you don't have a theory as to how you do what you do.
There is no theory for free decision.
Skepdick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:37 pm Aren't you even curious to discover a conceptual model of yourself?
You cannot model free decision since it is not functional.
bahman wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:52 pm I don't know how. I don't care why. I am just free.
How do you know that you are free? Ohhh. That's right. You don't ;)
;)
bahman wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:52 pm Then how do you describe the reality that we experience. It appears continuous.

Eh? How does reality appear continuous to a digital physicist?
It confuses me. Continuous state is a physical state. How could you take it from a discrete process.