Philosophical Counselling - what's it all about?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Philosophical Counselling - what's it all about?

Post by marjoram_blues »

What is Philosophical Counselling? How would you define it ? Can it help with life problems ?
How does it differ from any other type of counselling or therapy?

Questions prompted by the 'Survival techniques...' thread.
Responses there so far:...see thread if interested.
( edited to delete )

So far then, distinctions have been made based on gender and age. But still no real answer defining 'Philosophical Counselling' and how it might differ from perhaps the smaller version: philosophical counselling. Or other kinds of advice/experience found in schools or at campsites.
Is it something even worth considering ?
Last edited by marjoram_blues on Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Re: Philosophical Counselling - what's it all about?

Post by Walker »

Stated at the risk of sparking exodus to other countries, philosophical counseling is to apply general principles to specific situations of life, as advice.

- Example: the principle of self-reliance would be applied by building a cabin in the woods by Walden Pond and go to Ma’s on Sunday for dinner and pie.

- Example: the principle of Stoicism would be applied as abstinence from whining and bitching.

- Example: the principle of community activism would be applied as whining, corporate shakedowns with threatened lawsuits and bad publicity, and race baiting.

- Example: the principle of I’m right and you’re wrong if you disagree with me, would be applied as non-cooperation with election results and subverting the honest efforts of the new POTUS administration, honest efforts to fulfill the promises that got him elected by the voice of the very people who he has sincerely promised from the heart, to never let down.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

OK. So there are various websites out there which provide insight into this.
For example:
society-for-philosophy-in-practice.org
timlebon.com/philcouns.htm
peterraabe.ca/what.html

Having read through them - basically they all rely on past philosophers quotes re how philosophy is much more than theoretical arguments; it is about how to live the goodlife. Then, use of appropriate philosophical methodology to examine bias and assumptions in individual's worldview. Listen, discuss and change any troublesome and complex life issues - usually existential or ethical dilemmas.
For that - you need a philosophy degree and post-graduate courses in philosophical counselling.
Some overlap with psychology and cognitive therapies, without labelling or medication.
And that's about it: correcting faulty thinking and encouraging individuals to take up the tools to think for themselves.
Over and out.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker wrote:Stated at the risk of sparking exodus to other countries, philosophical counseling is to apply general principles to specific situations of life, as advice.

- Example: the principle of self-reliance would be applied by building a cabin in the woods by Walden Pond and go to Ma’s on Sunday for dinner and pie.

- Example: the principle of Stoicism would be applied as abstinence from whining and bitching.

- Example: the principle of community activism would be applied as whining, corporate shakedowns with threatened lawsuits and bad publicity, and race baiting.

- Example: the principle of I’m right and you’re wrong if you disagree with me, would be applied as non-cooperation with election results and subverting the honest efforts of the new POTUS administration, honest efforts to fulfill the promises that got him elected by the voice of the very people who he has sincerely promised from the heart, to never let down.
Thanks for your thoughts, Walker.
Philosophical Counselling seems to be about trained academic philosophers helping individuals to think better; correct any bias and assumptions etc so that they can learn the art of living well. See my previous post.
It is about listening to the individual and perhaps using knowledge of various philosophical theories and methods to introduce a philosophy, appropriate and suiting.
Your examples and language do not reflect any deep or careful thinking.
Walker

Post by Walker »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Walker wrote:Stated at the risk of sparking exodus to other countries, philosophical counseling is to apply general principles to specific situations of life, as advice.

Philosophical Counselling seems to be about trained academic philosophers helping individuals to think better; correct any bias and assumptions etc so that they can learn the art of living well. See my previous post.
It is about listening to the individual and perhaps using knowledge of various philosophical theories and methods to introduce a philosophy, appropriate and suiting.
The thanks is all on this side of table, for revealing your purpose.

Comparing your conclusion to your thought process of borrowing unaccredited opinions while eschewing any originality of relevance, serves to frame your lack of comprehension of what you yourself wrote, into the proper perspective when observing your displayed method for seeking benefit in action, and for seeking loss.

May your day be interesting.
duszek

Post by duszek »

A person who is not religious might have a problem with this:

What´s the point of having children and trying to make the earth a better place to live ?
Humanity will not survive anyway, finally the sun will stop shining and all life on earth will stop.

Going to Mars or to some other planet to settle there is a joke.

Such a person might need some philosophical arguments from a philosophical counseller.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:

Comparing your conclusion to your thought process of borrowing unaccredited opinions while eschewing any originality of relevance, serves to frame your lack of comprehension of what you yourself wrote, into the proper perspective when observing your displayed method for seeking benefit in action, and for seeking loss.

Sorry. I have had a bad day and I now feel like deleting whole thread. No longer of any interest. I will edit the OP and delete named posters contributions from other thread.
Last edited by marjoram_blues on Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

duszek wrote:A person who is not religious might have a problem with this:

What´s the point of having children and trying to make the earth a better place to live ?
Humanity will not survive anyway, finally the sun will stop shining and all life on earth will stop.

Going to Mars or to some other planet to settle there is a joke.

Such a person might need some philosophical arguments from a philosophical counseller.
Thanks, duszek, but I have lost my appetite to discuss this topic. Perhaps someone else...
Walker

Post by Walker »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Walker wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:

Sorry. I have had a bad day and I now feel like deleting whole thread. No longer of any interest. I will edit the OP and delete named posters contributions from other thread.
Well, bad days can be interesting too, that is unless you’re blindly locked into a perspective of seeking loss, or fixated on making lemons out of sweet lemonade, or in the habit of defining situations as problems, or other low energy states of consciousness.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
Walker wrote: The thanks is all on this side of table, for revealing your purpose.

Well, bad days can be interesting too, that is unless you’re blindly locked into a perspective of seeking loss, or fixated on making lemons out of sweet lemonade, or in the habit of defining situations as problems, or other low energy states of consciousness.
Ah yes, I vaguely recalll your previous natterings of some nutty 'Nein, Nein, Nein theory'.
Bye, bye Walker.
Celebritydiscodave2

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

Good counsellors have natural ability so are instinctive, and whilst they do n`t require to be told what "philosophical counselling" is supposed to mean all of their counselling is just this, philosophical in its nature. What would be genuinely interesting is if an individual were to come here and try to make an argument for counselling devoid of being philosophical, now if successful that would be truly something.

"In the event of a death the first thing to be assured is that you are not alone, that thousands of other individuals are going through just what you are now. This is lives most severe test, but to fail it is of no use to you, the deceased, nor to anybody else, so there is in reality no alternative but to fight back to your previous state of equilibrium". I cannot imagine that their advice could be too different from that.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Aaliyah wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:31 pm Hi i am new to the board. I was wondering what philosophers would philosophical counseling use to address the issue of depression due to a wife's death?
I am sorry for your loss.

It is natural and right that you feel sad. You need to grieve. Grieving is not to be confused with depression, and I just wondered if you know that.
Seleucus

Post by Seleucus »

I ♥ Huckabees (2004) is about philosophical counseling.
pilgrim1917

Post by pilgrim1917 »

Hello, I'm new to this discussion, but I admit I do not know what philosophical counseling is. I'm a licensed counselor, too. So, mind if I listen for a bit?
pilgrim1917

Post by pilgrim1917 »

Seleucus wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:54 pm I ♥ Huckabees (2004) is about philosophical counseling.
I did see the movie. I found it interesting but disorganized. In what way was it about phil. coun.? Thank you.