0d Lines and Circles

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: 0d Lines and Circles

Post by Skepdick »

wtf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:55 am Image

where the rightmost summation avoids the infinity sign for those so inclined.
It avoids the infinity symbol - it doesn't avoid infinity. It avoids the denotation of infinity, not the connotation of infinity.

I wonder: How long does it take the average Mathematician to perform an infinite number of summations?
wtf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:55 am That's just your lack of understanding of convergence. The sum of the sequence 9/10 + 9/100 + 9/1000 + ... IS exactly 1. That's what convergence means.
Well, you have to accuse me of "lacking understanding" least you show yourself to be a fool who has fallen into the trap of circular reasoning.

The above is only true if and only if the Sigma function is total. It would be true a posteriori the function having converged. It is not true a priori while the function is busy converging.

I am pointing out to you that functions with infinite inputs are not provably total, because functions with infinite inputs are called Turing machines.

Obviously, you can choose to pave over the halting problem and declare them total so you can practice your religion, but at that point you and I have nothing to say to each other. You have an Oracle machine. I don't.
wtf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:55 am First, please explain what you mean by a series being a total function.
I mean provably total! I mean "your Sigma-function will actually halt". And by 'halt' I mean the exact same thing Church and Turing meant.
I mean your function terminates and produces an answer, as opposed to "runs forever" if you were to actually evaluate it using pen and paper.

1. Curry-Howard isomorphism. Syntactically e.g denotationally speaking proofs are programs. To prove your series - write me an algorithm which evaluates it to 1.
2. Provable totality requires Walther recursion which mandates finite inputs.
Your can't implement your sigma function using Walther recursion because you have an open interval. [1, ∞)
3. You can't implement this using an iterator either, because iterating over infinite sets is NOT a total function!

This is what it looks like in practice https://repl.it/repls/VitalCompatibleOffice

Code: Select all

def sigma(n):
  if n == 1:
    return float(9/10**n) # HALT!
  else:
    return float(9/10**n) + sigma(n-1)

print(sigma(n=1)) # 0.9
print(sigma(n=2)) # 0.99
print(sigma(n=3)) # 0.99
print(sigma(n=16)) # 0.9999999999999999
I have re-written your series as 9/10^n + 9/10^(n-1) + 9/10^(n-2)....

It is obvious then than sigma(n) = 0.99999999999999999...
It is also obvious that sigma(∞) DOES NOT HALT
wtf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:55 am Every form of constructive or neo-intuitionistic math accepts at least some form of AC, since without it you can't get much modern math off the ground. Even quantum physics depends on functional analysis which depends on a weak form of AC. I wonder if you know any of this. You haven't convinced me.
Well, I am not a Mathematician, so I am not trying to get Math off the ground - that's your problem. I am an engineer, so I am very much trying to keep Mathematics grounded. You aren't my high-school teacher - I am not here to convince you of anything.

I accept the abstract notion of choice, and the abstract notion of a function. In particular, I accept no Mathematical function as being a magical black box. If your choice-function is one of those - it goes in the trash can.

I am happy to accept any choice-function you can realise/prove using the exact same type-theoretic notion of 'proof' introduced by Curry-Howard. If you can write an algorithm for your choice-function in Lambda calculus - you have proven your choice-function. This goes for your cardinality/ordinality functions too. Don't assume them - prove them by realising them.

I am really keen to see what kind of total function you are going to write for randomly choosing elements from infinite sets. I have so many questions , but the most nagging one being: "What is the sample mean (with and without replacement) of the Integers?"

I am super-keen to see your theoretically proven random number generator!
wtf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:55 am What world is that? You think you are in some special alternative math world
No. I think I am in a world which obeys Bremmerman's limit.

Mathematics is symbolic - like all religions.
wtf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:55 am That seems to be some sort of neo-intuitionistic approach. I'd be interested to learn more. But why this approach and not some other?
Because if the Naturals are countably-infinite, you are going to run out of universe before your series actually converges to 1.

All "completed" infinities are nonsense. A completed infinity immediately becomes a symbolic infinity, not an actual infinity.

