Philosophy Explorer

Re: Happy New Year

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Happy New Year.

PhilX 🇺🇸
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Happy new year. I have a little over an hour to wait, I don't know if I'll make it, or just go to bed.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Not sure which I am, but same to you AUK. :)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Yes I hope you all have a happy New Year, not sure I could philosophically consider anyone I only know through this internet forum a friend or foe, and I certainly can't be bothered debating that one!

AUK - You were the first to take me on back in 2011 and I enjoyed our debate with a few interjections from Chaz Wyman. I like the way you debate, and use the quote system as I do, without colouring and font changes, and clearly showing who is stating what.
There have been times where I have used foul language where my short fuse has burned to the end, and to all that have had read any of that, I sincerely apologise, I will attempt to curb that as a NY resolution for this forum.

Best wishes to you all
atto
Last edited by attofishpi on Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Happy new year, cari amici.

It´s good to have someone to talk to, even if this person is more an illusion than a reality.

But:
A support group with illusionary interlocuters has real effects and this is the main thing.

I was one time in Southhampton, by mistake, because the American who was driving misinterpreted the signs saying "for high lorries this way" and we ended up in Southhampton due to them. My job was to remind him to keep to the left side instead of to the right. In the beginning he was overdoing keeping to the left by bumping into the curb.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

duszek wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:33 pmI was one time in Southhampton, by mistake, because the American who was driving misinterpreted the signs saying "for high lorries this way" and we ended up in Southhampton due to them. My job was to remind him to keep to the left side instead of to the right. In the beginning he was overdoing keeping to the left by bumping into the curb.
That's hilarious! A Titanic mistake. :wink:
duszek

Post by duszek »

What strikes you as unusual in the UK when you come back home after a long stay in Australia ?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

duszek wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:47 pm What strikes you as unusual in the UK when you come back home after a long stay in Australia ?
I left England when I was fifteen, what amazes me, is how 'quaint' places are...places that I used to think were not so aesthetically pleasing - like where my Nan lives - it amazed me, many years ago when I returned, its a lovely area. In Australia there's a lot of single story 'bungalows'. The houses in England in areas have a charm that I had never come to realise.

As far as unusual is concerned - it has to be the entire town - many of the places I loved as a I child, especially the Southampton swimming baths where me and many a friend would spend time on a a weekend have been knocked down and rebuilt - and in my opinion - are rubbish compared to what used to be there.

The Bargate is still there and the city walls that defended the city where me and my friends used to walk around occasionally in summer after a swim at the pool - but now the city is starting to extend over those walls and cutting off part that we used to walk back from...walls that originated in the 10th century. The history is amazing.
duszek

Post by duszek »

What makes things look quaint might be the size.
When I was in London once I was surprised how small the Tower of London was in reality. On a picture in a text book it looks huge and threatening, in reality small like for kids to play in.
In former times everything used to be much smaller, including people themselves.

The authentic harnishes for knights that we can see when visiting old castles are like for today´s teenagers.

One theory is that people grow very tall nowadays because of dairy consumption.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

duszek wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:15 pm What makes things look quaint might be the size.
When I was in London once I was surprised how small the Tower of London was in reality.
I was at a venue next to the Shard, the tallest building in the U.K., to see in the New Year. Having seen the Shard from across London, every time I've viewed it, it looks rather less majestic standing at its feet, and so much smaller, even with its upper storey lights flashing. That's perspective for you.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

ForCruxSake wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:39 pm
duszek wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:15 pm What makes things look quaint might be the size.
When I was in London once I was surprised how small the Tower of London was in reality.
I was at a venue next to the Shard, the tallest building in the U.K., to see in the New Year. Having seen the Shard from across London, every time I've viewed it, it looks rather less majestic standing at its feet, and so much smaller, even with its upper storey lights flashing. That's perspective for you.
It's significantly more imposing for those of us who don't get on too well with heights. I can't even look up at the Shard without feeling dizzy. This makes crossing London Bridge much trickier.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:19 pm
ForCruxSake wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:39 pm
It's significantly more imposing for those of us who don't get on too well with heights. I can't even look up at the Shard without feeling dizzy. This makes crossing London Bridge much trickier.
Quite an impressive building. The lifts must be right in the middle.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

One can only hope!