Can you do cursive writing (US)?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

Re: Can you do cursive writing (US)?

Post by bobevenson »

Can I do cursive writing? Yes, I curse all the time.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:10 am
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:55 pmChildren in the UK never stopped learning to write.

I find what this thread implies about the US educational system horrifying.
Why do you find it horrifying? Is teaching children to write the same language, but in a different font, such an important milestone to their education? What practical use does it have, besides not understanding when other people use it? I think it would be far more intriguing and beneficial if we taught people to use Morse, and other basic coding.
How sad. You claimed that you cannot read or write handwritten notes.
Morse code is all but redundant, handwriting is not.
You want to impose this failing onto others?
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:56 pmHow sad.
That I can't read.... in a certain font?
You claimed that you cannot read or write handwritten notes.
Well, I'm pretty sure I can read or write hand-written print just fine.
Morse code is all but redundant, handwriting is not.
You want to impose this failing onto others?
I mean, morse code is still mandatory to know in certain military fields like the traffic guard, and learning to write in basic codes certainly has benefits for things like programming. But really, I'm just showing how there are things far more important. Ultimately, I really don't think cursive has this trove of benefits that calls for you to automatically denounce the idea of those who feel they don't need to learn/teach it anymore as something 'horrifying'. The main benefit, is that you know what other people are saying when they use it - which is, ironically, only perpetuated by the problem of teaching it in the first place.

People can be pretty passionate about tradition, but when boiled down, it's really just a different font. It sounds crazy to me, that anyone should be so obsessed with such a thing. Of course I realize its historical prevalence, but I wish we could put such silliness aside, and work on the things that really matter to improve the US education system going forward - like fighting against creationism and intelligent design being taught as a supplemental lesson, revising our common core entirely, and discouraging students from chasing after careers of pseudoscience like 'natural medicine'.