When it comes to ∞ syntax is not semantics. The fucking etymology of the word "definition" comes from root "finite".
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Eodnhoj7 wrote:...
It really doesn't matter as all numbers exist through counting, the most basic act of counting is grounded in spatial forms (considering 99.99999 of atoms are empty), with these spatial forms represented through the line and point. ...
You really need to update your Physics model.
Considering counting is grounded in the point and line (as number exists through counting), and the line is composed of infinite 0d points only (according to your stance)...you literally have 0 foundations. ...
And move past your numerological metaphysical model as counting is grounded upon there being things or states of affairs to count.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:12 amAnd move past your numerological metaphysical model as counting is grounded upon there being things or states of affairs to count.
The counter is 0
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:12 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:...
It really doesn't matter as all numbers exist through counting, the most basic act of counting is grounded in spatial forms (considering 99.99999 of atoms are empty), with these spatial forms represented through the line and point. ...
You really need to update your Physics model.
Considering counting is grounded in the point and line (as number exists through counting), and the line is composed of infinite 0d points only (according to your stance)...you literally have 0 foundations. ...
And move past your numerological metaphysical model as counting is grounded upon there being things or states of affairs to count.
You really new to provide proof.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:40 am It is obvious then than sigma(n) = 0.99999999999999999...
It is also obvious that sigma(∞) DOES NOT HALT
Let me explain exactly the problem I have with your line of argument.

It's not that you don't understand standard math.

It's that you don't even understand computable math, which you claim to be using.

Turing (1936) defines a computable real number as a real number whose decimal representation can be computed to arbitrary precision.

Obviously NO decimal expansion "halts" if we are required to carry out the computation to infinity. Turing was smarter than that.

A real number x is computable if there is a Turing machine that, when given the input n, outputs the n-th decimal digit of x and then halts.

With this definition -- which is straight from Turing (1936) -- it's perfectly clear that .999... is a computable real number. Here's the program:

Input n
Output 9
Halt

Here is Turing's 1936 paper. Many people have vaguely heard about TMs but they don't actually understand what Turing was saying. You seem to be in that category. You don't realize that by your characterization, NO real number could be computable.

https://www.cs.virginia.edu/~robins/Tur ... r_1936.pdf

Again: If you claim that .999... is not a computable real, then neither is 1/3 = .333... or 1/2 = .5000... = .4999...

OF COURSE we can never complete an infinite computation. TURING WAS SMARTER THAN THAT. If there is a TM that outputs the n-th decimal digit of a real number and halts, then that real number is computable. If not, not.

So like I say (repeating myself again for emphasis) it's not that you don't know standard math. You don't even understand computable math. You don't know what a computable real number is and you think that NO real number can be computable. You have completely misunderstood Turing's brilliant work.

This is why I can't take you seriously. You don't even know what Turing said. You don't know what a computable real number is. You don't understand the very basics of computable math, which you CLAIM to be using as your mathematical ontology.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

wtf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:06 pm

Input n
Output 9
Halt
Black box.

In the bin.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:24 pm In the bin.
You totally misunderstand everything Turing said. It's pathetic. Flap your arms and throw insults if it makes you feel better.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

wtf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:40 pm You totally misunderstand everything Turing said. It's pathetic. Flap your arms and throw insults if it makes you feel better.
Not sure how this is possible, since at no point in this thread was I discussing Turing or analysing any of his work or claims. That was your tangent.

Turing's dead now. Focus on the Turing machine. 𝑀=(𝑄,Γ,𝑏,Σ,𝛿,𝑞0,𝑞𝑓). Irrespective of who said what about it.

The fact that you are talking about numbers (they don't exist!) and not alphabets, is only more evidence that you don't understand that Mathematics is just a formal language. Notation is all.

Turing machines are about string manipulation first and foremost. If you want numbers you have to invent them. First invent the digits. Then invent arithmetic.

I guess the part you missed is that constructivism is not about mathematics - it's about epistemology.
Last edited by Skepdick on Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:47 pm The fact that you are talking about numbers (they don't exist!) and not alphabets, is only more evidence that you don't understand that Mathematics is just a formal language. Notation is all.
I wonder why you won't address your error in claiming .999... is not a computable real number; and your total misunderstanding of Turing's definition of a computable number.

One can always adopt a formalist position regarding math, but then you have no explanation for why it turns out to be so useful. Your talking points are superficial and show that you haven't thought much about these issues.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

wtf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:16 pm I wonder why you won't address your error in claiming .999... is not a computable real number; and your total misunderstanding of Turing's definition of a computable number.
I wonder why you insist I've made any error given that I never made any such claims in context of Turing's conception/definition? YOU brought that to the table. Not me.
wtf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:16 pm One can always adopt a formalist position regarding math, but then you have no explanation for why it turns out to be so useful. Your talking points are superficial and show that you haven't thought much about these issues.
Because we invented it to be useful? And we shall turn a blind eye to all the useless maths out there.

