Moderators: AMod, iMod

lovespinoza

issue 75

Post by lovespinoza »

When does it come out?
lovespinoza

Re: issue 75

Post by lovespinoza »

Hello? Anyone there? When will issue 75 be on the web sight? Issue #74 is designated as July/August. So #75 should be September/October. And it's almost October. My monthly philosophy club bases our topics on the magazine. What's the topic? When will it be out?
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Be patient.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Hi. Sorry I didn't spot this thread before. I've been busy doing the annual accounts (ugh!) and consequently haven't been to the forum much for the last few weeks.

Issue 75 has been printed and is being sent out now. We had a couple of small delays with the transport from the printers, but the rest of the subscription copies should be on their way by the end of today (Monday).

The theme of the issue is 'Existentialism and Culture'. I'll try to post a fuller description later, but I'm off to bed now!
lovespinoza

Post by lovespinoza »

But it's still not on the web site?
Issue 74 still shows when
I log on to philosophynow.org
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Correctamento! We never put a new issue up on the website until it is physically being sent out to subscribers. Bora (our webmaster) is in the process of updating the website right now, and the new issue should be online by Wednesday.

Incidentally, Bora received his copy of Issue 75 through the post this morning, and somebody else told me today that his subscription copy had arrived. I still haven't seen a copy myself, though.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

The new issue ("Existentialism and Culture") is up on the website now, as you may have seen:

http://philosophynow.org/

Sorry it is a bit late - we usually try to get the new issue out in the last week of first month shown on the cover. (ie the Sept/Oct issue should have been out in the last week of September). Hopefully we'll return to that pattern with the November/December issue.
lovespinoza

Post by lovespinoza »

Thank you for letting us know.
Well worth the wait.
I also look forward to receiving my print copy.
I enjoy your magazine and appreciate the insights it
offers. I want to learn more about philosophy. I started
a meetup club to discuss philosophy. And the articles in
your magazine are a starting point for discussion.
puto

Post by puto »

Perfect title for this issue on existentialism. I have not received my issue, as of yet, but thank-you.
spike

Post by spike »

I wonder where my copy of issue 75 is. After all, it is Oct 26.

I thinking about this issues' topic, existentialism and culture. I am having trouble getting my head around it. Are they mutually separate or do they coexist? Do they constitute a pluralism or a paradox?

I am also thinking about the hoax that was perpetrated by the father of ballon boy in Colorado. I am wondering if he, the father, can be classified as an existentialist because of his approach to life and how he wants to directly influence or change it. Perhaps he is only a would-be existentialist who has visions of grandeur, which I think most existentialist have, full of their own self and worth.

If he is an existentialist he is feeding into the culture of the day, a culture that is complicit in his existential actions. But then, he may not be the existentialist I think he is because he has been so influenced and tainted by culture, wanting his 15 minutes of fame, wanting so much to be famous and part of the cultural scene.

The father is also a kind of geek. I am think, perhaps geeks are also existentialist because they understand existence but not essence. Perhaps, then, Sartre the existentialist was also a geek, a philosophical geek.

I think one can be both an existentialist and an abstract rationalist, like I am. It makes for a good and balanced mix.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

spike wrote:I wonder where my copy of issue 75 is. After all, it is Oct 26.
Sorry to hear this. Has it arrived yet? Whereabout in the world do you live? If you send me a PM or an email with your address I'll chase it up.

Part of the problem may be the ongoing series of postal strikes here in the UK. Some letters are getting through as normal, while others are languishing in warehouses before arriving weeks late.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

"Part of the problem may be the ongoing series of postal strikes here in the UK. Some letters are getting through as normal, while others are languishing in warehouses before arriving weeks late."

XComment:
I can't recall a postal strike in the U.S. Usage of the postal service is declining (junk mail, letters, etc.). Routes are being consolidated. The cost of postage keeps rising. Despite the latter, the postal service continues to operate at a deficit.

RickLewis wrote:
spike wrote:I wonder where my copy of issue 75 is. After all, it is Oct 26.
Sorry to hear this. Has it arrived yet? Whereabout in the world do you live? If you send me a PM or an email with your address I'll chase it up.

Part of the problem may be the ongoing series of postal strikes here in the UK. Some letters are getting through as normal, while others are languishing in warehouses before arriving weeks late.
spike

Post by spike »

Rick,

Thank you, but I got my issue Oct 29.
Skinhead

Sartre on Literature

Post by Skinhead »

Ion Georgiou's article is great. It seems to me that Sartre had a massive influence on plays, movies and literature, so this exposition helps clarify some of where he was coming from.

The obligatory digs at the apostle of existentialism being inauthentic (maybe) :roll: get a bit tired after the fist few times you hear them, though.

I do sometimes feel a bit insecure when enjoying Sartrean existentialism, as I gather that he consciously used, almost prostituted, drama and prose to spread his political message. But hey, I'm an amateur. What do our gurus think? :wink: