General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Happy New Year

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:20 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:19 pm
ForCruxSake wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:39 pm

I was at a venue next to the Shard, the tallest building in the U.K., to see in the New Year. Having seen the Shard from across London, every time I've viewed it, it looks rather less majestic standing at its feet, and so much smaller, even with its upper storey lights flashing. That's perspective for you.
It's significantly more imposing for those of us who don't get on too well with heights. I can't even look up at the Shard without feeling dizzy. This makes crossing London Bridge much trickier.
Quite an impressive building. The lifts must be right in the middle.
Why? Too cheap arse to get an innovative engineer i suppose!
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:04 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:19 pm

It's significantly more imposing for those of us who don't get on too well with heights. I can't even look up at the Shard without feeling dizzy. This makes crossing London Bridge much trickier.
Hmm. You would be going up at quite an angle otherwise. You might need to be strapped in, depending on the angle. Or have handles to hold onto. Or have to change lifts several times.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:43 am

Hmm. You would be going up at quite an angle otherwise. You might need to be strapped in, depending on the angle. Or have handles to hold onto. Or have to change lifts several times.
Yes, after I posted I thought about the sideways motion problem! A disabled person in a wheelchair would have the advantage where he\she could just lock the brakes on!
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:04 am

Yes, after I posted I thought about the sideways motion problem! A disabled person in a wheelchair would have the advantage where he\she could just lock the brakes on!
:lol: It could still tip though.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Happy new years!

I've devised a little strategy for making the most of my new year resolutions. Generally, people are lucky if they manage to do even 2 of the things they say they're going to, so Instead of just giving myself a couple resolutions with very straight forward things to do, I've given myself a requirement of doing at least one resolution a month with multi-choice options for each one. So, one thing is that I'll either get back into art school, or take up the piano again. I think this help me be much more productive than just feeling like I'm forced into a box with a bunch of stuff I don't really want to do.
vegetariantaxidermy

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:36 am Happy new years!

I've devised a little strategy for making the most of my new year resolutions. Generally, people are lucky if they manage to do even 2 of the things they say they're going to, so Instead of just giving myself a couple resolutions with very straight forward things to do, I've given myself a requirement of doing at least one resolution a month with multi-choice options for each one. So, one thing is that I'll either get back into art school, or take up the piano again. I think this help me be much more productive than just feeling like I'm forced into a box with a bunch of stuff I don't really want to do.
I believe it's 'year' singular.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

I've seen it spelled both ways. I guess it's like slang for "new year's day", but meh... same difference :)

I hope you had a good one vege. Ha, for once, we're actually talking about a holiday not exclusive to the US.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:09 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:04 am

:lol: It could still tip though.
Bloody hell woman! Just how fast are these lifts moving!!? :D
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Did it ever occur to anyone that the lift boxes would still be in the up and down orientation and it's just the movement that will change?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

thedoc wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:20 pm Did it ever occur to anyone that the lift boxes would still be in the up and down orientation and it's just the movement that will change?
Yes - up and down, but also the lift would be moving slightly in the horizontal plane, hence our little humourous banter.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Sorry for this posting being so late. But the message is nonetheless heartfelt: Happy New Year!

We're getting ready for the Philosophy Now Festival in Conway Hall on 20th Jan. If you're around, do come! It'll be a blast.

https://philosophynow.org/festival
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

RickLewis wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:45 pm Sorry for this posting being so late. But the message is nonetheless heartfelt: Happy New Year!

We're getting ready for the Philosophy Now Festival in Conway Hall on 20th Jan. If you're around, do come! It'll be a blast.

https://philosophynow.org/festival
It's never too late to wish people all the very best for - a 'new' beginning can happen anytime, can't it?
So, the message is well received with thanks and, in turn, sent out from the heart and mind in response.
All the best to all concerned with Philosophy Now !

My heart would go out to anyone thrown out of a hot air balloon...from your link...
What subject or issue is being debated ?

'...The Great Balloon Debate (chaired by Filiz Peach, organised by Philosophy For All), which offers you the chance to vote on which famous historical philosopher should be thrown out of a balloon first to stop it crashing. This year the Balloon Debate will feature:

• Martin Muchall as The Buddha (c. 563-483 BCE)
• Richard Baron as Bishop Berkeley (1685-1753)
• John Holroyd as Søren Kierkegaard (1813-1855)
• Anja Steinbauer as Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)...'

If not possible to attend, would it be possible for the PN Forum to have its own vote on the substance and style of the arguments ?
Just for a bit of fun....
A New Year blast off...
Whoosh :D