I guess the part you missed is that constructivism is not about mathematics - it's about epistemology. Language engineering.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:19 pm I wonder why you insist I've made any error given that I never made any such claims in context of Turing's conception/definition? YOU brought that to the table. Not me.
You made the claim that .999... will "never halt." By that (stupid) criterion NO real number is computable. Hence my observation that you've neither read Turing nor understood a word he wrote.
Skepdick wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:19 pm I guess the part you missed is that constructivism is not about mathematics - it's about epistemology. Language engineering.
Again, as I pointed out earlier, you don't know the first thing about constructivism, which I've actually taken the trouble to study in some depth. Nor have you even attempted to say a single word in defense of explanation of your link to linear logic. One might get the idea that you're linking Wiki pages without any understanding. You're the king of ignorant buzzwords.

I'll let you have the last word. Nothing productive can come of this. You need to go learn some math. Standard math, constructive math, any flavor you like. Your ignorance is deep and broad.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

wtf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:28 pm You made the claim that .999... will "never halt."
No, I didn't. I made the claim that the algorithm for computing .999... (which I gave you) will never halt.

If .999... is already on the Turing machine's tape, you aren't so much "computing" it, as you are retrieving it from memory.

How did it get there?
wtf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:28 pm By that (stupid) criterion NO real number is computable. Hence my observation that you've neither read Turing nor understood a word he wrote.
No infinite precision real number are computable. Because infinities don't exist! You can approximate real numbers to some finite range.

Subject to trade-offs. It's just a choice.
wtf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:28 pm Again, as I pointed out earlier, you don't know the first thing about constructivism, which I've actually taken the trouble to study in some depth.
I practice constructivism. I construct models of reality using formalisms. I know more about constructivism than anybody who only reads books about it.

You seem to be talking strictly about mathematical constructivism though. I've said this before - all you know is mathematics.

Custructivism goes beyond maths. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construct ... istemology
wtf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:28 pm Nor have you even attempted to say a single word in defense of explanation of your link to linear logic. One might get the idea that you're linking Wiki pages without any understanding.
The link is for your education. One might get the idea that I am the luckiest person alive - since (despite my lack of understanding) I keep linking you to relevant context.

The resource interpretation of linear logic allows you to treat time as a resource which corresponds to the way a linear-bounded automaton experiences time.

Given finite time you can only perform a finite number of operations - like a CPU can only perform a finite number of instructions.
Given multiple CPUs - you can perform some tasks in parallel (which is how we use linear (temporal) logic in practice - concurrent programming ).

In order to compute any real number to infinite precision - you need to perform an infinite number of operations.
To arrive at infinite instructions/operations - you require infinite time, irrespective of parallelism.

You don't have infinite time. Computational complexity 101 stuff.
wtf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:28 pm I'll let you have the last word. Nothing productive can come of this. You need to go learn some math. Standard math, constructive math, any flavor you like. Your ignorance is deep and broad.
My ignorance of your made-up, theoretical field is as deep and broad as my ignorance of all religions.

What good has it done you learning math? All you do is talk about it, but you offer nothing of practical value.

Your 'knowledge' lacks contact with the ground.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: You really new to provide proof.
You really need to take that genius IQ back to learn basic English grammar or just use a grammar checker.

For the 'atom' stuff https://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2013/01/12 ... pty-space/.

For the numerology metaphysics just refer to all your posts that drivel on about 0 and 1.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dontaskme wrote: The counter is 0
Who are you talking to? As I thought there only you?
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:57 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: You really new to provide proof.
You really need to take that genius IQ back to learn basic English grammar or just use a grammar checker.

Or you can just reason through it and observe the word "need" fits in best.

For the 'atom' stuff https://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2013/01/12 ... pty-space/.

The article was from 2013...just type in "are atoms mostly empty space?" In Google and you will get answers from 2017-2019 saying yes.

2013....are you fu""ing serious...and after all your criticism this is what you consider scholarly?

I cannot take this site seriously anymore. I understand why the west is falling apart. This is so f""ked up on so many levels.

I hope they establish shariah law where you live.

For the numerology metaphysics just refer to all your posts that drivel on about 0 and 1.

So are you saying that numbers are not grounded in counting?
This is beyond retarded...